Psychiatrists Slam Phil, Cedars

1/6/2008 8:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eight psychiatrists tell TMZ they are shocked Cedars Sinai Medical Center let Dr. Phil go up to Britney Spears' room without her prior knowledge or consent.
Dr. Phil, Britney Spears
The shrinks had various things to say about Dr. Phil's visit to Brit's room, but the theme was unified -- that the hospital should not allow any doctor who does not have in-patient privileges into a patient's room, unless that patient has given prior consent. TMZ has learned Britney had no idea Dr. Phil was coming to her room and indeed when he walked in she became agitated and walked out. She eventually came back in and he pretty much did all the talking for around 15 minutes.

One psychiatrist called it "intrusive and inappropriate." Another shrink told us the hospital "is supposed to be a safe place. If the patient doesn't want to see someone, that person doesn't get in -- period."

Another shrink, who said he was "outraged and disgusted," added, "It is incredible that the hospital allowed Dr. Phil in her room. It's a total violation of her rights."

One doc surmised bluntly the hospital was "star struck" and let the TV doctor's profile override its judgment.

We're told early yesterday the show wanted to book Brit for a TV intervention that is being taped on Monday. We're told she wants nothing to do with it, and the show will not have her on. We're also told Brit's parents, who wanted Dr. Phil to visit Britney, had agreed at least initially to be on the program.

One shrink said splashing a private medical matter on TV and saying it's an intervention -- especially without the proper medical diagnosis -- is no way to run a railroad.

I THINK BRITNEY ROCKS

Barbara Fain you do mean Dr Phil will exploit Britney like TMZ right?

$

I agree with earlier commenters that Oprah is to blame for ushering in a perverse 'entertainment' culture that has glamorizes perverts like Brit - McGraw & Hussein Obama.

arlenepr

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder. I was blessed with an excellent psychiatrist who did not rush to judgement and it took about two years for an accurate diagnosis. Of course it has been difficult for me to accept that I needed medication for the rest of my life and I have slacked of when I felt so "good" that I thought I didnt need my meds. Of course I suffered the consequences because the depression when you come of the Mania is the worst thing in the world. I am appalled that the hospital woild let anybody from the media go into her room and invade her privacy. And that is exactly what Dr. Phil is, media, not a doctor. A psychiatrist would never expose and exploit a patient the way he does on his shows. Britney has serious issues, mental and I truly believe addiction problem, the combination is lethal. The boys should not be with her, period. But that does not strip her of her legal right to privacy in a hospital. Does the Hippa Law not apply to celebrities, regardless of how famous or infamous they are? Were I Britney I would sue the hell out of Cedars and Dr. Phil. That hospital would be called the Spears Hospital insteads of Cedars Sinai. WHAT DO YOU FOLKS THINK?

Karen F

What will you all do when she commits suicide? It will be caused by you all ! You need to leave her alone. PERIOD. Right down to PHIL. He lost my respect now. I am a medical professional. Has he even heard of the HIPPA laws?

tkt

Someone asked why her parents gave dr. phil permission to see Brit -- because he's going to pay them both lots o money to go on his show Monday for this "intervention." SICK

childrenforsaletoweirdopopstar

Dr. Phil tried to cash in on Britney. That's what all of the people around her, including her parents, have tried to do over the years. This so-called "psychological expert" was TOTALLY UNETHICAL in announcing his visit and his opinion. If he IS professionally licensed in anything in the state of California, he should have that license taken away. What kind of parents send a TV "star" in to talk to their daughter? Showbiz is what makes her situation even worse. I cannot believe this Dr. McGraw clown actually released a statement about his visit to Ms. Spears. His actions in this situation are going to come back to bite him in the butt. He has lost my respect.

GetUseToIt

What an ass! What about HIPPA and patients rights. He had no right to go to her room and then even less right to make it public.

Sraeps Tirb

He just certified himself as a whore... Welcome to the block of losers, Phil! Your place is just left of Lindsay and Paris. Enjoy.

You know, there really should be something in place, like a World Court. Just so we can banish and rid the planet of all the stupid people...like Brit, Phil, Lindsey, Paris, et cetera, et cetera... That way we never have to hear about them again.

Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum...

ed

Any medical or professional organization of which "Dr." Phil is a member should investigate him. His actions in this case seem to go against every medical concern.

$

McGraw earned a PhD so can be called doctor - he is no M.D. doctor of course!

Who is hated most - Brit or Phil or Oprah-Obama?

Dawn

Dr. Phil's behavior moves far beyond the professional!!! Harpo Productions supports him..i.e. Oprah, and if I've now discovered she is nothing more than a rating whore, I will question EVERYTHING about her. Brittney has serious problems, which are NOT our business or problems....it is a shame she is a wealthy CHILD.

jabba

The real professionals weigh in--thank goodness!!! Let's see how Dr. Phil spins this crap!! Does he just think he can waltz into any hospital--even the ones where he has to practicing rights and FIX everyone. Guess so. But what does that say for the hospital? Man this situation gets more strange by the minute. How is it workin' for ya Dr. Phil--you jerk!! It would have been different if you traveled in the cloak of darkness and with a private air about ya....but NO, let's call TMZ and make it REAL public. I hope you read these entries you phoney.

Stephanie

Dr.phil is an idiot, his wife is stupid too. haha.

Britneygetbetter

But at least Dr. Phil is TRYING to be proactive. He's stepping up to try to help her. Where are all these other professionals out there? She needs help fast, and he's trying. Too bad he's doing it for his T.V. show. It would be more impressive if he was trying to help her without the cameras out of the goodness of his heart. But someone needs to step in, without cameras, and help her as a fellow human being, not for publicity, money and fame.

Ms.Procrastinator

Besides being a media whore, Dr. Phil is also an IDIOT to involve himself with this trainwreck in any way whatsoever. Seeing the video of his wife, at home, checking the mail, totally creeped me out because I would imagine neither Phil nor his wife will enjoy the new intrusiveness they are experiencing thanks to his greed. This could seriously damage his career, but it just never occurred to him because all he could see was $$$. What a fool.