Songwriters to Avril -- You're Off the Hook

1/15/2008 5:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Avril LavigneThe guys who accused Avril Lavigne of stealing their song, "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" for her own "Girlfriend" have relented, and are "satisfied" that any "similarities" are just a big co-inky-dink. That wasn't complicated!

Avril was sued back in July by Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer for copyright infringement over their 1979 song, which seemed to have a similar chorus. Now, Dunbar and Gangwer have issued the following statement completely renouncing their suit:

"We are satisfied that any similarities between the two songs resulted from Avril and Luke's use of certain common and widely used lyrics. We therefore completely exonerate Avril and Luke from any wrongdoing of any kind in connection with the claims made by us in our lawsuit."

rockstarr26

ive said it before and ill say it again...
they never should have lied in the first place by marketing her as a songwriter.
PLUGGEDIN.COM

Amy

I need to write a song that someone can steal so I could get a nice check.

This type of thing has happened a lot over the years, but thanks to the power of the internet, if you steal some little local indy persons song, more people are going to know about it these days.

hottiemchot

F**k that rat-faced, talentless twit

Sad

When Avril sees those 2 guys on a street, she's going to spit on them....maybe say 'F**K YOU! How come she hasn't done that to Britney or Paris? Would love to see that!!! At least she doesn't lip sync and has a good voice. What do you think?

Neil

Let out of the TMZ article is the fact that they reached a confidential settlement. Makes a big difference that they got paid by Lavigne. Get it together TMZ!

FRED LUINING, 2008 AMERICAN IDOL!

PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR NEW AMERICAN IDOL, FRED LUINING!

I wrote a song and I need you to help me promote it for when I get to Hollywood. I made the American Idol Philly audition last night and I'm so excited I can't sleep!!!! My song has a really sick beat! It goes like this...
"RAP BAP BUBBLE IN YO UNDERWAYAHH,
GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE GOES YOUR UNDERWAYAHH!!
Ain't dat da beazel bomb baby???!! Are ya feelin it?

CALL 1-403-714-4128 iT'S FREE!

Please vote for me TMZ Bloggers!

wtf

That's because they settled...in other words....she paid them off...old news Harvey

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3