Brad Renfro Had a Son -- Who Knew?

1/22/2008 1:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroTMZ has confirmed that Brad Renfro had a young son who lives in Japan with his mom -- and the family is trying to keep details about the boy under wraps.

TMZ spoke with Renfro's dad, Mark, and his step-mom, Kim, who would not reveal their grandson's name or age in order to protect his privacy. They placed an obit in a local paper that simply listed his name as "Y Renfro."

Kim told us, "We did expect this because people didn't know he had a son. But we're very thankful Brad got to see his son before he died."

Brad was recently in Tennessee with the boy, spending time with the family.

A source close to Renfro, who spent a lot of time with the actor in the months before his death, tells TMZ she didn't know he had a child.

CK

# 10... actually, I mis-spoke. it's more of a grammar issue, and not that big of an issue really. I am just appauled that the storey even exists, so I was lashing out. I just think, no matter how juicy the gossip, when a kid is involved, there has to be some sort of self-filtering... meaning TMZ should have the RIGHT to say whatever they want, but the CLASS to know when they should or not.

Adrienne

I agree, I think kids should be off limits too

Adrienne

I agree, I think kids should be off limits too

KJ

I am so sorry he was not able to grasp on to his life and kick this ugly habit of drugs He was a talented actor with a lot of potential, but also with a lot of inner demons. In a way he reminds me of the late River Phoenix. My heart breaks for him and his family. Let's hope he has found peace.

Nicole

So what? My sympathy is with the family but for the rest of us....so what? Let them grieve in peace/

Robert

found this:

January 22, 2008
According to a witness, Brad Renfro had a closed casket at his funeral. His family did not want any photos of him taken.

One of his survivors was his four year old son listed as 'Y. Renfro'. Supposedly the 'Y' is the child's actual real first initial and is a Japanese name, 'Yamato'. The child's mother is named 'Reiko'. Could she be an actress? Maybe. Imdb.com does list a 'Reiko'.

Brad will be interred at Red House Cemetary in Blaine, TN.
Posted by inthestars at January 22, 2008 02:38 AM

Kelli

Thats effed up. Shame onTmz if they are outing this story. Harv, KARMA BABY!

I'm Just Sayin'...

#16 - CK....

Not only is it not a spelling issue, but it isn't a grammar issue either. It's a matter of opinion- yours. And speaking of spellcheck, you may want to keep an eye out for your own spelling mistakes...

Anon

Hey CK, you shouldn't talk about spell check because the correct way to spell apauled is appalled.

Robert

January 22, 2008

Brad will be interred at Red House Cemetary in Blaine, TN.

Posted by inthestars at January 22, 2008 02:38 AM

megh

and the right way to spell STORY is STORY and *not* STOREY.

megh

CK

lol, seriously, in these types of forums, it is actually acceptable netiquette to overlook spelling and grammer issues, yet when a story is PUBLISHED, it should be spell checked. AND I just said it's really not a matter of spelling and took responsiblity for being WRONG. IT ABSOLUTELY IS A GRAMMAR ISSUE IN THAT TMZ CORRECTED THE ERROR!!!! THAT'S WHY YOU NO LONGER SEE IT!!!!! IT said "TMZ spoke with his Renfro's dad" and they corrected it to say what it says now. Your turn to apologize.

CK

megh, see previous comment...

Adrienne

23. and the right way to spell STORY is STORY and *not* STOREY.

megh

Posted at 11:50AM on Jan 22nd 2008 by megh iyer

should that be "the correct way"....

megh

Ah, I apologize CK. No hard feelings.

xoxox