Brad Renfro Had a Son -- Who Knew?

1/22/2008 1:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroTMZ has confirmed that Brad Renfro had a young son who lives in Japan with his mom -- and the family is trying to keep details about the boy under wraps.

TMZ spoke with Renfro's dad, Mark, and his step-mom, Kim, who would not reveal their grandson's name or age in order to protect his privacy. They placed an obit in a local paper that simply listed his name as "Y Renfro."

Kim told us, "We did expect this because people didn't know he had a son. But we're very thankful Brad got to see his son before he died."

Brad was recently in Tennessee with the boy, spending time with the family.

A source close to Renfro, who spent a lot of time with the actor in the months before his death, tells TMZ she didn't know he had a child.

Lanie

he should NOT have been drinking and it sucks that his friends totally let him down.

I am both sad and pizzed off right now. This didn't need to happen! It's just awful.

By the way, I read his son is 4 years old -- for those wondering.

GothamObserver

Brad's family probably didn't want to acknowledge the fact that there is a direct heir to their son's residuals. People get greedy! Do we really care if this poor soul fathered a child? I think not! I don't think anyone is flying to Asia in search of a kid who probably was not even supported by his suicidal sperm donor.

megh

lol Adrienne I already apologized to CK. He made a point.

megh

Lanie

I think his childs name deserved to be in the obit. How could they NOT include it? As far as everyone finding out -- well, he probably told many people but he hasn't given an interview in a long time. Maybe he just never had the chance to share it with the world?

Of course attention will be garnered that he had a child. That makes his story that much more tragic. But, for people who are saying he wanted to keep it quiet- you don't know that... and I am sure if he knew he was going to die, he would have wanted his son included in his obit.

Lanie

Since the spell check police are out today -- I need to correct my own typo - I meant shot, not shoot.

megh

On track, his son's existence has been denied by him, for whatever reason. If not now, it will come out later... also imagine the plight of the little boy having (or maybe who HAD) a father that was ashamed to acknowledge his existence. I feel bad for the little kid. :(

megh

Lanie

Poor Brad. Barely a mention anywhere in the news about him. I always thought he was hot stuff, even though I am a little older than him.

His death got no attention. TMZ broke the story about his death with a very short little blurb, then about his tattoo with a short little blurb.. and no the existence of a son - with a little blurb.

Other than that - he seems to have been forgotten by Hollywood. Oh how they love to turn out those child stars but when they grow up. Get a belly, start balding a little and don't look like the cute little tweens they were - they totally discard them.

By the way, this guy was in some overly sexualized movies at a very young age. I read an interview with some pervert who said he took a picture of Brads penis - when brad was 17. I looked up the dudes name, turns out he is like 47-ish now. He was almost 40 taking pictures of Brad at the urinal.

The story is way more sordid than that but let's just say that he may have been "used" Lou Pearlman-style by some Hollywood types. Not this interviewer particularly.. but who knows?

Maybe he couldn't get over it all. it's all too horrible and it's the seedy world that celebrities live in - where Drew Barrymore was clubbing and going to parties by age 8.

Hollywood should be ashamed.

Cj

Please TMZ give this poor child and morning family the privacy they deserve!!! My prayers are with you all. There is an innocent child involved here, that obviously his father was trying to protect from the media glare. Give him the same respect!!!

sheez

#16 CK spellcheck is not that difficult. lol Have a great day!

Junie T.

I have to say that I am more than a little shocked that anyone cares about how CK spells. The article was wrong when it was first printed and it has been corrected. I somehow doubt that most of us are good spellers...especially considering our mistakes are immediately corrected by whatever computer we are on. The only way to really catch grammar mistakes is to read your own typing. Something TMZ obviously didn't do when they wrote the article. Thank you TMZ for correcting it so we can all move past the grammar error in the article. If I spell something wrong on my message...I hope it doesn't detract from what we are all really doing on this message board. We are all sad that a young person, who struggled in his life, wasn't able to overcome those struggles. It is particularly disheartening when it is someone famous because we all know what that person looks like, what their bio says about them, and information or gossip that is reported about them. Brad was a good actor who made a lot of mistakes in his life. His family has done Brad a service...for the first time that I've ever heard...by not publicly stating the name of his little son. RIP Brad and my condolences to his family. Now, give it a rest.

Junie T.

Specailk007 - I had to laugh when I read your posting about becoming pregnant while on birth control. My neighbor showed everyone sonogram pictures of her baby which was situated just beside her IUD. LOL. Luckily, they were a happily married couple who rolled with the punches. They ended up with a beautiful baby girl. Somehow, given Brad's lifestyle, I doubt that was the situation for him though...don't you think? I guess we will never know. I hope little Y grows up hearing grand stories about his dad. While his demons go the best of him he certainly had a lot of talents.

Junie T.

Oops, I just read my own posting -- "go" should have been "got". LOL.

Whatever

Who is this guy anyway??????????

David

thanks to pointless media, with no real news to ever report on, Brad may become more famous being dead then he ever did being alive. What has he really done in the past 10 years? He spent time in Knoxville scoring drugs from the ghetto and getting roles in crap films with other has-beens or never-beens. If no one had ever meantioned that he was dead, we may have never noticed he was gone. I grew up in Knoxville. Of all the great people to have come from or passed through there, Brad was never been one of the people we claim. In the mid 90's maybe, but not since. TMZ, find something better to talk about!

Van Zant Rocks

Brad Renfro passing away is a real tragedy. It's a tragedy for Brad's loved one's, a tragedy for Brad, a tragedy for the thousand's of people that received pay checks as a direct result of Brad's line of work. It's unfortunate the extremely limited Media coverage has focused on Brad's stumbles in life instead of his lengthy accomplishments...TMZ, Entertainment Tonight, Showbiz tonight all continue pummeling us with silly trashy non-news about Britney Spears. I don't give a rat's ass how many Gas Stations Britney stop's at per night for Intentional Photo Op's. The world has lost a very talented young man. Brad Renfro Has Not Received the respect & acknowledgment in the Media he is most certainly overdue...! I admire his extreme privacy & not selling his private life out to the vultures Britney chase's and the vultures that chase Britney back. Real Entertainment news is being overlooked to update us where Britney farted last & what accent she used. Give us a break, the public deserves better & so does Brad Renfro. I have 100% admiration for a true actor that didn't sell out to the Big budgeted Hollywood Remakes like legions of other actors. Renfro was an actor's actor. No B.S., no pretense, no publicist to give us lame excuses like: "He's suffering from exhaustion." Brad answered for his stumbles in life & made no excuses when they occured. The media seems to forget Drug & Alcohol Addiction kills people in all walks of life. It's a disease that doesn't discriminate. Unlike the media,i.e. TMZ & others that choose to focus on this young man's disease instead of his umpteen accomplishments. God Bless Brad Renfro & God Bless Heath Ledger....Heaven's a better place.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments