Brad Renfro Had a Son -- Who Knew?

1/22/2008 1:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroTMZ has confirmed that Brad Renfro had a young son who lives in Japan with his mom -- and the family is trying to keep details about the boy under wraps.

TMZ spoke with Renfro's dad, Mark, and his step-mom, Kim, who would not reveal their grandson's name or age in order to protect his privacy. They placed an obit in a local paper that simply listed his name as "Y Renfro."

Kim told us, "We did expect this because people didn't know he had a son. But we're very thankful Brad got to see his son before he died."

Brad was recently in Tennessee with the boy, spending time with the family.

A source close to Renfro, who spent a lot of time with the actor in the months before his death, tells TMZ she didn't know he had a child.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

TCurry

A son? Who is Brad?

Sesa Jkt,Id

Oh My God,,Brad had a son?? Kapan dia Married nya??

Kelly

Brad loved his son very much and his son is nobody elses business but his and his familys. He didnt need to tell the world about it, whats the problem? He was a good friend to me and i agree with the comments regarding his myspace page- those 'friends' were not true to him by letting him drink, they were just out for what they could get off him. In all my time with him i would never let him touch a drop, these losers should have done the same instead of encouraging him, and maybe he would still be with us today.

Mariah

I had said that in another post somewhere and was "shot down" so to speak. People Magazine had actually done a story on him about how he had cleaned up and had a girlfriend and infant child at the time. Glad to see my memory isn't going yet!!

Jones7682

First off I'd like to say, good for him keeping his child out of the public eye. Too many celebs are so eager for money that they sell "babies first picture" for millions, what's the point. Big deal you had sex and had a child just like everyone else in the world. Secondly, did anyone think maybe he didn't want anymore bad publicity? Look at all the crap Jaime Lynn getting, and she's trying to be responsible for her actions, not rushing into mariage, still getting an education, etc. Life happens, some people accept it others don't. What I can say is, Brad is no longer with us, he can't defend himself. Why all the negativness about him having a child? He lived his life the way he wanted, maybe he made some wrong decisions, but they were his. His child may never "know " his father on a personal level, but he can "know" him the ways that fans did. He may be gone, but you can still watch all his amazing movies, or watch interviews. It's very sad that he was taken so soon, but the way I look at it is things do hapen for a reason. May he finally rest in peace. ( To all those out there that are always spell checking and gramar checking, sorry. I'm not the best speller, and quit frankly I don't care. I got my point across)

Jeremain