Heath Had Substance Abuse Problem

1/22/2008 7:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Heath Ledger had a substance abuse problem. A Ledger confidante tells us he had been clean for a year.

Contrary to several published reports, we're told Ledger had not been in rehab.

Norm

Tragic. An amazing talent.

Questions? Who, exactly, has pills of any kind "scattered" all over the room? Ever? For what reason?

Sad, sad.

jondeez

I am truly shocked and devastated to hear that Heath Ledger is gone. What a horrific tragedy. I am having a great deal of difficulty accepting this. What drugs were found around him? Why are police being so secretive? I still cannot believe this. He was such a huge talent with extraordinary potential. Was there a suicide note left? This is just so sad And how can they conclude so quickly it was an accident? Unreal..

Jamie

thks or the movies

jemms

THIS IS SO HORRIBLY SAD...I AM IN SHOCK, I CANT EVEN IMAGINE HOW HORRIBLE MICHELLE WILLIAMS AND THE REST OF HIS FAMILY MUST FEEL. MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THEM.

lindsay

it was OTC sleeping pills!!! not herion you idiots!!!

k

This is a sad day for the industry..May the angels of heaven welcome a spirited soul such as this one and watch over his family. You will be missed Heath.....

elizabetta

this is just too sad to take in...such a beautiful man with a wonderful family...even though people are separated, they can still maintain a relationship for the sake of a child...I remember when I first noticed him he was in Monsters Ball and, even though he had a small part, he was just so good in it...personally, his performance in Brokeback Mountain was one of the best ever...he was just so believable...this is awful for him and his family. If it was suicide I'm glad he is at peace but if it wasnt what a real tragedy.

Alexa

OMG What a heartbreak!

I love it!

IS DLISTED DOWN FOR ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!

DeeDeeBabyDiva

Shouldn't this "confidante" be off grieving? Why are they talking to TMZ? Y'all would be the LAST people on my damn mind.

build a bridge and get over it!

I can't belive that a person jsut DIED and you are all being retarded on here!! SHOW SOME RESPECT!! He was a great actor ( one of my favorite.. minus brokeback mountain but that took guts to go trough with making) and he will be greatly missed!! R.I.P. HEATH!! YOUR AWSOME!!

Samantha

wow some people can be heartless, yes he may be a celebrity but he is a human being. I don't care who it is or how he died, it is still a horrible thing to happen, and i feel so much for his family...he was a good actor and millions of people die each year from drug overdoses... Who cares if it's Heath Ledger. Shame on the people who leave comments like "Oh just another celebrity overdose..." have a heart he just left behind a 2 year old daughter. you should be looking at the man he was not the man we went out as...Have some heart for that little girl and the rest of his family, you wouldn't want people laughing about you when you died!

Ashley

if he was an abuser of substances as recently as a year ago, why would he use OTC pills if he wanted to OD?

LupeO

I feel bad for his children.

Can't believe it

Wow, this is so sad, he had tremendous talent! What a loss. I just feel really bad for Michelle and Matilda. To me this is like losing River all over again. All I can say is what a loss. RIP Heath