Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

Logical1

What I don't understand is why the person that found him lying cold
in his bed would first call that Olsen chick? What is she going to
do? That & the rolled up $20 bill are what raise a red flag to me.
Sounds to me like she walked in saw a bunch of coke laid out and him
laying face down on the bed not moving. She calls Olsen to tell her
what's up and ask what she should do. Olsen tells her to get rid of
all the coke and then call 911 and in the meantime she'll send over
her security people to make sure all the illegal drugs are gone. They
got rid of the drugs, but someone missed the rolled up $20 bill.

If he's a chronic coke binger, that would explain the need for all
the sleep meds & anti-depressants. Staying up for days straight
binging on coke. Then using several different antidepressants to
combat the crash after coming down off the coke and heavy sleep drugs
just to get some sleep between binges. That's a lot of stress on your
heart and cardiovascular system!

And look who he is dating and/or hanging out with! If that Olsen
chick isn't a strung out little coke-head herself I would be
completely shocked. She looks like she's got at least a gram a day
habit!

Katharine

To Michelle, and Matilda and Family. I am completely torn over your loss. I did not know you but my friend and I were very big fan's of Heath, and to see such a bright young man taken is a tragedy. The most important thing now is that we remember and praise what wonderful things he has done and do what ever we can to show our support. I hope you can grieve in private, but no that the public does feel for you and wish you the bast. Matilda your daddy was a star, which you will be as well...

JennnR

This Is So Sad. He Was My Favorite Actor... I Doubt It Was An Intenticnal Overdose... They Say He Had All Prescription Drugs.... Yes, He Could Have Easily Overdosed On Those, But They Havent Found Anything To Prove So.... Whatever It Is I Hope He Will Forever R.I.P

K

The rolled up bill tested negative for drug residue, but one wonders...why was it rolled up? It's not that hard to accidentally OD. I did it. I had a throat infection that felt like a blowtorch was in my throat. I couldn't even swallow, sleep, talk. I t was a weekend and my Dr. was closed. I took some of my bf's codiene and it wouldn't work, I thought, just one more..oh God make this pain stop...maybe just one more will do it. Finally, the room is spinning and I'm in the ER trying to to tell them I didn't try to kill myself. He might have just been desperate to sleep and said "Just one more..."

Tasha

Why would they call Ashley Olsen in 1st place,what dose she have to do with anything????
Another Bright Star is gone,may he rest in peace.....

gingers

The only thing I "knew" about Heath Ledger was what I saw on screen. I believe he was a trememdously talented actor with such broad range. Frankly, I didn't see any performance by Heath that I did not like. My husband enjoyed his acting as much as I. We both believe a light went out in Hollywood the moment Heath died.

The cause and manner of his death are pure speculation at this point. Until and unless hard evidence is brought forward that indicate Heath used hard core narcotics which caused his death, it's simply unkind and speculative to suggest such a thing.

Personally, my husband and I are deeply saddened that his life ended so soon. He had so much more living to do and so much more to offer in the way of film.

Our deepest sympathy is extended to the Ledger family.

b.green

Everyone who has made negative comments should be ashamed. Personally, he was one of my favorite actors. I have liked him since "Ten Things I Hate About You" and have followed his career ever since. it doesn't matter how he died, or if you knew who he was or not. A son, brother and father has left this earth. His daughter will not have any memory of him, only what others have to say about him. For those of you to make light of this situation makes me sick.

tin

OK, this is the thing, the housekeeper went to his room to tell Heath that the massage girl came to the apartment to gave him the service that he already asked before alright?,then obviously both got into the room and they discovered him with no response, they tried to awake him and then they called the police and ambulance, they came and the rest is history guys, It's not fair it's so sad!!!!, I'm so mad!!!, I still cannot believe it!!!!!!!!!!, can you, he was a great actor!, what a lost!

Stephanie

To Michelle and Matilda Rose - prayers go out to you for your loss as well as Heath's family. He was a gracious and gentle soul

June

Heath was a great actor and he will be sadley missed. He was only 3 months older then me. So sadd. My heart and prayers go to his family and to that beautiful daughter he has left behind. I will miss you HEATH

EVEMOMMY;0)

TOO SAADD!!!
VERY CUTE, VERY NICE, VERY HUMBLE, .KIND HEARTED...
LOVING FATHER, LOVING PERSON...
MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS DAUGHTER, MICHELLE AND HIS FAMILY...

R.I.P. HEATH

LOVE AND MISSED... MUCH RESPECT

Tracy Thompson

I am sad that he is gone.

?

so hearbreaking It breaks my heart to think of that lttie girl who will never see her dad again

parihan

oh my god he was soo young im sooooooo sad god bless his soul

Previous 15 Comments | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments