Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

buzzbomber

I hope this doesn't delay the new Batman movie!

whatev

wtf? this can't be real

janebird

MG ! Now brad renfor wasn't a shock at all because he's always been a junkie loser but Heath Ledger! WOW NOW THIS IS SHOCKING! I HAD SUCH A HUGE CRUSH ON HIM % YEARS AGO> OMG! WOW

ME

HE'S PLAYING THE JOKER IN THE UPCOMING BATMAN MOVIE. WAS THAT ROLE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIS STAR POWER THAT HE HAD TO KILL HIMSELF????

Remy

R.I.P. Heath Ledger....very sad news

Cutiepie

I adored him in A KNIGHT'S TALE, TEN THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU and CASANOVA. Very talented and a great voice. I'm so sad! What a waste!

Ummmhmmm

My Oh My !

kelsi

wow that is unexpected

jessie

omg, this is so sad. i couldnt believe my eyes.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

I live in Manhattan and word from people in the know is..... DRUGS.

mourning

Such a great artist. His poor family.

krys

I thought it would be Britney next....
I really liked him, I thought it was a bad joke! Could it still be?

Lazarus

What!? Omg. Who next?

And I bet this STILL won't be a wake up call for the others, like Amy Winehouse, Britney, Ect.

Sad. This happens all the time in real life too, I have had a few friends die from drugs.
PooR sick world. :( Soon it will be the world. R.I.P.

dangimold

My God! This is sooo sad! He was sooo young.. :(

Mikey

KILLED BY THE GHOST OF CESAR ROMERO!

SAY HI TO BURGESS MEREDITH FOR US!