Heath's Dad -- "Heath Touched So Many People"

1/22/2008 11:32 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father, Kim Ledger, flanked by his family, released a statement on Australian television.

We, Heath's family, confirm, the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda. He was found peacefully asleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3:30 p.m. U.S. time.

We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their well wishes and kind thoughts at this time. Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him.

He was a down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and selfless individual who was extremely inspirational to many. Please now respect our families need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately.

unbelievable

So sorry for the family. So tragic to lose your son. My thoughts and condolences are sent to the family.

Take it in the ass Sam

Blessings to the family and friends. Hope this is a reminder to all of us, this life is not the end. RESPECT EACH OTHER

ericka

This is so sad. I just hope the media can respect the family's right to privacy, and gives them time to grieve and mourn the loss of such an inspirational actor. He seemed so down to earth and respectable. He was an amazing actor, and I'm sure, a great father to little Matilda. My condolences to the family, and prayers for those closest to him.

Jewel

I am competely shocked this news.RIP Heath and God bless your family, daughter, and ex-wife.

b.brigham

please remember your son was probably really exhausted from his great roles through out the last years..may he be at peace now. we do not stop and take care of ourselfs sometimes and thatts all we have,,,,,sleep our precious young man .. we will remember your talent and smile.,...

heathfan

To Heath's fans:

Dont be sad he is gone,
Be happy he was here.

bsb fan

I couldn't have said it better myself

ooooh pickles

bless their hearts :(

i pray for you tonite and many many nites to come

Erin M.

very, very sad. I could not believe it when I heard the news today. He was such a great actor. It seems weird to me that they would even recommend somebody with pneumonia to even take sleeping pills! Poor little girl too!...it's such a tragedy when any young person has to die.

JessBcuz

Tara Kell

I just dont understand. How is this really even happening. I just cant express what i feel right now. To Heaths Family. I am So Sorry for your lose

Janine

I am so sad. I am not interested in the particulars around his death. I am just so very sad that you're life ended so prematurely.

rose

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL

getting irritated

I hope TMZ pays close attention to the last line in that statement by Heath's father:

"Please now respect our families need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately."

If anyone at TMZ has a clue about what respect is, now is the time to show it.