Heath's Family: He Did Not Kill Himself

1/22/2008 9:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has been contacted by a rep from Heath's family. The cops told the family Heath's death was accidental and there is no evidence to support the buzz that he may have committed suicide.

They are particularly distraught over media reports that he may have taken his own life. The family says he was not that kind of person.

As we just reported, Heath was ill with pneumonia when he died.

Tara Kell

just cant express the shock and sorrow i feel right now. when i first heard i kept saying"this cant be real." my heart breaks for Matilda and the rest of his family. That poor little girl is going to grow up without a father. The rest of his family has to go on living without this amazing man. We all have to go on without ever seeing his smiling face light up a room, screen, or picture ever again. So very heart breaking. May God keep you Heath. You will never know what you ment to so many people. I will NEVER forget you. Love Tara Kell

mhm

does this mean his death was accidental?

Ida Clair

to "just me" at 8:00 pm

hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Are you an out of work fiction writer???

cartwheel

OF COURSE HIS FAMILY'S GOING TO SAY THAT!
THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TRUE!
THINK FOR YOURSELVES!

"accident" DOUBTFUL, but go ahead and have it your way, you're the family. remember him as you wish.

it is a shame, nonetheless and it's almost certainly not accidental. where's the family been anyway? it doesn't sound like they knew too much about what his life's been like or the difficulties he's faced. now that it might embarrass them further they scream bloody murder at the media for calling it what it appears to be. more hollywood PR lies. NO TRUTH.

Be kind to animals

To #37 (Lady Penelope Crappenpants) who posted: TMZ - you have "just reported" a lot or erroneous information in your numerous one sentence (maybe just a sentence fragment) posts. This is just making you look amateurish and completely uninformed in your quest to "break the story". Thankfully, there are news agencies out there who aren't so quick on the trigger where people can get real information instead of your indigestible "nuggets" of information that you correcting every few minutes."

Then why don't you go get "real information" from news agencies instead of coming to TMZ to read about this story? Loser.

VertigoMynd

whatever the cause of death his family deserves our respect and sympathies...i'm glad they dont read some of the bile suggested on here...karma what a interesting thing...don't look for it it will find you soon enough!

keeper

does it really matter anyway ? i mean its sad but i dont think any of us knew him personaly or else we wouldnt be on tmz trying to find all the juicey gossip.you all keep arguing about your own speculations.

Angelique Rice

I'm so sorry to hear about Heath Ledger. He was inspiring to us all. We Will miss him very much. Rest now and let god take care of you

S.R.

Regardless of whether it was suicide or an accident.....it's a loss. Heath will be missed. He was one of the few actors I felt had any potential (in the younger genre). Sleep well, Heath.

Survivor of a Suicide Victim

TMZ your quote reads that Heath did not commit suicide because, his family says, he was "not that kind of person." It's very irresponible of you to print that! Can you define "what kind of person" commits suicide? My Father committed suicide last year, I could say he definitely wasn't "that kind of person" either until the moment we received the call. And, what I've learned since that time is, there is "no kind of person" that anyone can define that chooses to commit suicide. Mental illness takes over and suicide happens to many, innocent, wonderful, loving, caring adults and children. I'm highly offended by these comments and suggest you take them off in consideration of all suicide survivors out there and I mean, immediately! Whether Heath Ledger chose to end his life or it was an accident is a very sad, sad thing. I feel for his family but, these comments are way out of line!

Sandi in NYC

If it's true that the family contacted TMZ...?... Then I guess they may read this. If so......My heart , thoughts, and prayers go to all of his family. Also to Michelle and their darling girl. Thank you all for sharing your exceptional loved one with all of us. I wish there was a way to ease the pain you must go thru because of his death and the nasty media. Aloha to you all.
I pray Matilda manges to keep at least a tiny memory of her daddy.Too young to lose so much!!!!!!!!!!

sportsgal

No matter what the cause, it's still very, very, very tragic. My heart goes out to his daughter. I hope and pray his death was not a suicide. This just goes to show that sometimes Hollywood celebs have too much! Heath, may you rest in peace. You will be missed. You were talented and loved.

Dori

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Heath Ledger.What a sad thing to have happen to such a young man.

PRMami

As bad as this sounds, I hope he accidently overdosed... =(

YEEEEEEEEHAW!!!!

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANYMAN WOULD KILL HIMSELF BEFORE SUPER BOWL WEEKEND!!!! GO PATRIOTS!!!!!