More Than Five Drugs Found in Heath's Apartment

1/23/2008 10:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath LedgerTMZ has learned what types of pills were discovered in the apartment where Heath Ledger was found dead.

NYPD sources tell TMZ that nearly full pill bottles containing the anti-anxiety medications Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan) were found in the apartment. The sleeping medication Zopiclone (Lunesta) and the sedative Temazepam (Restoril) -- which is used by people with "debilitating insomnia" -- were also found.

All of the drugs were prescribed to Ledger.

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

DesertChildAZ

I challenge each and every one of the people reading this story to go into their home tonight and pull out every prescription bottle leftover around their home from long gone illnesses. Then come here tomorrow and post what you found. See what conclusions people draw. If you're willing to listen to this crap and feel it's fair and justified then you have no problem posting what you have in yours....(including your Valtrex). Live with the same scrutiny that this man WHO CAN'T DEFEND HIMSELF is living with. Just because there are 5 medications in his apartment does not mean he was taking all 5 drugs at the same time. It's also important to note that police claim that those 5 bottles were nearly full. I have a full bottle of hydrocodone and oxycoton in my medicine cabinet. I take one each month on the day of my period and I am in heaven. One is even in my sister's name because she didn't use them and I knew I would for my monthly cramps. I was also prescribed xanax by one of my doctor's about 4 years ago because he "suspected" I might be depressed when I was exhausted all the time. I refused to take them. But I still have them. So, now we're down to two addictive pain killers and one anti-depressant. And I'm not in the least describable as a drug user. You people are fishing for scandal at the expense of a GOOD successful, hardworking, FATHER and MAN. It's disgusting!

Mel

I have been prescribed all of these medications, and most are still in my cabinet, unused when they stopped being effective. I have fibromyalgia, and I am also prescribed a narcotic and a muscle relaxer.

You cannot take one type of sleeping medication for a prolonged period of time or it becomes ineffective. If he really had pneumonia and the medications depressed his breathing even further, it explains things. Not that he took too many, but that the side effects of the medication in combination with the pneumonia can possibly cause respiratory failure.

It could happen to anyone, it isn't negligence but a true and terrible possible side effect. He didn't have a drug problem. He had anxiety and insomnia. Millions of Americans suffer from the same thing.

Margo

It seems as if everyone is missing the whole point here. Ok Heath had medications that were prescribed to him in his house. Big deal. Many people have those same drugs in their homes. The point is what was going on in his soul that caused him to need these medications. He said in another interview that he was stressed -his mind racing, not being able to sleep. I think he probably just wanted to rest and took more than his body could handle. I have been there. The news and the gossip columns and a great deal of the public are just dragging this poor man through the mud. There use to be ethics in reporting but not anymore and it makes me sick. The police leak information, the paramedics leak information it has to be against departmental policies to do this and I hope Heaths family sues the hell out of everyone that came into contact with him the minute he was found. The only ones so far that are showing any kind of ethics is the funeral home.

As for this "overdose," it seems that everyone hearing that word automatically lables a person a junkie, a drug addict or any other slanderous term they can find. Hospitals use that term loosely. A few years ago, I had a severe toothache during a holiday weekend. I finally got to a dentist and they only did a small procedure to "get me out of pain" until I could get to a specialist the next day. Needless to say now i was in severe pain for days and the dentist prescribed tylenol with codine. It said to take one on the label but i decided to take two because I couldn't stand it anymore. Anyway since i didn't eat the whole time the medication gave me severe stomach cramps and an ambulance had to be called. I gave them the pill bottle with two pills missing and they asked me why i took more then prescribed..because i was in pain!! Then they told me they had to say it was an overdose. So I od'd on two tylenol with codines. But if i was a famous person that story would have been changed to make it look horrible. Media manipulates the public in any way it wants and most of the public believe it. WAKE UP!! The body wasn't even cold before there were minute by minute updates. Let Heath rest in peace.

Heath, your troubles are gone. Sleep well.

Margaux

Margo

Heath, your troubles are gone. Sleep well.

Margaux

DesertChildAZ

While I think there is no doubt that Anna Nicole Smith was a prescription drug abuser, I do not think Heath was. However, I do find it odd that both Anna Nicole and Heath exhibited fever or pneumonia in the days before they died. Both were on prescription meds PRIOR to their illness (in Heath's case, I think he was probably first prescribed anti-anxieties to counter depression he was feeling over the breakup of his relationship. The anti-anxieties cause him to have insomnia as a side effect so he took Ambien. The Ambien, or combination of Ambien and anti-anxiety, created his pneumatic symptoms because the body was trying to fight whatever adverse condition was caused by the combination of the two. ) In a nutshell, these drugs caused Heath's death...

What it all boils down to is that both of these stars misread the side effects of these drugs (flu symptoms) to mean they had a bug, cold or flu.

Unfortunately, as long as pharmecutical and insurance companies are in the pockets of our government officials and have active lobbyists, this will never be regulated or addressed adequately.

jenniferw

i take ativan too and i cannot belive a doctor would give him more than one trainquilizer at a time that is lethal this death scares me and saddens me because i thought he was a great actor and i am a drug addict and have anxiety and isomnia and depression and i keep hearing he was saying he never felt relaxed and that is exactly how i feel i know his pain it is unbearable maybe he is better now i hope so....i am so glad my dr does not trust me and monitors me with those trainquilizers...maybe if heath's doctor was like mine he would be alive this is so sad

jenniferw

i know about this i take ativan and i have taken ambien valium and xanax they are all very dangerous i don't know what dr gave him xanax, ativan, valium and ambien all at once! there is a lawsuit right there.....i have anxiety, depression and insomnia and i have abused these medications so bad because i am desperate to feel normal for just 1 day even... i ended up trying to commit suicide 2 times in 6 weeks my dr monitors me and would never give me 3 trainquilizers at once that is unheard of and lethal i can't believe a dr would knowingly do this....ambien made me black out and i did insane things just with ativan only...i did not know heath ledger but i think i know his pain and i am glad my dr has me on check like this...rip heath i loved your movies and you were a truly great actor

Confidential Physican MD

all of those medications where benzodiazapines alprazolam , temazepam , diazepam, and lorazepam
with the exception of lunesta which is a non narcotic medication for sleeping difficulties , such as the lack of staying a sleep for a period of 6 to 7 hr or with out intervals of waking up. who was the idiot that prescribe 4 benzodiazapines they should have their license taken away and should never practice medicine again, benzodiazapines are very addicting side effect from such medications could cause decrease libido,drowsiness fatigue impairer coordination memory impairer speech difficulties weight changes would never in my life prescribe two different types of benzodiazapines to anyone, in the only case where is done is if the person suffers from agoraphobia and him being in the spot light I don't think he suffer that, unless they where all by different prescribes in such case the patient was doctor shopping and breaking the law. no doctor in their right mind would prescribe that , valium alone has the effect of a muscle re laxer and restoril which its would be the temazepam is prescribe usually with alprazolam because the person has build a tolerance to the regular medication which its would be alprazolam most commonly know as xanax. and if is was by the same physician who wrote the lunesta with the restoril he should not have been taking lunesta.. and I read a comment earlier where someone said that they hold 4 of those prescriptions in their possession they either doctor shopping or your doctor is an idiot or a license drug dealer who doesn't care about your health because the combination of those medications could cause respiratory depression and cause death and sudden cardiac arrest.... if your going to different doctors to get those medications you are looking at some serious jail time. its again's the law to go to different doctors requesting the same types of medications, yeah it is a big deal because if you where my patient and I got your history when you came into the ER or I did a drug test and its came back with such high levels of benzodiazapines I would have contacted your doctor and the board of medicine for that state to investigate, more people died of prescription drug medications than street drugs, and my advise to whom made that comment that he had those medicines big deal either you don't love your self or you are a drug seeker and you should not be prescribe any medication and force you to go to cold turkey withdraws its sad when people think this is ok , when on a daily bases we see people died due to medical misjudgment because one doctor refuses to give you a medication you go to another one and because the pharmacy would not fill it before its time you go to another doctor to get that medication I am not saying this was the case with ledger but you who made that comment makes a doctors Job very hard because in reality we don't know if our patients are drug seeking or if they are really ill and I don't feel sorry for you at all.
you need rehabilitation for drug abuse
thanks
ER MD Florida

RedFox

Thanks for the good post very interesting

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15