Ledger's Death Doesn't Look Like Suicide

1/23/2008 11:07 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Multiple sources in the NYPD tell TMZ, although it's too early to know, it's looking like Heath Ledger's death was accidental and not suicide.

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Ledger took his own life by ingesting a boatload of pills. Contrary to initial reports, the pills that were "scattered" around Ledger's apartment were actually in containers. We're told the containers were not littering the apartment. Rather, some were in the medicine cabinet and some in other rooms. As we reported, one container was on Ledger's nightstand. Cops found sleeping pills and an anti-anxiety drug in the bedroom.

A rep for the family tells TMZ that detectives have been in touch with Ledger's next of kin and the cops told them that so far there is no evidence suggesting suicide. Of course, until the toxicology reports come in, no one knows for sure.

A well-connected source in the NYPD told us this morning the "operating theory" right now within the department is that it was an accidental death, not suicide.

It's unclear if Ledger's health was a factor. As we first reported, he had pneumonia at the time of his death.

me

Vlad is it? You are a prime example of ignorant people only being able to site generalities and pass judgment on things they know nothing about.

Mhenad

"40. Mhenad, I'm sorry if you can't face the truth. His death should be a wake up call to anyone who overdoes prescription medicine. What's so objectionable about what I said. It's the truth!

Posted at 9:48AM on Jan 23rd 2008 by ME"

This has nothing to do with the facts that you claim to have... It has to do with the lack of compassion you have for a dead man. You wanna wake people up? You think this should be used as a rude awakening? Get a grip. You're not going to change the world. The least you can do is bite your tongue when you have something nasty to say about someone who just died. I don't even like him as an actor and I don't know him as a person but I know that his family must be feeling very low right now and I was raised better than to talk slanderously about someone who just died. You must have been raised on a barn where the life of animals means nothing to you and that's all you know so you figure, hey people are just as disposable...

Bee

The ultimate indignity was commited to Heath when his body was wheeled out from his apartment building yesterday amid a sea of flashbulbs.
TMZ had 'live streaming' from the building - what the hell is going on here? Streaming live from the courthouse where Britney frickin Spears is supposed to show up is one thing.....but can any of us imagine if that was our brother, son, friend, husband, who had died just a few hours previously??
What has happened to our society? While I do read sites such as TMZ, I would happily vote for them to be shut down if I could. Our appetites for more shocking, immediate images and news has reached levels that have long since passed the limits of decency.
I could have cried for him seeing his body on the news later being taken out to the ambulance. If there is an afterlife, I hope that whatever God there may be shielded him from that sight.

Annie T.

You know, unfortuntely, I would have been more surprised if they found Heath Ledger alive, in a Church, or at his home praying. Young and Old Hollywood has gotten to be a circus show for the rest of the world to watch, everytime we turn on a tv, pick up a newspaper or a magazine. It is more typical to read about bad stuff happening to these stars, than it is to read anything good, so this was no shocker at all. Yes it is sad but in all honesty, we will all probably be reading about another tragic death in a few months. These actors, actresses, icons, singers, whatever think that fame and money makes them invincible.

crus

I had the worse gas of my life, damn chili dogs at 2 a.m.. But, I am moving quickly through the office, and I do
believe that someone else is gonna have to take the blame. That's the key, moving quickly, so it's actually the next couple
of people that walk through will catch the blame. I think the temperature actually went up in here 7 degrees.

me

We need to stop commenting on the people that say ugly things. I think the only reason they say the stupid stuff that they do is so normal people will get mad and post comments back about them. They have no life and this is the only way they can have any fun, and probally the only way anyone will talk to them. Be honest if you had a freind that was so sick in the head would you talk to them?

R.I.P my heart goes out to the family. He was a great actor.

Robin

The passing of Heath Ledger is so sad. The world has lost a great talent and from all accounts a good and kind man. I think its sick for some people to speak ill of a man that they have never met or just to assume that he was some drugged out loser. It is not for us to judge his life or how much money he had or what effect his fame had on his life. Regardless of how or why he died, the man is dead and there is nothing that can change that. I loved his movies and I will miss his smile on the big screen. I mourn for his daughter and his family, they are the ones that suffer now. Heath is in a better place.

Michelle(937)

"Reverend"Fred Phelps is planning to picket Ledgers funeral.The "church" has sent out what seems like an almost joyous church news release announcing the death&picket plan.I just hope Heath Ledgers family and friends never see it.What is said on the news release is both hurtful and disgusting.How one person(and his followers) can hate so much is beyond me!!

pthrift

I think his death has been a sad one for all of the acting community as well as all of us moral folk who have enjoyed his films, my prayers go out to his family in their time of grief.

Mhenad

Posted at 9:48AM on Jan 23rd 2008 by ME"

While I agree that this is something that everyone should learn from, I don't think that calling a man who just died 'stupid' is appropriate at all. Also, I don't think it's your place to judge his love for his child. Have a heart.

Kitty

Heath did he best to buck against the hollywood system, turning down fluffy roles and instead choosing ground breaking roles such as Ennis in Brokeback Moutain. At least one good thing will come of this - he'll get his Oscar now.

I love you, Heath.

Ellie

May he rest in peace! Regards to his family and friends. This is such a shame! I was reading about ambien. Ambien is a sedative, also called a hypnotic. It affects chemicals in your brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia). If Heath Ledger was tkaing Ambien maybe it was, in this situation actually keeping him awake. The opposite of what it is supposed to do. What a shame if that is the case. Sometimes, people do not read the side effects and trust what is being presrcibed.

Ambien may cause a severe allergic reaction. Stop taking Ambien and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Ambien and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
worsening sleep problems;

depressed mood, thoughts of hurting yourself;unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
aggression, feeling agitated;hallucinations, confusion, loss of personality.

Rest in peace Heath Ledger. God Bless

Jen

I truly belive this was an accident. With going back and forth over seas and changing time zones and being sick, he was probably so over tired that when he took the pills he didnt realize how many he took. I feeel so bad for his little girl especially grwoing up with out a dad.

Jerri from Milwaukee, WI

To that guy me what ever your sn is your heartless you have no feeling nor respect for someone's death no matter what happend to that person you just hot to have respect for the dead! you sir are a real jerk what if his famliy is reading this post or maybe one of his friends do you know how badly that they are hurting right now! You sir are a ass sorry to all of you are reading this but it is true what if it was his on brother and someone said hurtful things aout his brother he would want to knock out someone! You just don't say hurtful things when someone die I just feel sorry for you as the say what comes around goes around and it will be 10x harder on you! JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEAM MEL

How is an overdose not suicide? It tells you on the bottle not to mix drugs or take too many. People have such a hard time accepting someone taking their life that they would rather think it was an "accidential" overdose. Taking drugs makes him a much better person than someone who takes them to die? It could of been a suicide but just because the drugs were i differet areas it's ot considered one. He was depressed and in need of help so this was no accident and the family is just going to have to deal with that.