Britney Being Treated for Her Disease

1/30/2008 2:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

If you think Britney Spears doesn't give a crap about getting help for her condition, think again.
Britney Spears
Multiple sources tell TMZ Britney has seen numerous doctors. We know that she's seen a new psychiatrist who has come to her home every day this week and that she's on medication to treat her bipolar disease. We also know doctors have indeed concluded she suffers from bipolarity.

Britney has seen doctors who have been referred by other doctors, plus doctors who have been referred by celebrities Britney knows, and doctors referred by her lawyers, family and friends. We're told the process has been excruciating for her, partly because her disease is severe.

Sources tell slightly different stories about the efficacy of the medication. A friend says when Britney takes her medicine she is like "a different person -- normal and sweet." But she takes her meds for a while and then feels as if she can live without it -- so she stops taking them -- and her condition quickly deteriorates. But a professional tells TMZ flatly, "The medication just isn't working."

That same professional tells TMZ, "She's really trying. Whether it works -- we'll have to see." That person also says it's extremely frustrating when the media shows video of Britney out on the town acting crazy, adding, "She has a disease. Sometimes when you see her she's in the middle of an episode. It's like mocking someone with Down Syndrome."

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26

shovan

Lisa, A true bipolar person doesnt always take their meds. Dont make statements unless you know what your talking about. My mother is bipolar and she does exactly what britney does. She gave us to my grandparents and would take her medicine.... think that shes cured and get off. Bipolar people try and self medicate with drugs and alcohol. If they dont want to admit they need extra help then they wont take their medicine.

lmpcl

I agree Sharon Thomas, i have a friend who`s bipolar. When she takes her meds she`s fine, when she`s goes off all hell breaks loose...you can`t force them to take meds...it`s a long process...

shanda

bipolar disease doesn't happen over night

shark

I am in the health field and their should be no walk of life that hinders Ms. Spears stabilazation, and recovery. All PAPS should stay away and give this girl a chance to deal w/ a disease that just rips people of their pride.

If they continue we will have another death. There has to be a law to protect her. I would sue the bastards.

michelle day from l ittle rock ar

MY SISTER IS BIOPOLER ALSO MY DAUGHTER IS GOING THUR THIS SHE 21 AND BIOPOLER AND IS NOT ON MEDS I FEEL FOR THIS FAMILY I CANT EVEN THINK WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE HAVING THE WORLD WATCH MY FSZMILY GO THUR THIS I PRAY FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY AND HER CLOSE FRIENDS THAT THEY BE UNDERSTANDING AND TRY TO JUST LOVE HER AND THAT SHE WILL GET SOME PEACE ....

birdmanj

enough now,'We now know know that she is 'BIPOLAR',"ok ,now lets get to some real news and let HER HEAL',
ENOUGH ON THE WIERDO,'i CAN CALL HER WIERDO BECAUSE IM -BIPOLAR TOO,,,LOL

CASH

Living with a person who suffers with bipolar is not an easy task. My son lives with this mental illness diagnosis every day for the rest of his life. I have watched Brit and pray she will get the treatment she needs to live a somewhat normal life. She needs the support system of her family, a good therapist, medications, and her sons. Medications are not a "magic wand cure", depending on the ones she will be prescribed, it might take a week to 10 days. The general public, photographers need to understand, she needs time ALONE to learn how to deal more effectively with herself. It's not easy being bipolar nor living with this diagnosis. Peace to you Brit and family.

Frizandi

Jarissa,
I have a friend who is bipolar, and it is indeed a diifcult disease to deal with. When she is on her meds, she is a lovely, fun, outgoing person. When she goes off them, she is very off kilter, either to the manic or the depressive side. Sometimes she borders on phychosis, and at these times is not rational enough to realize there is a problem.

Often times, people who suffer from mental disorders go off their meds, tfeeling they don't need them, and when things spiral out of control, they often don't realize they need to go back on them.

Mental illness is a disease, just as diabetes or heart disease, or any other affliction that people seek treatment for. But because it doesn't manifest itself as something you can measure, such as blood sugar and the like, it doesn't seem real to many.

My mother-in-law battled dementia several years ago, but with the proper medication she is fine now and you'd never know anything was ever wrong. Once she understood that she had to take her meds regardless of how she felt, it was easier to keep her on them.

We should not be so judgemental of Britney or anyone else who may be battling a mental illness. The media is very good at twisting information for their own gain. We really do not know what is going on inside her head, and we probably never will.

I am no fan of Britney, but I think at this point she deserves a break.

Tiffany

Gig

358. This is ridiculous. The only thing Britney is suffering from is too many psychiatric drugs! There is no such thing as Bipolar "Disease." Bipolar is a psychiatric term that encompasses many behaviors. A disease is an "objective, confirmable abnormality." Bipolar is a subjective opinion. She needs to get rid of the Psychiatrists and off the meds!!! Instead, she will be given more and more psych drugs that don't "treat" any known abnormality and, obviously, they are not working to correct her adverse behaviors. If she stays on this "treatment" course, her future is toast!!!

Posted at 9:52AM on Jan 31st 2008 by Tiffany

***************
Tiffany, YOU ARE AN IDIOT! Anyone who advocates foregoing medical care for Bi Polar Disorder (which by the way is a VERY REAL disease) is a dangerous whack job! You sound like one of those Scientolotards who don't believe in chemical imbalances. Try living my life you twit, you'll find out how real this illness is!

Bipolar101

Bipolar is a very serious illness. When a Bipolar person is manic they have above the normal range of serotonin and when depressed below the norm. Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter synthesized in serotonergic neurons in the central nervous system. In the central nervous system, serotonin is believed to play an important role as a neurotransmitter, in the inhibition of anger, aggression, body temperature, mood, sleep, vomiting, sexuality, and appetite.
I think its sad that most people think your crazy if you have this disorder. I am Bipolar and all I wanted at first was be normal, like my old self. I had to learn to deal with the fact that I will not ever be the old me. I came to terms with the fact that I will have to takes meds the rest of my life and learn to be who I am now. Not all medications are going to work but with time & help from doctors you can ease the symptoms of the illness. I, like Britney quit taking my meds. I thought I was well enough not to need them. I was wrong. The meds are not going to make Britney normal all at once but with the help of her doctors, friends, family, love, and support she will get better. It just takes time.

As for those of you who think that there is no such illness, then quit being idiots and talking about things you know nothing about. You got the internet research. I personally like to know my facts before I speak about things, that way I don't look or seem as dumb as some of you seem now.

dolores

any person that is "by polar" cannot take her meds as she see fit this person just wants to be in the public eye, she knows her career is going no where fast and all this crap is too keep her ass in the public eye, but it backfired i think it all got to be too much because it was not generating the news that she wanted which was to make kevin want her back, but she had already been spiralling downward since before the breakup, no man can put up with a spoiled little girl when it's a woman they want,why is it that kevin took any excuse to leave his "happy" marriage because he was a normal person before britney and she couln't stand it that he wouldn't bow down to her.she couldn't have kevin so she became a hollywood harlot and party ho, she didn't want the responsibilty of her kids, so she played crazy so kevin would take the kids and maybe her too, but that didn't work either. she need to accept the truth and know millions of women are single mothers(ask kfed's ex)and they survive just fine w/out going to pieces, she needs to face the truth and grow up! your children need you britney so stop it and think about someone else for once.people are sick and tired of your selfish crap!!!!

RedFox

Thanks for the good post very interesting

dolores

this is for 363 why is it that you idiots keep going back to kevin? is he the one that is playing the crazy in this drama? who stepped up to the plate when his wife decided to be bipolar all of a sudden?who says she's that? who diagnosed this"disease" all of a sudden after how long that she' been acting stupid?who is the one that was awarded custody of the children because britbrit didn't know if she was coming or going everytime she got near the court house.why is he being vilified by some for wanting child support when that is the rule of the land, everyone else gets it why not kevin afte all his xwife spends 700,000 ayear on herself, why shouldn't her sons get as much?you people that fault everyone else but britbrit, are the ones that are bipolar. you need to open your eyes and grow up right along with this bimbo who could not face the fact that a man walked out on her crazy ass! kevin deserves every penny that he gets for putting up with crazy for so long!

Delaware

I am not a Brit fan...but I have known people who have bi polar disorder. I can say, without any ioda of a doubt, that whoever said that Britney would take her meds like she's supposed to if she really is bi polar...either does not know the disease well enough to make that comment, or is just bashing a celebrity who has the problem.

One of the most common debilitating characteristics I've seen first-hand when I've encountered people with the disorder, is- in fact- their inconsistancy with taking medication and accepting therapy. I had a friend who's mom is pi polar, and she would turn from sweet and loving, to full of rage without warning if she did not take her meds. It was very difficult for her family and friends to get along with her. My most recent x's x-wife is bi polar, and although she was very consistant with her medication, she would slip on occasion...same outcome...I had a co-worker at a previous job who was bi polar, and the only reason she was able to do her job was because she was consistant with her medication. She was the exception to the rule. So, please...keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Although people with bi polar disorder are often difficult to get along with, especially when they are inconsistant with their treatment...they are still human beings with feelings...and having a disorder like that, and KNOWING that you have it, is a very scarey experience. People with bi polar disorder, or any other mental disorder, need our prayers, NOT our condemnation...whether they are celebrities in the public eye or NOT...especially when they ARE at least making an effort to get help.

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26