Britney Being Treated for Her Disease

1/30/2008 2:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

If you think Britney Spears doesn't give a crap about getting help for her condition, think again.
Britney Spears
Multiple sources tell TMZ Britney has seen numerous doctors. We know that she's seen a new psychiatrist who has come to her home every day this week and that she's on medication to treat her bipolar disease. We also know doctors have indeed concluded she suffers from bipolarity.

Britney has seen doctors who have been referred by other doctors, plus doctors who have been referred by celebrities Britney knows, and doctors referred by her lawyers, family and friends. We're told the process has been excruciating for her, partly because her disease is severe.

Sources tell slightly different stories about the efficacy of the medication. A friend says when Britney takes her medicine she is like "a different person -- normal and sweet." But she takes her meds for a while and then feels as if she can live without it -- so she stops taking them -- and her condition quickly deteriorates. But a professional tells TMZ flatly, "The medication just isn't working."

That same professional tells TMZ, "She's really trying. Whether it works -- we'll have to see." That person also says it's extremely frustrating when the media shows video of Britney out on the town acting crazy, adding, "She has a disease. Sometimes when you see her she's in the middle of an episode. It's like mocking someone with Down Syndrome."

shavonne jones

just leave the girl alone i tired of hear about her

Im just sayin

If, in fact, a doctor has come to her home several times this week AND she has gone to see several doctors - WHY DONT YOU SHOW VIDEO OR PICTURES OF THIS??? Why must you CHOOSE to report on her visits to a gas station or a car dealership??

No need to answer, TMZ, I will for you: Because its fun to make her look bad. You dont want people to know she is trying to make things right. Half of your staff would be unemployed without Britney being "bad".

You suck for how you try to destroy her.

Nejxn

RE:21 Oh yeah, I forgot Sam and Lynne - they probably masterminded the whole thing....

K. Jackson

If she actually has a disease, which I have a hard time believing, then why doesn't she keep her ass at home and her episodes out of the public eye? She's a media whore and I'm not buying this BS! She needs to wake up, grow up and shut up her damn whining!

Standards are badly needed.

If that's the case, and it sounds like really good spin to me, true or not, then if it's 'like mocking someone with Down syndrome', then she should keep her attention seeking a*s at home a little more until she gets things a little more under control, like most people would. Is this the bipolar sympathy contrition tour now? Excuses everywhere, but I don't see a lot of normal behaviour coming from anyone involved with this. They seem to want their publicity-at-any-cost cake and eat it too. I saw a pedophile on T.V. a while ago who continued to justify his behaviour with the fact that someone did it to him, and he was really sorry, but continued to still do it whenever he had the chance. Ah, well. I hope it works out for her, regardless. She's going to cringe a lot when she's older and thinks back on her behaviour. IF she has a conscience.

brit hater

she isnt bipolar, shes mentally retarted,,,, poor kids,,,, dont you all realize she is doing this for all the publicity, damn shes stupid....

CookieSweetCookie

My child is bipolar and it took several years for us to find the right combination of medications. It is very treatable, unfortunately, not curable. She needs the support of "real" friends and family. I know her mood swings and acting out makes good TV, but she's sick. Why can't the paps leave her alone until she gets better. I agree with the other writer, it's like making fun of a person with Downs Syndrome. It's an illness recognized by the medical profession, so all of you out there making fun of her and chasing her down, "shame on you." I'm not a fan of hers, but I'm a mother with an ill child, so I understand her family's frustration. They need to stay by her side and help her realize that the meds do make her better, and coming off the meds with throw her into the pits of this illness. Many people, when they start feeling better, stop taking meds because they feel they're cured. This disease will requir her to take meds for the rest of her life. I wish her luck and "peace."

kathy

It probably doesn't help to be publicly scrutinized and have your every mistake exposed and made fun of by TMZ and a bunch of jealous bullies (TMZ fans) who don't have anything better to contribute to the world (or at least the world of entertainment).

Beth

Until you have suffered from any disease, be it cancer, mental illness or any other sickness you do not know what people go through. She is a very sick person emotionally and needs medical intervention. Her parents, friends or even doctors cannot force her to take medications and not all work the same. Everyone is different in how their body reacts to medications. One may work for you and not work for another.

Before you jump all over someone who is ill and needs help, say a prayer that you or a loved one you knoe isn't suffering from a disease such as this. It is a disease!!!!

sandykay

I hope see gets to see the kids a couple times a week, you know they miss her. no one can take the place of a mother, not even K-daddy.

bilge12

maybe shes a rapid cycler

Save Brit from Herself!

I wouldn't wish BP on anyone. My sister-in-law has it and my son has it. It took several hospitalizations and a good 6 months to a year on the right dose of the right medication for him to become clear-headed and the cute, funny kid he always was. I thank God everyday that he likes his psychiatrist and the meds are working. FYI - the meds will give you weight gain and bad skin initially or forever. It's look good and go made (like my sister in law) or stay on your meds and put up with a bit of pudge and a few zits. What would you do? Stop judging, lest you be judged. And if anyone cares, BP Hope magazine is a great resource and help.

Donn

I DO NOT THINK THAT TMZ HAS ANY RELIABLE SOURCES, JUST RUMORS. THAT IS WHAT I THINK. IF SHE WERE ON DRUGS, THEN HOW DID THE HOSPITAL NOT CATCH THAT?

Donn

huh?

Maybe thats why she doesn't wear undies??? Ya think?