"Heart Broken" Michelle Releases Statement

2/1/2008 2:49 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michelle WilliamsTen days after the death of Heath Ledger, former fianceé and baby mama Michelle Williams released a statement. It reads:

"Please respect our need to grieve privately. My heart is broken. I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father. All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up with the best memories of him."

caymindiver

To TMZ: Now why would your editor intentionally choose a photograph less than complimentary on purpose . . .

To Those Negative Individuals: Please at least attempt to understand that while Ledger and Williams are in the spotlight of stardom, they are still inside p-e-o-p-l-e. People who have ups and downs just like you and me. Yes, while they do hold a more affluent lifestyle, it still does not provide you the right to trample them verbally. Have some empathy and show some sympathy and respect by just keeping quiet. Old addage . . . if you have nothing positive to say, then please refrain from saying anything.

No need to pick on those in times of trials and tribulations. As you would not appreciate it if you were in their shoes.

KrisAlyss

Why can't the public leave the famiy alone while they greive. I wish all the best to Michelle and Matilda. And hope they find peace and happiness

wewearshort-shorts

You know, none of us on here know the reasons behind Heath & Michelle's break up. We can speculate that she left him because he had a drug problem, but we don't know for a fact that that is the reason. AND, if that is the reason, you can't blame her for his death, or for him not getting help IF he had an addiction. You can not force a person to do something they don't want to do. Maybe he did have an addiction. Maybe she tried to help him or have him seek help. If he wasn't willing to do that, I don't blame her for not staying in the situation. It's not her fault people, so grow up and stop blaming her!

cycworker

These people blame Michelle Williams for this are ridiculous. I get that it's upsetting. I do. But what was she supposed to do for the guy? She took him to rehab. He refused to stay/sign in. He kept telling her he'd get clean, that he was ok, he could handle it. That's what addicts DO. Eventually, when you have a young child, you have to say 'enough' and get out, for the well being of yourself and your child.

As a mentor of mine once told me, 'the first rule when you're a lifeguard is that you don't risk drowning yourself to save someone else from drowning.' Ok, she worded it better, but that's the jist of it. MW cannot be blamed for this, and she is as much a victim as anyone.

Oh, and the $$ comments? GMAB. She doesn't need his $$. And she wouldn't have mentioned his family if she were the kind of person some of you are trying to suggest she is.

The statement is lovely and touching. MW sounds likea lovely, graceful, caring woman and that little girl is blessed to have her for a mother. I will pray for this family. God rest Heath Ledger's soul.

Whatever

Yes, I'm sure that Michelle and her kid will come to TMZ.com, read the article and read all these comments... yes... I'm sure they will.... seriously guys, do you HONESTLY think they will come and read these comments? If you believe that, you need to be where Britney is... They should be in MOURNING, not reading comments about a statement she made.

Skye

#4, if someone you knew passed away, would it be "so last week?" What an idiotic thing to say.
#10, get a clue...and do us all a favor and never have kids.

RIP Heath.

Lilarose

Has the media been harrassing this woman? Why is she asking for privacy? I thought she had plenty of it. She left him, so why is she blubbering?

I don't want to ever hear about this guy again. He is one of many who have died because of his own choices, no doubt in my mind.

And no, he is NOT the next "James Dean."

Bluecatt

My heart and sympathies go out to Michelle and little Matilda. How difficult (and wonderful?) for Michelle - looking into the face of Heath every day. I was stunned by how much Matilda looks like her Daddy. So very sad :(

Love ya

My heart goes out to her and their Beautiful little girl. She may not have a daddy on earth, but she has the best guardian angel watching her grow up into a beautiful woman. The best are always taken away too soon.

Skye

Lilarose, if you're tired of hearing about Heath - why are you on TMZ????

My2Cents

Change the darn picture TMZ!! Don't bother posting her statement if you are going to post such a horrific photo with it. Show some respect!

Matthew

Thoughts go out to her and her family, what a tragedy

Renee

I cannot imagine the pain she is feeling. She is a celebrity, but this has nothing to do with the movies. This is real life and I really wish the press would leave her alone. I don't need the media to tell me how much pain she is in. I know. Imagine if one of your loved ones died and someone was shoving 50+ cameras and microphones into your face. Enough already.

Whatever

Enough about the damn picture. It got old after the first few people said it. No one is going to listen to you because your opinion DOES NOT MATTER. ESPECIALLY on here. They make their MONEY off of this stuff. They know what they are doing. Now why don't YOU show some respect and write something else besides "take off that picture!". NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE PICTURE! Isn't it her statement that REALLY matters? Just leave the damn picture alone for f***s sake.

HOLY ISH

It never ceases to amaze me, the cowardess, of some of the people in this blog. How dare anyone make negative comments about a 2 y/o child.

Some of you should think about how you would feel if it was your daughter, wife, mother, etc. The fact that you are anonymous doesn't mean anything goes. The racist comments, the comments wishing people dead are disgusting. Whatever happened to human kindness? No wonder Americans are looked down on in other countries.....We are turning against each other and destroying ourselves.

To Michelle:
May GOD bless you!!! Be strong for your child and appreciate every moment you have together. It is sad and devastating; my heart goes out to you. I have lost my Mother, Father, Sister and now my son is very ill. I can't even imagine how bitter sweet this must be for you. Just know that you are in our hearts and our thoughts!