God Pages Nurse Vining to Heaven

2/2/2008 2:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Shell KeplerShell Kepler, who played nurse Amy Vining on "General Hospital" for more than 20 years, died yesterday in Portland, Ore. Paging Dr. Quartermaine!

According to the Medical Examiner's office, Kepler died of renal failure.

After her stint on "General Hospital" ended, Kepler moved to Portland and got involved in charity fundraising.

IMDb says she was 46, the M.E. says she was 49.

Georgia Girl

Shell,

You are gone too soon.

sassy

ALL THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING RUDE REMARKS HAVE NEVER LOST A LOVED ONE. IM GUESSING THAT ANYWAYS.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR RUDE REMARKS WHEN ANYONEEEEEEEEE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

michael

I was so sad to hear of Shell's death, I've often wondered what happened to her after GH, I was impressed that TMZ took notice of her death and let the World know she had passed. She gave us fans such laughter with her quirky character. She will be missed and because of TMZ remembered.

ANON

How sure are you with the news that Shell Kepler is dead? - I just checked EVERYWHERE on the net and there is no mention of her death???? -Also, IMDB does not mention her death at all - I just checked??? You may want to check your sources as putting someone in the grave before their time could be quiet awkward and some splaining to do!!!

Larry

I knew Shell Kepler for over 20 years. I spoke to her about six weeks ago. She was doing fine and seemed happy living in Portland. She made no mention of any medical issues. Dying at 46 is a real shame.

Larry

Afanwhenshebeganongh

I remember Shell when she began on GH. It is sad that there is no decency on some of these sites when sad or ill news comes about. Those of you that make a mokery out of the passing of others for your nasty enjoyment shows what sick perverted minds you have. Is there not a way for this site to monitor and cut those ignorant people out. Is there not a site that you can go to to trash your ignorance at vs. sites that try to pay tribute to those that deserve it? Small minds have smailer acts of kindness. IF by chance any other fans or Family and Friends of Shell see this. My prayers with you and for the talented loved one you lost. It is good to see that when she left the business she went on to pay forward with her love for others and life. One more decent ANGEL in God's heaven. Shell has been missed on the television by many a fan.

Howard K Stern Supporter

So sad :( I used to watch GH when the Luke and Laura story line was the best.
RIP Shel and my heartfelt sympathy to her family and friends at this time.

TMZ: Your title and also this "Paging Dr. Quartermaine!" is truly disgusting. How the hell do you and your staff thinks this is something to laugh about??????????? Seems like you HIRE mentally ill reporters huh! You just lost a viewer because TMZ will not longer be on in my home.
HARVEY shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimc

I'm saddened by the death of Shell Kepler. I watched her since she was introduced on the show & thought she was a fine actress. I'm very sorry she's no longer with us.

CntryJoe

Shell
You will be missed.i have an autographed photo of hers that she had scan onto a printer, she signed it " Sorry Ran Out Of Photos, Love Shell" She had a sense of humor.

Marlene

In answer to your qyestion/comment. No she was not Monica Quartermaines sister. She was Laura's half sister. I have been watching the show since I was just out of high school. I am now 60. I know she was on G H forever. I dont remember how they wrote her out. Her character just had less and less lines. That's too bad. My condolenses to her family.

Cherie

She was Lauras sister (Genie Francis) on GH. RIP Shell..She was also a clothes designer

patty

She played Laura's "sister " for 20 years

Nanc

Sad to hear.... I meet her 19 years ago.. very nice person!

Lisa

So sad, I watched Ms Kepler for many years on GH, haven't heard anything lately about her though. Many people may not know, but she was also a fashion designer, using her own name. A very talented lady, she will be missed!

Barbara

Soap actors - the best. So many fond memories from way back on these shows which have been on forever. She was memorable. These people are truly talented. Five days a week, you follow the stories, the characters.....unlike movies where everything is programmed, shot for very brief periods and then on to the next "shot". My Father had a small part in Rabbit Run shot in our home town. He thought James Caan was a great guy (he would know since he was on the set every day), but couldn't believe how movies are made. Soap actors are at it day after day bringing enjoyment and entertainment to people including this lovely lady. And to those who get upset by what appears on this website. It is all designed to get us to respond. I don't always appreciateit either, but these TMZ people know how to get the fire stoked. Anyway, may she feel all the good thoughts and know the prayers of her fans from many years.