Feds Want to Know How Heath Got His Meds

2/6/2008 5:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The feds are trying to figure out how Heath Ledger got all the prescriptions for the dangerous combination of painkillers and sedatives that led to his accidental overdose.

TV Guide reports that the Drug Enforcement Administration has launched an investigation into how Ledger got prescriptions, if in fact they were prescriptions. According to officials, the DEA has requested copies of Ledger's autopsy as well as the original police report from the crime scene. The NYC medical examiner said this morning that he found the cause of death to be a lethal array of opiates and benzodiazepines; oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.

The NYPD has not indicated whether the bottles of medication found at Ledger's apartment, which include some of the drugs found in his body, were specifically prescribed to Ledger.

TMZ spoke to three clinical psychiatrists today, all of whom said it would be "highly unusual" and "reckless" for one physician to prescribe this combination of meds, and suggested that more than one doctor would have to have been involved, or that Ledger could have obtained them by other means.

who cares

DOES IT REALLY MATTER? THE MAN IS DEAD LET HIM REST IN PEACE
DOCS APPARENTLY WILL PRESCRIBE WHATEVER A CELEBRITY WANTS
LOOK AT ANNA NICOLE AND OTHERS BEFORE HER THAT DIED FROM THE SAME CAUSE
RIP HEATH

jill

SO HAPPY THEY ARE INVESTIGATING THIS!!!

Shawn

The prescription drug companies along with idiotic doctors are responsible for thousands of deaths each year.
The FDA is nothing but a broken agency--a complete joke.

The drug companies push drugs and the doctors are stupid enough to prescribe them without knowing anything about them. They just take the drug reps word for it that they are safe. Fact is... the doctors who are prescribing new drugs on the market are for the most part, extremely uneducated on how the drug actually effects the human body. Again, they just take the word of the drug reps that come into their office that they are safe & have few side effects.

Many people believe that if a drug (or combination of drugs) is prescribed by a medical doctor, it is safe to take them.
This is not always true. Many have lost their lives because of irresponsible doctors & drug companies.

Heath may have mixed the drugs, taken higher doses than prescribed, etc... but then again... they were ALL prescribed to him by some idiotic doctor.

How many people thought they were going to have a heart attack & die before taking a simple pill for arthritis or a pill to help them stop smoking? It happens every day & it will continue to happen until someone is brave enough to take the drug companies on & force the FDA to actually do their job.

offtheproperty

what about the heroin? if there was no heroin involved, i would like to hear someone say that. you know the best reason in the world for a 28 year-old man with everything to live for to take a lethal OD of scrips is... heroin!

ALRIGHT!!!!

Are we really shocked? This is Hollywood and all it's glory!!!!

Justme

03titan, No it wont bring him back, but it may stop another from an over dose.

law2003

it`s about time these so called doctors are being looked at. they like to prescribe meds to the rich and famous like we eat candy

Cartman

Everything is like Anna Nicole. This story, Britney's story, the Jeff Conaway story.

Isn't this scary to everyone else?

Savage

These celebrities have access to just about any drug (legal and illegal) that they want.....It's basically thrown at them from friends, pushers, doctors, dealers....so I'm sure his overdose was an accident...R.I.P. Heath

Outside Looking In

If you have ever lived outside the US and traveled extensively, from country to country, then you could better understand the reason for the array of prescriptions he had with him. Getting healthcare while traveling can be scary, now go to a foreign country where you may not be able to procur your US doctors prescription, so you end up with another "equal to" medication. I've been there and had enough prescription medications from all around the globe that upon return to US I didnt need to fill them for 6 months!! The mix of possible jet lag, insomnia, all other possible stresses, and these medications proved lethal. My heart goes out to the family.

Janice

If 1 dr gave him all those scripts- he should be in trouble and charged... I believe that he probably got them from different dr's and even different countries. I take oxycodone for severe rheumatoid arthritis and its been hell at times to get my dr to write a script for them because so many people take them when its not for chronic pain, but because they wanted to get high.. I am saddened by such a young and talented person's death all because either he didn't tell a dr all his meds or that the doctor didn't say no. They have said that all the meds found in the place where legal scripts so if it wasn't legally prescribed then they need to find out where he got them and charge that person!!

A loyal fan

The one question I still have is regarding the $20 bill. Yes, it was tested for illegal drugs, but does the test include prescription meds as well? I don't want to assume, but I don't keep rolled up bills around my house - I don't roll them period - no need too. The time of death concerns me as well - was there a chance to save him? Also, was the masseuse searched? Probably not without just cause. I know nothing will bring him back, but if there was a chance he could have been saved - and the masseuse cleaned up, I think she should be held accountable.

bhjournalist

The DEA should look into the involvement of Mary Kate and the so-called masusse who could have been a drug dealer to Olsen and was reccomended to Heath. There was no mention of Oxycodin as the prescibed drugs found at Heath's apartment before. It could have been brought to him, he could have been awake, ingested it and then with the small amounts of sleeping pills taken earlier, it could have made him keel over from the combo. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD CALL OLSEN 3 TIMES INSTEAD OF 911 UNLESS THEY HAD SOMETHING TO HIDE? It was probably an accident but something that could have been avoided. Rest in peace Heath, you were a great actor and gentle soul. You will be remembered and missed.

Mr. John A. Estes, II (LP.org)

DEA.gov the drug's from a class 1-5; Dr./M.D. "redding Calif. or ATL, GA????

Liz

Sooner or later the Feds have got to start arresting these so called M.D.'s who are nothing but glorified drug dealers! They are so quick to right out a perscription and they don't even glance at your file to see what else they have given you lately. My doctor almost killed me with all the crap she had me taking at the same time. I thank God my mother came over to my house and found me! My body was TOXIC SOUP!