Feds Want to Know How Heath Got His Meds

2/6/2008 5:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The feds are trying to figure out how Heath Ledger got all the prescriptions for the dangerous combination of painkillers and sedatives that led to his accidental overdose.

TV Guide reports that the Drug Enforcement Administration has launched an investigation into how Ledger got prescriptions, if in fact they were prescriptions. According to officials, the DEA has requested copies of Ledger's autopsy as well as the original police report from the crime scene. The NYC medical examiner said this morning that he found the cause of death to be a lethal array of opiates and benzodiazepines; oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.

The NYPD has not indicated whether the bottles of medication found at Ledger's apartment, which include some of the drugs found in his body, were specifically prescribed to Ledger.

TMZ spoke to three clinical psychiatrists today, all of whom said it would be "highly unusual" and "reckless" for one physician to prescribe this combination of meds, and suggested that more than one doctor would have to have been involved, or that Ledger could have obtained them by other means.

Kelly

"30. I think what might be driving the Feds is the report of the OxyContin found in his system."

HOW MANY TIMES MUST IT BE POINTED OUT THAT OF THE HYDROCODONE AND THE OXYCODONE (NOT OXYCONTIN, which wasn't present in his tox report) ONLY TRACE AMOUNTS EXISTED BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT TAKEN AS PILLS....WHICH EXPLAINS WHY THEY WEREN'T ONE OF THE PRESCRIPTIONS REMOVED FROM THE HOME BY POLICE....THEY WERE MERELY COMPONENTS OF OVER-THE-COUNTER NON-PRESCRIPTION MEDICINES .... in the form of ROBITUSSIN COUGH SYRUP (which police removed from the apartment adn which contains HYDROCODONE) and Oxycodone, as percocet or ibuprofen.

JE$US CHRIST, PEOPLE!

And for the record, give the rolled up $20 a rest. They tested it and found no drugs on it. I'd put $20 on the fact that it was not "rolled" but was crumped up like it had been in his front pocket and was pulled out in preparation as a tip for his masseuse.

alison

Do you guys not read the articles and press releases properly. The levels in his body of these drugs were not excessive, meaning each was the correct dosage. It was the fact that he took all 6 drugs at once. Silly yeah, but has any one of you had severe insomnia, do you know how it feels to crave just 1 hr of unbroken sleep! The poor guy was exhusted and just wanted to get some rest for his body, unfortunatly now he has all the time in the world RIP Heath

dana

honestly..... anyone these days can get over-prescribed drugs..... the feds/govt/politicians/ etc act "so surprised" that he was allowed to have all these meds at once.... c'mon open your eyes... its not hard to get medication that is not needed.... just let the Ledger family grieve in peace.....

Rebecca

It was ruled accidental people! You just love to sensationalize stories to make them more interesting all the whilst not giving any thought to whom you are affecting. Shame on you TMZ!

Tyra Banks

Actually, webby, Percocet is a namebrand for oxycodone (generic). Oxycodone is the ingredient in OxyContin (hence the "Oxy" part). However, OxyContin is time realeased and therefore much stronger and not meant to be crushed or chewed. So they are actually all the same and not 'different pain killers altogether.' Sorry.

leelee

I'm assuming they didn't find prescription bottles, at least not for all of the drugs - I'm thinking perhaps the oxycodone he obtained illegally, I mean did he have a reason to use oxycodone, was he hurt, in pain?? from an injury? etc. - I suppose any of those can be obtained underground, but oxycodone has a large market - And it seems from viewing the lifestyles of some of these stars that people tend to like to get high on certain drugs and then bring themselves down with others - would these seem to go along that line? Oxycodone (acts like morphine or heroin) and anti-anxiety/tranquilizers which calm you down - Very sad - he is not the only person, not the only celebrity who using drugs (albeit these were legal, although not confirmed legally gotten and certainly not properly dispensed and taken) Sad - this is another problem, along with alcoholism and illegal drug use - Although it has been going on forever - it really hits with the death of very loved actor who was under the radar and not constantly in the tabs regarding drugs or alcohol - I think with Heath Ledger and Britney Spears it really highlights how people suffer in silence with mental problems - he seems to have been struggling with something and unfortunately self-medicated instead of seeing a professional (of course we don't know, perhaps he did) and the same with BS - Hopefully people will see this and understand the need to seek the help of professionals and that it is ok to ask for help - no matter what problems you are facing.

Liz

Oxycontin is known in the pharmacy world as synthetic heroin. No, there were NO reports of Heath using heroin but, reports of him taking oxycontin!

To his family, my thoughts and prayers are with you.............I sincerely hope you will find out who and where ALL this medication came from so that they or them will HAVE to take some responsibility!

God bless..........

Merona

Dana,

I gave up on trying to get cold-hearted, evil-minded people to have compassion for others a long time ago. Even with the death of someone, some people still have a hard time finding their heart, if they even have one.

RIP Heath

kansas

Why is everyone to quick to place the blame on or point the finger towards Mary Kate. The girl was on the west coast when it happened. She didn't tell anyone to call her the first time. Wow, give that girl a break. Bottomline is Heath is gone. Nothing will bring him back. He had prescription drugs in his apartment for whatever the reason and apparently took too many of the wrong ones together. Prescription drugs are handed out left and right all the time and it seems there is no way to cross reference this when people hop from city to city and doctor to doctor. It's sad but it happens and it's been happening for years. Maybe the guy had problems, may be not. Can everyone just let the guy rest in peace already?

Tyra Banks

My goodness, Kelly....seems you might need Heath's benzos, dear. You really need to watch the b. pressure, for God's sake...

W T F ?

Off topic - DListed says Britney is out of the hospital!

TMZ is pathetic

76-------WEBBY!!!! YOU ARE A MORON!!!!
OxyContin-
Generic Name: oxycodone (ox i KOE done)
Brand Names: Endocodone, ETH-Oxydose, M-Oxy, OxyContin, Oxyfast, Oxyir, Percolone, Roxicodone, Roxicodone Intensol

oL0

HE GOT THEM FROM MARY KATE OLSEN!

SHE'S GOING DOWN!!!

anonymous

The one question I still have is regarding the $20 bill. Yes, it was tested for illegal drugs, but does the test include prescription meds as well? I don't want to assume, but I don't keep rolled up bills around my house - I don't roll them period - no need too. The time of death concerns me as well - was there a chance to save him? Also, was the masseuse searched? Probably not without just cause. I know nothing will bring him back, but if there was a chance he could have been saved - and the masseuse cleaned up, I think she should be held accountable.

Posted at 4:06PM on Feb 6th 2008 by A loyal fan
The test was inconclusive for drugs but it is strange they waited almost a half an hour to call 911 but they called the olsen woman 3 times...I loved Heath's acting but something was covered up in that room...RIP Heath.

Sad4Heath

Why are people so insensitive? This would be very easy to do - I have Rx for hydrocodone for pain, which makes me nervous so I take my prescribed Klonopin, on top of my prescribed antidepressant, and I'd imagine if I couldn't sleep I would have no idea that an OTC sleep medication could be a lethal combination with those others. This could happen to anyone who is used to taking the same meds for the same chronic problems. Soooooo sad. Please have some compassion, people. I hope he's with God now.