Heath's Dad on Cause -- "Drugs Proved Lethal"

2/6/2008 12:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father has issued a statement following the release of the Medical Examiner's report:
Heath and Dad
"We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.
"

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

Duffo

#12 (aka Missy) No, i'm not suffering from insomnia after listening to your bs! zzzzzZZZZZzzz

Melanie

Heath was a wonderful actor who will be greatly missed. Now that its known that he did not die of any type of illegal drug activity, people need to let his name be cleared and let the guy rest in peace. Enough said.

TheMizzz

#11 Dopey, I really dislike you but take comfort in the fact that you will surely die of stupidity any momnet now.

sherricheu

Like I keep saying, unless these celebrities die of old age it is in their rule book that they die of overdoses, accidental or overwise.

xyz

Duh and Dopey,

You call this accidental overdose "stupid". Have neither of you ever made a mistake in judgement? There have been deaths associated with having too much alcohol. Are you saying you have never once imbibed too much? Why do you feel so hostile? On a human level, Heath's umtimely death is very sad. I see his fame as being both a blessing and a curse. Probably at 28, he wasn't real informed about precription drugs. He might have figured that since a doctor prescribed them, it must be OK to take them together. He appears to have been troubled by anxiety and insomnia. Have you no compassion................simply because he was famous? I don't think either of you mean the things you are saying.

TheMizzz

Does that mean we will be free from your retarted posting while you nap?

Duffo

I think Queery is right on the money. People just medicate themselves in to oblivion, literally. You think the pioneers that made this country didn't suffer the same problems. They didn't have a fraction of the amenities, medications and other luxuries we have today. We as a society just want to POP a pill and have our troubles go away, it's not that easy. They should have been treating the cause of Heath's problems versus shoving a plethora of pills his way. Geez, he was an addict after all...

debv

As a parent who has lost a child, I sympathize with Heath's parents....nothing, nothing is worse than losing a child, no matter what the cause. I hope that his family will be left alone now, to grieve without the glare of the world upon them.

Stephanie

I think it is time that the media LISTEN to the family and respect their wishes and let them grieve in peace.
This is trully a tragic happening to a loving son, father, lover and friend. Let them heal in peace, my heart goes out to The Ledger Family, Matilda, Michelle and his many friends. Let them be, and stop harrassing them!!!
My prayers are with them daily, rest in peace my friend!

Duffo

Lisaaaaa I agree with you about the sadness, it's what makes me so hostile. It's so senseless a loss. It could and should have been prevented. Come on, you really believe that a 28 year old hasn't a clue about medications and their side effects. He did have a drug problem and was rehabilitated, so I am sure the doctors discussed the repercussions of drug abuse, mixing meds, etc...right?

Duffo

Missy, didn't you make a promise not to post here again...why don't you keep that promise...

jabba

#9 You must be such a JOY to be around. We are all so blessed with your 'non-verbal' communication skills in his fourm. If everyone had your wisdom and compassion--there would be not one problem in this world. You are such a black and white person--hope you never enter into a grey area......the world would cease to be!!!! As for Heath Ledger's family, deepest sympthy! It matters not how he left this earth, it is that he is gone--He lives on in his little girl and as she grows up, you will see him in her smile, actions, and feel his touch through her. Having lost a son myself in an automobile accident, I envy you that you have a piece of him left in his little girl. Now I'm sure #9 will have some smart-ass remark for being kllled in a car wreck HUH?????

xyz

Duh,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but I feel that it was accidental. He made an error in judgement. Are you saying that you feel he tried to kill himself? The levels of those meds in his system did not appear to be excessive. It was rather the combination of what he took. If he didn't want to live anymore, he would have taken higher doses.

Let's just cut this guy some slack. It was a tragic error in judgement. I've made many, many errors myself.

You are probably a very good and compassionate person...........otherwise you would not have responded. Good for you! Thank you.

ReneeNW

My heartfelt condolences to Heath Ledger's family and friends. What a horrific time for all. May Heath rest in peace and many blessings upon his daughter, Matilda. He will be missed. May he find peace in heaven.

For those taking prescription medications, please use ONE pharmacy only. If you have medications that are not compatible it will be flagged. Maybe something can be learned from this tragedy.

TheMizzz

I did not promise at all, but now I will, ya know battle of the wits with the unarmed is futile and no fun at all, buh, bye! God bless Heath Ledger and his family!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments