Heath's Dad on Cause -- "Drugs Proved Lethal"

2/6/2008 12:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father has issued a statement following the release of the Medical Examiner's report:
Heath and Dad
"We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.
"

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

none

GOD-bless this man and his family. I know exactly how he feels.
They are in my thoughts and prayers. Its been 2 yrs for me.
I will forever miss her and a piece of my heart will forever be missing.

itsmekimberly

A life cut short when the whole world was at his feet. Gone but never forgotton. Thank you Heath so much for the time u allowed us to know ur creativity.

ELI

In my opinion, Heath appeared to not be doing drugs at this time in his life because of his beautiful daughter, Matilda.
God bless him.

splash

i have to most utter respect for the ledger family. god bless!

noyankhere

rest in peace heath ledger we will remember your star that shone so brightly and so briefly... sun rere...

pmalone

I have just lost my 13 year old son to brain cancer 3 months ago, and I can tell you that the pain of losing him is unbearable....my heart is with his parents..please let them grieve in peace..

Canadian Girl

So now we know - can everyone now leave his poor family alone!

kkr

My heart is with all of his family and friends.

Norma J

May God Bless Heath's beautiful little girl Matilda, Michelle Williams and all of his family & friends. I hope that he is resting in peace as he will always serve as a "guardian angel" to little girl and his family.

TheMizzz

#69 Today was the first time I ever felt compelled to post on this or any board, up until 2 weeks ago I had never even been to tmz.com, why? Because I have a life, seems as if you should maybe take some of your own advice!

walkswithspirits08

Hello. I'm psychic and I have dreams about people who have recently died,trying to get a message to their families. I had a dream about him and all he talked about was little girl. He is very sorry about what happened and says it was unintentional. All he wanted to say to his family is these 2 things: 1.He would like his daughter to think of him as a father,not an actor. and 2.He wants them to know he will be watching over them always. Thanks for your time.

shanyeah

To Heaths family..My prayers go out to you and his beautiful baby girl. My husband is the same age as Heath and we also have a daughter..I just cannot imagine going through what you have and on top of everything else having the media trying to catch every single tear on film. Please stay strong and make sure that beautiful baby remembers her father and how special he was as a person and an artist. He has definitely made a mark on this world.

ceci

HE WAS A GREAT ACTOR AND SEEMED TO BE A NICE PERSON I HOPE SOMEDAY HIS DAUGHTER WILL BE TOLD WHAT A LOVING FATHER HE WAS AND A BEAUTIFUL PERSON WHO LOVED LIFE HE WILL BE MISSED

toomanydoggies

I would like to know why Keith was taking the opiates. Was he in pain? Millions of Chinese people were addicted to opium for hundreds of years before the communists eradicated the opium trade in China. People have been taking some form of opium for thousands of years for pleasure and relaxation. The rise of medical science has introducted more potent substances like morphine and heroine that are now regulated and controlled. Keith may have been using the drugs for recreation just as others have done and become addicted. He was only 28 years old he had no fear of death, he made the mistake of thinking that he had control over the drugs when in fact the drug addiction led to his death.

Rouby

Thanks for the great info

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6