Brit's Attorney Acknowledges He Can't Rep Her

2/7/2008 4:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ just received the following statement from Brit's attorney Adam Streisand:

"At the request of Britney Spears, Adam Streisand, a Partner at Loeb & Loeb LLP, met with her yesterday to discuss her legal rights in connection with the conservatorship over her person and estate. Following that meeting, Mr. Streisand learned that the court had issued orders that prevent Ms. Spears from retaining counsel of her own choosing, and on that basis, Mr.Streisand has decided he will not represent her at this time."

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

He's just another Idiot

What is that goofy dark hairpiece on that lawyer's head ? Of course, Britney shouldn't choose her own lawyer. She's SICK, people. She can't make any rational decisions. All the lawyers are like a bunch of vicious vultures circling her - waiting for her money. Kaplan is, of course, the worse.

LISALET

SINCE THE DOCS HAVE RELEASED HER SAYING SHE IS NOT A THREAT TO HERSELF OR ANYONE ELSE THAT MEANS SHE MUST BE COGNISENT ENOUGH THAT THEY BELIEVE HER TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL HER OWN AFFAIRS! THEREFORE SHE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO CHOSE HER OWN LAWYERS AND AS YOU CAN ALREADY SEE FROM THE NEWS JAIMIE AND LYNNE ARE BOTH AT IT TRYING TO PICK WHO SHOULD REPRESENT HER - AS SOMEONE SAID EARLIER THIS COMMITTAL PROCEDURE IS OPEN TO ABUSE, SINCE DADDY-O NOW WANTS THE CONSERVATORSHIP TO HAVE MORE TEETH I THINK YOU CAN SAFELY SAY HER PARENTS ARE GUNNING FOR FULL CONTROL OVER ALL OF HER ASSETS AND DECISIONS! SINCE MOMMIE DEAREST HAS DONE HER BEST TO STAY OUT OF THE LIMELIGHT OVER THE CONSERVATORSHIP I THINK YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE SHE'S CALLING THE SHOTS NOT DADDY-O AND THEY'RE USING THAT PREFERENCE FOR DADDY TO THEIR OWN ENDS!! SORRY FOR BRIT BECAUSE I DON'T THINK THEY'LL EVER LET HER CONTROL HER OWN MONEY AGAIN - AFTER ALL THAT'S THEIR PENSIONS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!

Me

Rambo...my parents were fantastic loving parents. They supported me and never asked me for a penny, nor did they ever try to profit off me, control me, exploit me etc. Recognized the importance of, and ensured I got a good education. I wish Brit had parents that were as good as mine, she'd probably be doing a whole lot better if she had.

Me

Coco...I so agree...I am speaking to my lawyer this week to ensure someone I hate doesn't get control of my money if I ever become incapacitated like what has happened to Brit.

beth

Jamie Spears is trying to steal Brit's money.

And the court has stripped her of her rights.

va loan

last!!!!

He's just another Idiot

You are a bunch of Idiots if you think Britney's dad is stealing her money. He's the ONLY one who has her best interest at heart. Her money stealers are K-Puke and sleazy Kaplan. When the spousal support ran out in November, the plans were already in place for that money to keep flowing into K-Puke by way of getting more child support. He doesn't care anything about the children, he's playing a game to keep the gravy train going. He doesn't want Britney to get well, either . She might get the kids back and kick his sorry, lazy ass to the hole in the ground where he emerged. Remember, people, K-Puke and sleazy Kaplan are her worse enemies. Everytime they go to court, Kaplan bills Britney for his fees. That's why they go to court so much. They both are greedy bastards !!!!

Neil

I'm astounded by what I'm reading here. Deanna and Bitz: yes, Britney has done some weird things. But in this country you're a criminal when you're convicted of a crime; you're mentally unfit when you're declared such by a doctor. Simply because she's Britney Spears and has her stuff all over the tabloids doesn't mean she gets to have her rights taken away.

Those of you saying, "How would you feel if this were your daughter? Wouldn't you want to control her life and do what's best for her?" To you I say this: How would you feel if this were your daughter and she had her rights taken away such that she couldn't even hire her own lawyer to represent her, simply because she spent a few days in a mental hospital (and was released by the doctors long before they had to)? How would you feel if your daughter was trapped in a situation where she had no rights and couldn't even defend herself in court? Would you be happy for your daughter? Simply because her parents are her conservators doesn't make it right. She's an adult; she has the rights to make her own decisions, unless declared unfit by a doctor, which she hasn't been.

Acting weird and doing a few strange things or even (gasp) not driving well are NOT reasons to have all of one's rights taken away!! This is the United States of America, not communist Russia! But, apparently, spend a few days in a mental hospital and act a little strange, and all your rights can be taken away, to the point where you can't even hire a lawyer to represent you!!

Let's remember: she hasn't been convicted of any crime and she hasn't been declared mentally unfit. What's happening to her should make all of you gasp regardless of what you think about her.

Deb

Weren't they famous killers in the early 20th century? I think I read about them on the crime library

Deb

oops I meant Leopold and Loeb, one of the earlier posts said somthing about them

water

Neil I agree with you in that Constitutional Rights need to be preserved, but Britney is a danger to herself and others. Britney's rights were in tact prior to this action, but made poor decisions that led to her continually hurting herself / digging herself into a deeper hole. Her parents were up against the wall. Brittney has called the shots since a very tender young age- and somewhere along her mental growth-- her understanding of life has been distorted by vanity, celebrity status and internal turmoil.

C'mon Neil- these people revoked her rights and doing everything they can in hopes of preventing another celebrity death. Where do you honestly believe she would be if people didn't care enough to make this bold move?

And doctors Neil??? What about Heath's doctors? Doctors are not always the catch all. Sometimes - especially as parents- we are our childrens best diagnosis. Granted Lynn and Jamie have made A LOT of mistakes. We all do as parents. But I give them credit for stepping up to the plate and not taking NO for an answer.

You are certainly entitled to your right of opinion- I just ask that you consider the other side of the equation.

Meg Lodise

LOEB AND LOEB, and Adam are pretty bad. This is the same firm that Seagall is suing for getting "Opri'd" She should have gone to SACKS, GLAZIER, FRANKLIN, & LODISE, LLP.

arlenepr

He decided? Actually, the judge presiding decided Ahole! Is Osama running around giving mashed up drugs to everybody, because it sure seems as if LA is full of Quack doctors, ruthless lawyers, Crazy public relations people and unqualified "managers" (think Osama). They are like vultures picking at a carcass and this woman isn't dead. She needs to get better and the whole family needs to heal so she can get a life back (in spite of herself) and her kids can have their mom back, even if on an occassional supervised visit. Truly, she is not capable of handling more than that. It has been proven she is unfit, not because she is a bad person, in my heart I dont think she is, she is just really a sick woman. I have not heard the word Biolar thrown around as often now that she has been in the hospital for more than 5 seconds. What really is her mental illness? Narcissisnm? That can be very dangerous.

Standards are badly needed.

If he can't be paid, he's gone.

GAF

Britney's father and mother want her fortune. They are saying she is crazy to get their hands in her fortune.OPEN YOUR EYES!

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11