« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Pedro and the Cockfight -- The Horrifying Video

2/7/2008 8:14 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained the video of three-time Cy Young award winner Pedro Martinez at a cockfight with Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal in the Dominican Republic. Did Michael Vick not teach us all a lesson?

The video shows Mets star Martinez and Marichal serving as "soltadores" -- the people who release the animals into the death ring. As the fight goes on -- which we have chosen not to show -- Martinez and Marichal can be seen in the audience, smiling and laughing.

Cockfighting is legal and popular in the Dominican Republic.

It's unclear whose rooster won, but really -- does it matter?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mr. Black

Get over it TMZ and PETA. This didn't happen on American soil and it just happens to be legal where they were doing it. So butt out and mind your own damn business for a change. Everyone is so worried about everyone else life that you should start looking at your own and maybe think about living your own life instead of trying to live off of other's so to speak.

Kpolycronopolis

he plays baseball? never heard about him , never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression! heeee's outaaaa here.

JenniferJJ

Doesn't make it right just because there is no law against it

kim suck

thats in their culture --those people think its fine-

kim suck

SICK

Kobe

Cool, I just had a chicken sandwich!

arcinaz

YAY...The loser is DINNER!!!

PLEASEdoSOMETHING to HELP PLEASE

PLEASE HELP!!!!
PLEASE spread the word and help get these poor animals the help they need. ANY bit can help, please! It is SO cold right now and the forecast is supposed to get BITTERLY cold tonight and especially through this weekend.

Broken Furnace Leaves Animal Shelter In The Cold

POSTED: 4:48 pm EST February 7, 2008
UPDATED: 5:01 pm EST February 7, 2008

LAKE COUNTY, Ohio -- A local animal shelter has more to worry about than finding homes for the animals after the building's heating unit broke.

Workers at the Lake Humane Society were forced to close the doors and leave dozens of animals freezing.

One of those animals is Penelope the pig, who got lucky and was adopted Thursday afternoon. But other animals weren't so lucky.

Rick Gotliebowski is the operations manager at the shelter, and he said it is in big trouble.

"We've had to move all the animals back to a holding area and into the dog kennel area, which puts stress on the animals. But until we can get the heat up and running and get back in shape, we'll do the best we can for the animals," he said.

Gotliebowski said the shelter needs $17,000 for a new furnace. Until then, the animals will have to live inches away from each other, putting them in jeopardy of getting sick.

"This is heartbreaking, and I don't want to lose any of the animals because of the stress they're under now," said Gotliebowski. "It's not a matter of being a person that can come up here with $1,000, $2,000; $2, $5, anything helps the shelter in something like this."

The shelter hopes to have a heating until sometime next week, but it will have to take out a loan to purchase it.

LR

That is horrifying. Many years ago, I had the very horrible experience of attending a bullfight in Mexico. I walked out after just a few minutes violently sick to my stomache. It really takes a sick personality to enjoy this kind of thing, never mind participate in it and endorse it!

SLC

It used to be that you had to be somebody special to be an athlete. You had to be a great player, and someone who was responsible and WORTHY of being looked up to. Now you can be anybody-a thief, a drug addict, a dog fighter, a wife beater, or any other common worthless thug there is. Sad that nothing is really sacred anymore. Sometimes I wonder what good is in the world anymore when people have to torture things just to have a good time. It is hard not to be depressed when this is the reality of the world.

Ashley

I wish someone would throw him into the ring! This just sickens me! He is a worthless piece of trash and I hope they fire him for this behavior. Anyone who is cruel to animals deserves to DIE!

Professor Obvious

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Ooooo Noooo!

"Base-A-Ball Ben berry, berry good to me."

A realist

Why is this even news??? He is participating in a local ritual that is a custom for the DR. Is a bull fight in Spain any more cruel. The world is cruel and that's a just a fact of life. The sooner you learn to deal with this the sooner you join the real world.

Reddesires

Juan Marichal should be kicked out of the Hall of fame, right into the halls of shame. They are both sick A$$.....holes and the Mets should hide in disgrace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,