« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Pedro and the Cockfight -- The Horrifying Video

2/7/2008 8:14 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained the video of three-time Cy Young award winner Pedro Martinez at a cockfight with Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal in the Dominican Republic. Did Michael Vick not teach us all a lesson?

The video shows Mets star Martinez and Marichal serving as "soltadores" -- the people who release the animals into the death ring. As the fight goes on -- which we have chosen not to show -- Martinez and Marichal can be seen in the audience, smiling and laughing.

Cockfighting is legal and popular in the Dominican Republic.

It's unclear whose rooster won, but really -- does it matter?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Matt

It's part of their culture and legal there so he's not anywhere close to doing what Vick did. Besides, any one of you crying about this, you instantly lose credibility if you eat any animal, support the death penalty or war. Someone or something dies there as well and that just makes you a hypocrite because you're saying some deaths are justified and others aren't.

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

Real men would fight each other to the death.
Pedro and Mike and suchlike girly men torture animals because they can't take care of their own business.

Grateful she's not my mom.

Kudos to TMZ for refusing to show the actual fight. Pedro is a loser. Pedro Martinez what a total Loser.

yogagirl

Love you ME! Yes hard as it is for so many to understand American does NOT set the standards worldwide. Hasn't anyone EVER watched Discovery Channel? Maybe we need to go after those Massai for the way they treat their cows!

d

I really don't see the big deal. First of all, he is Cuban or something right? well, there you go. Second, the way I do it is to throw the chicken in with a rabid dog, which, you PETA people can chill, I have now realized isn't that nice...another chicken is much more fair (no wonder I always lost---I just didn't know).

Xan

i blame it on the Pokemon.

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

Some commenters are saying "what's the problem if it's legal".
I'll tell you, since you can't figure it out for yourselves. Just because something is "legal "doesn't make it right. It's "legal" for lawyers and banks and car salesmen to screw you out of your money, but do you agree that it's "right"? It's 'legal" for the justice system to put innocent people in jail if the jury makes the wrong decision, but is this "right"? It's "legal" for courts to force husbands to pay outrageous alimony and child support money every month, but is it "right"? It's "legal" for employers to take advantage of their employees in almost every way, but is this "right"? Use your head for something besides a hat rack. THINK.

Xillip

Hey at least those two chickens had a fighting chance. Unlike the one that was shown the other day with Obama's grandma!

April Fouels

THEY SERVE CAT AND DOG MEAT HERE, ALONG WITH VEGGIES FRESHLY RETRIEVED FROM A DUMPSTER..

ingorant people piss me off

it's legal in his country people. can't say i agree with the "sport" but you can't get mad at him for participating in a legal pass time. People think that if it isn't done in the United States that it's somehow barbaric or savage. IT"S A CHICKEN! WHO CARES????

Jenny

He didn't do anything illegal. I wouldn't personally find this sort of thing entertaining but I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I'm having chicken for dinner. Am I supposed to feel guilty about that?

volunteer

Another LOSER with no compassion for an animal that is being torn apart and killed. I just hope that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, that these people come back as the type of animal they have abused/killed. Rot in hell and I hope his athletic carrier goes down the toilet where he is.

yogagirl

Real Men. hahahaha! D do you watch football? Hockey? That's just then being proxies for the "real men" out there. Have you ever been anywhere else in the world? Real men in most of the Dominican Republic have to work harder than any real men here in the US have to just to feed their families each day. Please. Like you know so much about "real men." It's judgemental people like you that make others hate the US.

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

Sure as spring follows winter, there's always some idiot who says "but people are treated worse and I think people are better than animals". Lay off the drugs and try to focus. The story's about animal cruelty, not about people vs.animals.

steveforbertfan

I always suspected that Pedro Martinez had no class. This video proves it!

Sick and cruel!