« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bball Star Under Criminal Investigation

2/13/2008 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that NBA All-Star forward Richard Jefferson is under investigation by Minneapolis cops for allegedly choking a clubgoer -- then threatening to kick another guy's ass.
Click to launch!
We've obtained the incident report filed by security at the Graves 601 Hotel. According to one witness, Jefferson got in a "minor verbal disagreement" which escalated to the point where Jefferson was on top of the patron, allegedly choking him.

According to the report, the New Jersey Nets star left the club, and then encountered the witness, who asked Jefferson to remain until the disagreement was sorted out. The witness says Jefferson responded, "Say another word, I will kick your ass."

Minneapolis PD tells us Jefferson is under investigation for "assault with significant bodily harm." No charges have yet been filed.

A rep for the Nets tells TMZ, "We have no comment." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

niceguy

That's an awefull big foot to get your ass kicked with.

fv

Hey Jizy - ratings numbers are important however hear me out on this: Baseball is bloated and being destroyed by the steroids scandals. Football is popular however events like the Michael Vick scandal have hurt them ... NBA is bigger than ever when it comes to popularity amongst young men, 18-50. Yes I am an NBA fan, MORE IMPORTANTLY A LAKERS FAN!!! SPEAK UP LAKERS FANS!!!!

YankeesRule

I like all the dynasties! LAKERS included!

Pro sports all together though, Ive gotta say, I'm much more a fan of individual players. Strictly because I love college sports first and for most. Which is why the Yankees are my favorite Major League team and always will be. Who follows college baseball?!?!?!?! Love Kobe, despite how my earlier comment was portrayed.

Frank, are you strictly a Laker fan or do watch the players more on an individual basis????

Area 51

The NBA sucks. The players from the U.S. do little besides shooting 3's (usually poorly) and dunking. The floor game, and certainly the team game, stinks. The international game has caught the U.S., which is why more and more foreign players are infiltrating the league. Lebron and Kobe notwithstanding, the NBA's best players are Yao Ming and Dirk Novitzki. More popular than ever? Guess again. Many of the not-so-glamorous teams have failing attendance. The quality of the game has diminished. Showboating has become more important than nuts-and-bolts basketball. The NBA sucks.

He's Boring now

#48

Best summation of the NBA on here. Nicely done

He's Boring now

Uh geez Yankees man, the only people mentioned on TV today were Yankees, so what part dont you understand about Andy, Roger, and Chuck? Bunch of overpaid overhyped has beens. With Georges Dementia is it any wonder?

Your post was removed because you are threating people on here and that is a no no. Stick to the topic and quit wishing ill will on others through violent means.

YankeesRule

If you think America doesn't produce phenominal natural talent, than you don't know the score. My guess is you sit at home and play chess. You may have a player here and there of foreign descent, but the bulk of the NBA played here in the states at our local colleges. Which really is the better way to enjoy the game to me anyway, as I've said before. I slightly agree with you about the one-on-one factor in the NBA.... Where it relies too heavily on its stars. BUT players like my absolute favorite- CARMELO ANTHONY, were good in high school, great in college, and even better in the pros. So go back to playing chess if you can't hang.

YankeesRule

Yankee GIRL here.... white BTW... and still don't get why all the ignorant (NON-THREATENING?!?!?!?!? ) comments are allowed. It's actually those types of comments that breed continued ignorance which equals violence. My comment was made to be taken half serious -half funny. SO AGAIN....I think people that speak in today's day and age about their hatred of black people should be raped by Kobe and slashed by O.J.... SO HA- there!!!! I'll say it again.

As far as every Yankee hater goes with regards to HGH and steroids. It's always the same argument. Everything always gets switched around to $$$. When clearly players like a Knaublach, who almost gave us a championship single handedly, weren't big on the payroll. As for steroids, they are CERTAINLY..... (AGAIN) not the ONLY players to use performance enhancing drugs. In fact, a baseball player typically uses such substances, not get bigger or faster.... but to come back from injury. And like I said before, if they really wanted to make legit accusations, there would be no one left really in all of MLB. Just Jeter. Why don't you go join the other guy in a game of chess.

jennah

Richard would NEVER do such a thing. Most likely he was provoked and I cant see him doing such a act. He is one of the few class acts left in the NBA. Oh and by the way this is more news than Britney going grocery shopping. Like duh isnt that what news is? What has happened to the world that gossip and intrusions of privacy is now news? No wonder most of the world is stupid. To think that celebrities habits are more important than a criminal investigation is seriously sad. Think peoples!!!!!!!!!

Area 51

"Yankees Rule": Do your homework. A player of foreign descent 'here and there'? Are you kidding? By my count there are 75 foreign players in the NBA, and the numbers are growing each year. In addition to great stars like Yao and Dirk, are you possibly familiar with international stars like Steve (MVP) Nash, Paul Gasol, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, and Peja Stojakovic? Even Tim (MVP) Duncan is not from the mainland U.S. Do you recall our embarassing performance in the last Olympics? It's because we were forced to play with the homegrown talent. I love basketball, but so many of the U.S. players are lacking in the core fundamentals of team play, the league doesn't seem nearly as solid as in the days of Dr. J and Larry Bird, not to mention the more contemporary Michael Jordan. Carmelo Anthony couldn't carry these guys jockstraps.

Area 51

I'll get back to my chess now. You can get back to your checkers.

YankeesRule

Checkers is for fat girls, thank you anyway. Take a break from chess to check THIS out... and get back to me HONESTLY, as to how many of these mofo's YOU have heard of..... ENJOY, becuase I know more about sports than a vast majority of men... So try and B.S. your way through this one!

Area 51

Let's just end this dialogue cordially. I was watching Chamberlain, West, Robertson, Russell, Havlicek, et al probably before you were born. You think the NBA is great today, fine. I just don't see it. Good night, and checkmate.

former teacher

This person is a former student of mine at Moon Valley High School in Phoenix Arizona. He was trouble then and is trouble now. He DID get in fights at school, even kicking an adult when they were down on the ground while trying to break up the fight. The girls nicknamed him, "Richard the Rapest Jefferson" because he thought he had to right to force girls on dates to have sex with him because he was this "big" sports star. Everyone knew it, the teachers, the administrators and the students. He was just able to cover it up because the school won the state title and he was going on to Uof A with a basketball scholarship. He was a thug then and a thug now. No role model for anyone! I don't care how good he can throw a basketball, he should have been kicked out of high school for his actions! Some parents still have tapes of him fighting at ball games, let's see if that makes the news. He is not a nice guy!

moon valley

I went to school with this guy from 7th grade through college. He has always been a jack ass. kid never deserved to graduate from HS. I know the people who did his homework for him, He was one of the major causes in a race riot our senior year, and he allegedly raped a girl too. He is a prick.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments