Jessica Alba's Mexican Standoff

2/15/2008 1:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mamacita-to-be Jessica Alba was totally mum when a photog yelled at her in Spanish, asking if she was embarrassed about her Mexican roots on Thursday. No habla espanol o ingles!

After Senorita Alba, who has Mexican, French and Danish roots, made controversial statements about her Mexican ethnicity and upbringing, reports claimed she was ashamed of her Hispanic heritage.

Alba, a "third-generation American," currently graces the cover of Latina magazine -- where she addresses the "haters."

xavierservin

I'm always mistaken for either Indian or Middle Eastern and my best friend is always mistaken for Persian or Armenian but we are both Mexican-American. It's because of ignorant American's and their perceptions on what "Mexicans" look like, that make people feel uncomfortable proclaiming their heritage.

I advise them to get a life and actually travel to Mexico and have them see for themselves the vast diversity found in Mexico. It's pathetic when I hear Americans say..."Oh, your Mexican?"

Get your faces out of the toilet!

xavierservin

in response to #71

What makes you such an expert on Mexican culture? Mexicans are mostly Indian? for your sake....get educated. Like yourself, I'm also proud to be Latino, but I don't see the need to make idiotic assumptions about Cuba. I have a couple of Cuban friends and I've been to Cuba myself. It's unfortunate, but till this day I have never been to a place so depressing, where 80% of kids ask for candy 'cause to them eating a candy bar is a dream. So is it fair to say that Cubans are mostly Black? and if we compare e/countries economies...well thats a no-brain-er.

MissLady

I read both articles and she was tryna do MAJOR damage control. In the Elle magazine last year, she was all "we didn't even speak Spanish at home" and "I can't even relate", then she's in Latina a year later like "its all I know, that side of my family". Which one, you whiny bitch?! You wanna be famous, thats what you gotta go through. Try spending 22 months in Al Daaniyah, Iraq sleeping in a damn hot ass tent with 6 other people, and you being the only girl, and THEN tell me how hard it is to walk down Robertson Ave in your $600 Roger Vivier flats with people taking your picture...

Rory M.

Jessica Alba is a proud and successful American Citizen. If any Mexican "pepperazzi" or Latino groups are offended that she doesn't speak Spanish, screw them! Maybe if they advocated assimilation instead of "reconquista", there would be more successful Americans of Mexican heritage and less illegal aliens draining our economy. Shame on you TMZ, you are a bunch of WHORES. I can't wait until the media gets the "goods" on Harvey. You reap what you sow, player.

laff234

who's she trying to fool? she only LOOKS latina!

Give Me A Break

Oh my goodness I hate this woman. I am in NM and nobody here likes her AT ALL. Most people in Albuquerque boycotted her movie after she started talking smack about our town. Well, as it turns out the dumb Biatch didn't even know where she was. She THOUGHT she was in Albuquerque when in actuality she was in Alamagordo. I think the population there is like, one thousand. This woman needs to embrace her heritage but know that she can't just takt it back right away. She also needs a Frickin MAP

AL GOREs VAGINA

I DON'T GET IT ? WHY WOULD SHE BE PISSED ? SHE HAS 50 MILLION OF US ILLEGAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS UP HERE IN THE A-UNITED A-STATES TO KEEP HER A-COMPANY !!!

Cartman

She's no J-Lo.

beth

She wasn't born in mexico and she was brought up speaking English by English speaking parents.

the only one who falsely claimed that she was "ashamed" was that moron Perez Hilton.

annoyed

"No habla espanol o ingles!" ????? Could you possibly make it any lamer? Do you really have sixth graders writing for this website??

kara

How annoying. She said she wasn't brought up in full celebration of her "hispanic roots". Why does that mean shes ashamed? At least she's honest about it.

ochoa

....ashamed of being mexican, right? Come on Jessica, your last name says it all. That spanish face of yours is gonna be pasted on your newborn, no hiding that.

Standards are badly needed.

Alba's original statements were conveniently taken out of context for
story fodder by an apparently unobjective (regarding Alba, anyway)
TMZ competitor with some kind of ethnical insecurity axe to grind,
and he's been grinding it ever since. Alba is a decent girl who is
recounting her own personal life experience, and it is what it is.
She has not lived an immigrant's life, three times removed. She
has lived a totally American experience from A to Z, with all of
it's accompanying viewpoints, and should not be faulted for that.

laff234

french... lol my ass! she looks FULL bean.

Standards are badly needed.

She HAS embraced her heritage. She is third generation USA, and a proud American citizen.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments