Renfro Not Feel Good Enough for Oscar?

2/25/2008 4:09 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroSo why did the Academy snub Brad Renfro by not including him in the memoriam? The Academy is pretty much tight as a drum.

A flack tells us a small group of people make extremely difficult choices but refused to say what criteria are used to make those decisions. She added we shouldn't waste our time cause no one would discuss it further.

Could it have something to do with the circumstances surrounding Renfro's death? It's uncomfortable to applaud when an actor dies from an overdose. Of course, exceptions must be made for huge stars who OD. Heath Ledger made the cut.

The red carpet wasn't the only thing that was sanitized last night.

how dumb

To #51 - The word ABUSE was used in the toxicology report. It was not just the mixture. He ABUSED the pills. That's no different than heroin, sweetie. Just not as good of a high.....

whoknew

Okay, so all of you who are ditzing the Academy Awards for not mentioning your favorite death - did you notice the dates of the deaths???????????????? It was expliciting noted at the beginning of the Tribute the dates of death. And yes #13, Roy would have been included had he died before the Memorial dates.

richard pierce

perhaps they left him off because he was a loser!

zombiehands

Did Nicole Smith get mentioned last year? Just curious..

firewmn

AND..... ANNA NICOLE SMITH was not mentioned either...

zombiehands

AND..... ANNA NICOLE SMITH was not mentioned either...

I couldn't even get her name right! Out of site, out of mind!

Sary

Dawn... Rob died on Jan 31st, Heath Ledger died AFTER Brad Renfro and Heath was still on that reel.

Popsmart

Call it what you want, it still does not change that fact that Heath I know for a fact was a presenter. And I do believe he was nominated. Did Renfro have anything to do with the awards? Not to my knowledge. I do not believe that he was nominated, presented, or even there. I may be wrong on that, but why include him if he had nothing to do with the Academy?

As I said before, I missed some, but tell me, were Brett Sommers and Charles Nelson Reilly included? If not, it's most likely due to the fact that they, too, might not have been a part of any Oscar shows.

Ian

"The snubbed Jim Varney a few years ago. This isn't surprising at all."

Jim Varney WAS included when he died.

joomalicious

Yeah #13, I noticed he was missing as well! Unless it was because he just died and the memorium was up to Jan 31st....And they should have showed Brad Renfro, for crying out loud they showed Anna Nicole Smith last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

It's an outrage that he wasn't included. He was an acclaimed actor. Shame on the Academy!

yuck

what about roy scheider?? he was left out also!!
AND Whoopi left out of the montage of presenters..?
I guess this was the "writer's revenge"?

I'll rent the DVD when it's done

They would have gone over their alloted time if they added his picture. Okay, I made that up.

A True Brit-Brit Fan

What about Roy Schieder?....they didn't mention him in the tribute either last night! What's up with that and HE din't OD. He passed form a staph infection of all things, but they mentioned something about the movie he was famous for....JAWS!!

abraham

heres the deal kids, Brad Renfro was a TV star. TV stars are not honored by the Oscars. Merv Griffin was also not honored. Beacuse he was a TV star. Simple as that