Aretha in Foreclosure? Show Some R.E.S.P.E.C.T.!

3/13/2008 1:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

She may be the Queen of Soul, but Aretha Franklin is fighting to keep her Detroit palace.
Read the docs
Aretha says a mistake by her lawyer over $445 in 2005 taxes and late fees caused her $700,000 mansion to slip into foreclosure. According to court documents, the big-boned singer owes $19,192 in back taxes.

She says she plans to pay up and reclaim the mansion by the March 31 deadline. A call to Aretha's rep was not immediately returned.

dorothy

Stars should remember to keep an eye on the people handling their money and taking care of their business. Screwing up Aretha's assets is just an error and oversight to him but a lose of property to her. Maybe someone else handled her mail and kept a few things from her hoping they could correct it without her knowing or that it would just go away. A lot of stars don't stay on top of their business, remember Toni Braxton. The bigger stars they become the less they want to be bothered with the little things, like reading the mail.

TheTruth

What kind of "mansion" costs a mere $700K?? LOL. My crappy old house in Long Beach cost more than that!

Lenn K.

With monthly grocery bill costing well $25,000 large, who has time to worry about the other bills. They can wait!

Wes

700k in the Midwest is like 2 million on the coasts at least..

got sumthang 2 say

I LOVED HER SINGING. IN HER DAY SHE WAS A QUEEN. BUT NOW........ MAYBE IF SHE AND HER BOYFRIEND SOLD THEIR HUMONGOUS, MURDEROUS, WHITE FUR COATS SHE'D HAVE THAT MONEY....AND MY R-E-S-P-E-C-T, HELL I MIGHT EVEN PITCH IN A FEW DOLLARS TO HELP HER OUT. KARMA

Blessed

Instead of posting negative comments about the Queen of Soul, try showing some R.E.S.P.E.C.T. by keeping your big mouth shut and pray for her. Doesn't that make more sense?! Afterall, except for the grace of God, there go I -- and YOU!

NUMbnuts

TIE HER DOWN AND GIVE HER A GOOD DOUCHE1!!

PUT HER ON BREAD AND WATER FOR 3 MONTHS DOES WONDERS!!

Crackhead

She can get a job swimming around at Sea World.

WHY

DAME!! how did you get from a $400 bill to 19K in 3 years?

I laugh at other's misfortunes

Ha Ha BEOTCH!! I lost R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you when you got your panties all wadded up when Beyonce called Tina Turner the Queen of Soul and you had a hissy fit.

And you're not big boned. You're a fat ass!

Go Away Paris......You are a SKANK

I would do her!
Smack that big butt and then watch it giggle to a stop. Smack it again and watch it giggle.

mel

I had to laugh when I read this---I used to work for the gas company in Michigan and when we were bored we'd look up celebrities we knew lived in Michigan on the computer. Aretha's account was in collection and they eventually had to shut the gas off in the street (requires digging up the street and they don't do that unless you have a massive bill that's been in collection forever) due to non payment.

3kids

Instead of eating the money...PAY YOUR LATE FEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

annoyed

I bet her lawyer is getting an earful. From what I've read and seen of her, she can be a royal diva when she wants to be.

letinstar

lord re re...get yourself together...lose some weight, get on paxil and stop being a bitch and handle your business...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments