Suicide at Mel's Place

3/19/2008 8:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ a construction worker committed suicide at one of Mel Gibson's homes today.

It happened at Mel's Agoura Hills home -- near Malibu. The construction worker was 48-years-old. We're told he hanged himself. The body was found by the job site foreman.

The Sheriff's substation in Lost Hills took the call at 8:07 AM -- that's the same station where Mel was taken after his DUI arrest in 2006.

Mel was not at the house when the body was discovered. A law enforcement source says no one from Gibson's family was living at the house -- it is currently under heavy construction.

The house is less than a mile from his church -- The Holy Family Catholic Church -- where Mel's daughter was married back in September, 2006.

Mel has never lived on the compound.

UPDATE
: Law enforcement sources say the body was found hanging in the addition to the home that was being built and was in "full-body rigor mortis" and the hanging could have occurred last night.

Story developing ...

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

Allen

I was a prison officer at one time, and remember when another officer shot himself in the tower he was assigned to with a Mini 14. I was criticized for not wearing a black band on my badge. His blowing his brains out on the job caused us no end of problems with inmates. While it is true I don't know what drove him to do away with himself, I feel it is unforgiveable to kill yourself on the job at a prison.

keb

not a bad place to do it.

becky

Funny it is "hanged"... you uneducated elitist prick. Who's the dumbass now?

becca

it's HANGED -not- HUNG! You moron.

BookieNindianapolis

Whether or not he was selfish, his family should be prayed for. Poor Mel Gibson, shortly after all his troubles & near his church to boot. Whatever wacky pyscho happenings, we all were into his Lethal Weapon movies when they first came. Those movies (especially the first) should be a cult classic. This is what gave Mel his great standing in Hollywood anyway. I still love Mel Gibson-but pray for the construction workers family for guidance from the lord God.

beck

TMZ is the only people who broke the story. I don't blieve it is true because the rest of the media would have exposed this. I think you guys are just trying to give Mel Gibson some more crud on his shoulders. Leave the man alone.

DUDE 2008

I KNEW THE GUY. THE HECK WITH MEL. NO, HE SHOULD NOT HAVE KILLED HIMSELF BUT THE FACT IS THERE WILL BE MANY BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE IATSE UNION TO SEND HIM OFF WITH TEARS. YOU GUYS THAT ARE TALKING ABOUT GRAMER SHOULD SHUT THE F**K UP. A HUMAN HAS TAKEN HIS OWN LIFE, AND TO THE IDIOT THAT THINKS THIS IS A PLOY TO PUT ANOTHER BAD TIDBIT WITH MEL, JUST GO TO SLEEP AND HAVE SOME GOOD WET DREAMS ABOUT MAD MAX AND STAY OFF THE WEB. THAT IS ALL.... MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON MIKE'S SOUL...

fox

Weird and sad

jeremy

Mike Van Dike was his name and he had a lot going on in his life. marrage,financial problems can do that. After work your tired and everything . I dont know about what set it off right then and there, Maybee a few to many beers.

jeremy

My dad use to know the worker who committed suicide. after work there was huge partys where the house is located. it must have had something to do with why he did it. I dont know, If anyone does, wuts up with it.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17