Mel Feels Awful About Man's Suicide

3/20/2008 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson feels "terrible" that someone committed suicide on one of his properties -- this according to a rep who spoke with TMZ.

As we first reported, a construction worker's body was found hanging in a structure on the property. We're told it was a suicide. Gibson has never lived on the property and has no current plans to move in. It's located less than a mile from the Holy Family Catholic Church, founded by Mel.

So far, the name of the 48-year-old construction worker has not been id'd. We're told Mel has no idea who the victim is -- we don't know if Mel's ever seen him.

Jerry

Jesus ? What are you, an idiot ??!!GET A LIFE ??!! I think you still belive in Santa !!!!!!!!!! Mel is just an ugly old man needing some money.......plain and simple!!!! P.S. But the movie is good :-) You know, abot mayas.

FIGHT

I think Jerry's message is a good example of how people should be. The things Mel said were bad, but his talent shouldn't be ignored. I agree that Apocalypto was a good movie, and should have been recognized at the Oscars; even though I haven't watched them in years.

I'm sure Mel does feel bad about the man's death. I don't think the man is evil.

And I'd like to know ... why is it bad for people to trash Jews, yet it's okay for TMZ to point out, every chance they get, that Mel's a Catholic? Are they trying to say he's a jerk because he's Catholic? That seems bigoted. I swear, sometimes I think TMZ is run by the JDL. The ADL is cool, but Shelley Rubin and the JDL can kiss my behind.

joe lozano

i knew the man that died and was a great guy i also worked with him as a propmaker in the studious may his soul rest in peace

dave

first of all there is one person in the whole lot here that actually said something important and that was (may his soul rest in peace).to commit this act takes complete and utter desperation,fear,and anger,anger caused by a society of people that are non believers,with no morals,no accountability no responsibility and no respect and love for their fellow human beings.and to them i say what are you doing for your eternity .we the holy spirit people of the world know what we will be doing and where we will be doing it as well.so you mock it all ,destroy it all ,and spit on it all,just remember one thing and that is we are just passing through .and as for get a life .....i say....HAVE SOME PRAYER....PRAISE JESUS

del

Dave: Judge not lest ye be judged. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

That's Jesus speak for shut your pie hole, when the rapture comes you'll be yelling "THOSE are the sinners over THERE!" while the Jesus train pulls away, leaving behind your flaming self.

del

I'm Catholic. So is Mel. However, Mel is of an obscure, offshoot sect, so small it can hardly be called a sect, which believes that the Pope is not rigidly Catholic enough. (Does a bear poop in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Guess not!) I don't think mentioning this fact about him, a fact that he has said is - next to his family - the most important aspect of his life, can be equated with bashing him, nor used as justification for his Jew-bashing comments. TMZ saying Mel is Catholic is stating a fact. Mel saying "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" is bashing.

del

Apocalypto was ok, sure, but Oscar worthy? Come on!
And, I hardly think giving the Oscar to a movie based on the writings of a Pulitzer Prize winner was such a shocking surprise.

del

Cormac McCarthy won the Pulitzer Prize for literature, the Ingram-Merrill award (twice), the Faulkner prize for literature, the Fellowship award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a MacArthur Fellowship, the National Book Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award, the and one of the UK's oldest literary honors, the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction. His movie won an oscar???? What??? Now that has GOT to be a vast, Jewish conspiracy!!!!

del

Fight - Rather than applying the Christian conceptualization of forgiveness to Jews and then faulting Jews for not adhering to it, perhaps you should educate yourself. http://www.crosscurrents.org/blumenthal.htm

dave

SONIA IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE OF THE CHURCH OF HYPOCRACY AND SELF EMPORTANCE, BECAUSE IF YOU REALLY WOULD HAVE READ MY WORDS YOU WOULD HAVE COME TO THE SAME REALISTIC CONCLUSIONS I HAVE AND THAT IS MANS IN HUMANITHY TO MAN .IS IT NORMAL TO BE HEAD A KID BECAUSE HE KILLED ANOTHER KID WITH A SNOWBALL BY HITTING HIM IN THE CHEST...AND YES ALL IN THE NAME OF ALLAH,OR CRUSH A KIDS ARM WITH A TRUCK BECAUSE HE STOLE A BREAD BECAUSE HE WAS HUNGRY?HOW ABOUT WHIPING OUT 12,000,000 PEOPLE IN A WAR THAT WAS BASED ON EXTERMINATING A RACE OF PEOPLE? THEN THE KURDS ,AFGANISTAN AND SO ON AND SO ON.IS THAT YOUR NORMAL SOCIETY? LIKE I SAID BEFORE NO ACCOUNTBILITY,NO RESPECT,NO MORALS NO RESPONSIBILITY AND NO BELIEFS ,SO I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH THE WAYS OF THE WORLD ,AND I WILL BE YOUR ABOMINATION FOR ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS REGUARDLESS OF WHAT RELIGION IT FOLLOWS AND AGAIN SONIA HAVE SOME PRAYER AND THANK JESUS FOR THE FACT YOU ARE EVEN BREATHING AT THIS MOMENT....GOD BLESS

FIGHT

Marc - I never said anything about Jews not being forgiving. That wasn't me - get your posts straight.

Sonia - The first 10 times they pointed out Mel was a Catholic was alright but to do it every chance they get is just childish - I don't care what you say.

FIGHT

If I have to read about Mel's religion every time I look at a post about him, then I would also like to read about how Amy Winehouse is a Jew, every time they write something about her. It's only fair.

FIGHT

LMAO FIGHT ... "Amy Winhouse busted for drugs once again ......... and let's not forget she's a Jew".

Red

I knew and worked for Mike quite a few times. I also build sets for the studios. He was one of the best to ever be in the biz. He will truly be missed by alot of carpenters. To his brother Robert, real sorry, I am here if you need me.

FIGHT

Dave #19 -

It sounds like the suicide victim's ex-wife, and perhaps the economy itself, caused his depression, and then his suicide. Leave us heathens out of it. You go ahead and praise Jesus - I'll continue to just praise people ... I think that would help the world more.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments