Suicide Victim on Mel's Property in Movie Biz

3/20/2008 5:06 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the man who committed suicide on Mel Gibson's property was a construction foreman on a number of movie sets, including "The Matrix Reloaded," and "Dr. Dolittle 2," "Star Trek: Nemesis," and "Karate Kid II."

We're told the victim is Michael John Van Dyke. Van Dyke was 48-years-old, and was listed as a prop foreman for the remake of "Psycho."

Sources say Van Dyke was a long-time friend of the contractor hired on Gibson's property and was going through financial troubles. He had no connection to Gibson.

We've learned Michael went through a messy, protracted divorce a few years ago. People who worked with him on the "Star Trek: Nemesis" set say he was in desperate financial shape. His ex-wife is a hair stylist for movies.

Van Dyke had a twin brother, Robert, who also works construction in the film business.

Rico

Mel just announced that he will be holding a special church service for the dead man at Mel's private religious compound.

Nuff_Said

HOW DESPARATE THIS POOR MAN MUST HAVE BEEN TO KILL HIMSELF IF I WERE MEL I WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM HELP TO GET OUT OF HIS FINANCIAL WOES...WHAT A SHAME

TrishaCuse

OMG....how insensitive! "..he was on the ropes after a messy divorce" the poor bastid HANGED HIMSELF...that's just wrong!

rodney

Last.

Rico

he killed himself after Mel refused to loan him $500

Rico

meanwhile, Tom Cruise goes on living. Where is the justice?

Rico

Mel is drunk in that photo, definitely.

Rico

Mel is a fun, and funny drunk. He would be fun to drink with.

I LOVE MY 3 CHILDREN THAT I DID NOT MURDER!!

He was definately "desperate and ON THE ROPES"

I am sorry, I have no sympathy for suiciders (is that a word?) ....... You know you can get help somewhere,if you think you are that meaningless in society than you will more than likely not be productive in society. We have enough non-producters (is that a word?)..in society today....the lazy, the criminals, the cheaters, the abusing welfare people the....should i go on???

Rico

i heard that all of Mel's kids are drunks and drug addicts

TTUO2

The financial mess going on in todays world is enough to make anybody lose it
you can only take so much before you give up. Sorry it was at Mels place though

gossip fan

I went to school since elementary with Mike VanDyke and his brother. My sympathies to his friends and family.

just my input

TMZ....are you reaching to make this MEL'S FAULT????? I don't care what you report on Mel...he is a good actor, a good family man, and a good person.....I am so tired of hearing that he is a bad man b/c of some drunken slur he made over a year ago....I am jewish and am not offended by him!!!!!!!!!!!!!........................get over this stupid POLITICALY CORRECT way of thinking.........

Standards are badly needed.

He's no victim. Suicide is an aggressive and selfish act. The victims are those who are left to deal with the mess suicide leaves behind; (his parents, grandparents, siblings,kids, friends, coworkers and even bystander Mel himself) who suffer as a result of his actions.

A disgusted person!!!!

Clearly these people did not know this man!!!! He was a father,brother, friend. How dare these commets even be posted!!!!
Its very sad.