Cowboy Willie Nelson

Stands Up For Cows

3/26/2008 3:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0326_nelson_cow-1Willie Nelson thinks you should know a thing or two about some cows. The country crooner is joining in on a campaign along with the Animal Legal Defense Fund to raise awareness about cruel-and illegal-living conditions for calves raised to produce milk for dairy products. Moo! Boo!

Specifically, they are targeting Land O'Lakes and Challenge Dairy to get them to stop using milk from calves that come from California's Mendes Calf Ranch - which employs an intensive confinement practice (keeping calves in cramped, filthy crates - sometimes without room to turn around or lie down) and is the subject of a lawsuit brought by the ALDF.

Nelson has written a letter to the companies and is urging others to join the petition, www.FreeBabyMendes.com, that is already 22,000 people strong.

TMZ.com contacted Mendes Calf Ranch who had no comment on the issue.

Mommas, don't let your baby calves grow up to be milk cows at Mendes indeed.

I want happy healthy cow milk!

shira

until there are laws passed in California that will halt the inhumane treatment of farm animals, there are NO Happy Cows in California...the commercials are an excellent example of false advertising.

Way to go Mr. Nelson....

iheartoli

Last time I checked milk is only produced by adult females cows that have a calf (think about humans, who makes milk, not babies)! Calves are usually housed in small crates like that so they can be used for veal. Noble cause, but incorrect facts.

mr.money

GrREAT job willie , now i think ill have a galss of land o'lake and a DOUBLE meat cheese burger.

Moderate

I find it amazing that they get milk from calves...NOT. Also, anyone who knows a dairy cow knows that if the cow is not happy then no milk is going to be produced!! Dairy cows are the most pampered farm animals on earth!! So I don't buy into this propaganda being spread about them. I don't own a farm but my home is surrounded by dairy farms and I see a lot of cows that live the good life. I don't know what kind of farms they run out there in California but first off, no calf is going to produce milk (only after it has a calf can it produce milk) and if it's unhappy it won't even produce milk. So somebody is misinformed.

dave

good god is that all the pepole in AMERICA is woried about is a bunch of dumb cows ...how fuing stupid ....and we live in oregon ..just put 2 in the frezzer....damn they taste good .......

Michelle

Go Vegan
help calves at this farm and all the other animals being treated horribly. The meat industry is poisoning us too using a ridiculous amount of anitboitics on these poor animals to keep them alive longer under harsh conditions so they can get a few more dollars for their flesh. Its sickening how we treat the animals and ourselves.
if I can go vegan anyone can!
read Diet for a New America it will change your life for the better.

Kelli

I wonder if that meant david wasn't going to sign?

hog

THANK YOU WILLIE NELSON FOR SPEAKING UP FOR THE ANIMALS. COWS NEED ALL OF OUR HELP. I WISH ALL CELEBRITIES WOULD DO SOMETHING FOR ANIMALS. GOD BLESS. I AM BACKING THIS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion

I'd hit it......talkin' 'bout Willie...not the cow!!

bethany

While Paris Hilton supports puppy mills

Willie Nelson actually gives a damn about animals

Thank you Willie!

SD Dairy Man

Dear Willie, Having growing up on a dairy farm, and doing it for most of my life, I know what baby calves go through. They are in calf huts, which yes are small, but efficent and necessary for the first few months of their life. These huts benefit the calf. It's not a cruel process, its another way to raise cattle. Get with the times.

You know who Iam

Mmmmmm... Veal.

TMZ is all your staff boarder line retarded, are they just lazy and fail to do their research? There is NO way anybody’s milking a calf; it’s just not physically possible.

Country Girl and proud of it!

I am a born and raised ranch girl that still doesn't understand all of the liberal and animal rights people. I don't understand how you city raised people get to be so tunneled visioned. If you would look at how things are actually done and not just from what the media is tell you, you would be pleasantly surprised at how well animals are treated. If you think dairy cattle are treated unfairly do some research. As I read above, dairy cattle are actually spoiled. Many dairy cattle actually get more feed supplements then any other cattle. They do this to make "the happy cow" that you are all worried about. Next time please do some research before you say something stupid again willie!

Get-a-clue!!

Targeting Land O'Lakes...

Bet you a nickle "Imperial Margarine" is behind the whole thing.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments