Is There a Levert Curse? Sean Dies While In Jail

3/31/2008 10:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

How much tragedy can one family take?? Another Levert has died -- and this one was in jail!

Sean Levert, son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert and brother of late R&B legend Gerald Levert, died over the weekend while in a Cleveland jail.

Levert had reportedly been in the Cuyahoga County Jail serving time for failing to pay roughly $80,000 in child support when he collapsed late last night. The warden of the jail tells TMZ that after Sean collapsed, he was immediately rushed to the hospital. He says Sean died at the hospital, not the jail as others have reported.

The warden says that they were unaware of any condition Sean may have been suffering from. The Coroner confirms they have received his body and are currently investigating the cause of death.

Sean, who as member of the 80s group Levert, hit it big with the song "Casanova." He was also featured in a few movies, including "New Jack City." His brother Gerald died in his sleep in November 2006.

PISSED OFF!

I can't believe that this man has lost his life and all you can think about is BACK CHILD SUPPORT!!!! Even if he didn't pay his child support that does not mean that he did not take care of his children. Don't get it twisted because you don't know the full story about the child support. How do you know that he didn't have issues with the baby mama? You should all be ashamed! These people have lost two sons in such a short amount of time, therefore your hearts should be full of sorrow for this family. My heart goes out to the Levert Family and may God Bless you in your time of need and sorrow. I will be praying for you! I feel so hurt and sad for you. I am a big fan! God will wrap his arms around you and guard your heart. God Bless and keep you

MELISSA

I'M JUST ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED!!! MY SYMPATHIES, AND BEST WISHES GO OUT TO MR. EDDIE LEVERT AND HIS FAMILY. I'M STILL GRIEVING FROM THE DEATH OF MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE GERALD LEVERT. GOS BE WITH THE FAMILY. MY BROTHER-IN-LAW HAS JOINED MY HUSBAND UP IN HEAVEN.

Victoria

R.I.P.

Renee

This message is for Ms. Betty Grable. I bet you are one lonely, ugly person. To say he was better off dead who are you? Get laid Betty, or better yet because you took it so personal find your babys daddy so you can get paid and stop being a hateful b@#$!!!!!

bambi2000

RIP Sean and my thoughts goes out to his parents I know that Eddie is having a hard time, and for those of you who is saying negative things is igronant

OJay's Fan

There are men and women who are further behind in child support than this. This is sooo sad and I pray for his family. They lost a son, brother, uncle,etc. Some folks get locked up for child support and there are others who are $200,000 or more in arrears and never get locked up. I guess his children's mother wishes she would have tried to work something else out, now he's gone and her children have no father over what? money! smdh

PUT PUT

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT HE OWED!HE WAS SOME ONES SON,FATHER,BROTHER,ROLE MODEL! I'AM SURE EVERYONE OWES SOMETHING NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL NO ONE IS FREE OF DEBT! AND I'AM SURE HIS KIDS ARE GOING TO MISS THERE DAD MORE THAN THE MONEY! THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL THAT CRAP!PEOPLE SHOULD SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE NOT HALF! JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T RESPECT YOURSELF DON'T DISRESPECT THE PASSING OF SOMEONE,THATS JUST IGNORANT! MAY HE REST IN PEACE! AND GOD BLESS HEIS FAMILY AND CHILDREN! THANK YOU,PUDDIN FROM BUFFALO NY

Miss Me!!

Seriously, not paying child support is NOT taking care of your child. You must be one of those people who thinks that buying a birthday present or giving your kid 20 bucks for the movies is good enough. Child support goes to the primary caregiver so that they can use that money to pay rent, electricity, food or anything else the child NEEDS. It does not go directly to the child so that they can spend it on nonsense. I'm not saying the guy deserved to die or anything, but he deserved to be in jail. May he rest in peace and my prayers go out to his family, but the man deserved to be in jail. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

Arye Michael Bender

Because it was Mr. Levert, we have yet to hear the usual police cant: "He pulled a weapon on me (his voice, no doubt) and I had to subdue him. It was self defense." Then the police will investigate itself while the officer(s) involved will be put on paid leave (vacation), then found innocent. The family will eventually sue, and an out of court settlement will be found.

Too much fascism. Not enough music. My condolences to the Levert family.

- Arye Michael Bender -

Liz

It sounds like he probably had some heart problems that he was not even aware of. No matter, it is still very sad!

Sharon

That was a heck of a song: Casanova. Too bad that these days "baby mama" is a phrase that is commonly used. Too bad all the way around. Talented family, what a shame.

Cara

Oh yes I'm a moron, I'm the one who sentenced him to jail for past due cs. I'm the one who has ensured that his child no longer has a father. Nope sorry, that's not me. I'm not a moron, I'm a person who sees CS as a stupid reason to jail a parent. Instead the children need to be with their parents.

jlove

RIP Sean. I hope you're in a better place. My thoughts are with your family.

Baseball Junkie

HILLARY STEP ASIDE: You're right. There's no curse, just a hereditary medical problem.
BTW: I like Hillary but I think you're right. She'd make a better senate majority leader than she would a president. She's just lost too much credibility.

Go Sox

Sissy

For those of you that are saying 'good he's gone' - obviously you haven't lost anyone close to you in your life because if you had, you would also realize that they too, were NOT perfect and SOMETHING they did in their life was not approved by everyone. Check the speck in your own eye before you judge someone else, because when it's your time to go, I wonder what people will be saying about you.
RIP Sean