Jay Leno: I'm Sorry Gays

4/1/2008 8:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Tonight Show" host Jay Leno has apologized for asking a visibly uncomfortable Ryan Phillippe for his "gayest look" during an interview last week. Homey don't play that!

In a statement to People, Leno said "In talking about Ryan's first role, I realize that what I said came out wrong, I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize."

Jay made the remark in a lame attempt to make light of Ryan's first acting gig as a gay teen on "One Life to Live."

Unfortunately, Leno has yet to apologize for 16 years of unfunny opening monologues.

Lara

yeah get over yourselves. The only one who should be apologizing is TMZ for their incredibly cruel comments about people who do nothing more than walk down the street. If you are a celebrity and have a hint of a gut, trust TMZ to find it, take a picture, post it on here with the most insulting comment their greasy writers can come up with. One of Jay's favorite people is Ross the Intern and he's not making fun of him when he's on. I think he was just trying to get a laugh as that is a comic's first priority.

cheesewiz

Hey tmz staff, you have to admit that LINN has got a point. Seems like you can dish it out but cannot take it very well. Finally seeing you on tv makes me believe that more than a few of you are gay.

Boxy Roxy

As Jay would say (and he does, every monologue, zzzzzz), "ExACTly, exACTly." Can't stand him. Never made me laugh. And that idiot band leader, Kevin: a waste of air.

OC Get A Life

I am certain that many people have made totally inappropriate and bigoted comments in private trying to be comedic, unfortunately for Jay Leno, he just happened to do it infront of 30 million people on live television. And, I am also certain tha he immediately saw the discomfort on Ryan's face, and apologized to him directly during the break.

Now as for Jay Leno not being funny, come on guys, he is definitely NOT the funniest guy on late night television but he is funny, what about this one from last week:

(Jay Leno shrug) "Yeah...the presidential primaries are definitely getting a lot of Biblical references....infact Bill Clinton is being compared to Jonah because he got swallowed by a whale!" (Jay Leno smirk)

Now if you do not think that is funny you have to either be Bill or Hillary Clinton.

Leno fan

Excuse me Mr. TMZ, you're the one who has to apologize to your readers for not being funny. Jay Leno has been making viewers laugh for years. He's been able to sustain his comedic talent for years, can you? You owe him that respect.

Carroll

Some people, they open their mouths, put both their feet in so far in, they almost literally have no legs to stand on! Shame on you Jay Leno. I thought you were beyond that kind of behaviour. You apologized yes.....however, It's what you were thinking and that's what came out of your mouth, unless of course, Ryan Phillipe was/is embarrassed to be playing a gay character. Jay should know better and I don't understand, despite Leno's verbal faux pas, why Ryan would be so uncomfortable. Does Ryan have a major problem being associated with the gay world?

McCain in 08

Within the next 4 years homosexuality will be illegal and we won't have to worry about all this politically correct idiocy

She looks great

Leno makes the stupidest, outdated sexist "jokes" all the time [written by a bunch of ugly old guys who could never get a date, written for the uneducated Carl's Jr demographic], yet this one harmless remark is what he apologizes for?

Leno owes big apologies to women.

Mik

Jay Leno is an Opportunist not a Comedian and his writers are no better.

NEIL

As a gay man.. I think Leno's comment is insulting .. imagine substituting the word "black" or "asian" in that same joke.. people would be up in arms. also as someone who loves to laugh, the joke simply is not funny. its like comedians who swear, its a cheap way to get a laugh,

BABY GORILLA

JAY LENO SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO HOWARD STERN FOR STEALING MATERIAL.

NO ONE IN SHOWBIZ CAN ENTERTAIN, OR PROVIDE THE QUALITY, QUANTITY OF CONTENT LIKE HOWARD.

NO ONE CAN "BROADCAST" LIKE HOWARD.

I LOVE YOU ARTIE. -------

Tyra Banks

McCain in 08: I hope you die...today if possible.

mike wahner

I think Jay Leno is a great entertainer.As a talk show host,I think Johnny Carson did well to choose him.I think lots of celebrities say/do the wrong things.I admire them when they publicly apologize.Ryan Phillippe is a fine actor,one of my favorites,certainly not the first to have an awkward part early in their career.The Tonight Show is without a doubt one of my all time favorites when Johnny Carson hosted it,and even more so with Jay Leno hosting it.It is the only one I will watch.Conan O'Brian is a self indulged wiener who thinks he's hilarious,for which he is not.Get rid of him and keep Jay Leno,make his show longer,say 90 minutes rather than 45 minutes,and you will see the sagging ratings for NBC come up significantly.

Nani

Get a grip, Harvey. Leno has so much more class than you will ever have.... and more money...... and more respect. Anything else???

And I can't believe the idiot network is going to put Conan O'Brien in Leno's place next year. What a total boring loser Conan is. I'll switch to Letterman at the point.

It' OK Buddy

I guess I don't get where the offense worthy of repentance was committed......

Gays don't have looks?