Moses To Heston: Hey Lil' Buddy!

4/6/2008 8:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary actor Charlton Heston, who uttered the best line in a movie ever -- "Take your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty ape!!" -- died at his Beverly Hills home last night at the age of 84.

The actor, who as head of the NRA once said you would have to pry a rifle from his "cold, dead hands," died with his wife Lydia at his side. He had been battling Alzheimer's.

JennyP.

I figured a lot of people would come on here and (will) start going on about his politics,... sure you don't have to agree with him, but compared to most actors he really led an exemplary life and wasn't a fake or psychological, immoral mess or embarassment.
My sympathies to his family, Heston lived a good life and he and his family have much to be proud of his accomplishments.

elephantman

Your an ashole #17!!!

Liz

Thanks for all the years Mr. Heston.............you will be missed!

RIP blue eyes!

elephantman

I meant 16, sorry 17

Specailk007

He sure led a very good and full life. What an icon! But way to finally get on the news bus TMZ... I read about this last night for crying out loud... I would have figured TMZ would have reported this but I came here and saw nothing... they're too busy reporting on perspiring celebs than reporting the passing of an icon.

RIP Charleton Heston and I hope his family gets their privacy during this difficult time

Robert

WELL SPOKEN MR LENN K, WELL SPOKEN.

Marcia

Good riddance. I hope they had to pry the gun from his cold dead hands.

Matt Damon

Rest in Peace! Old Friend!

Gia

What an outstanding actor and fellow American. He will be sorely missed! May he be at peace.

rosie

Mr. Heston made some great movies and definately stood up for his beliefs. And one of the few who had a long term marriage. Never heard anything negative about him or his kids. But I am pissed too that TMZ chose to ignore the passing of Richard Widmark, another great star. Thanks for nothing TMZ.

Miss Mary

He will be missed! A man who truly stood for his convictions and one of the few actors in Hollywood who wasn't afraid to stand up and speak out for what was right and good. The NRA won't be the same without you - 21 gun salute to a proud American who wasn't afraid to say so!!

Western Observer

Is Teresa Brewer dead? Who knew?

debv

R.I.P. A wonderful actor, and will be missed. One of the last greats.......

Area 51

The TMZ staffers are so immature that I'm sure they initially didn't even know who Charlton Heston was, much less Richard Widmark.

chrisa

he suffered from alzheimer's...
can you say self-inflicted gunshot wound?