Moses To Heston: Hey Lil' Buddy!

4/6/2008 8:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary actor Charlton Heston, who uttered the best line in a movie ever -- "Take your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty ape!!" -- died at his Beverly Hills home last night at the age of 84.

The actor, who as head of the NRA once said you would have to pry a rifle from his "cold, dead hands," died with his wife Lydia at his side. He had been battling Alzheimer's.

Area 51

Here's what happens when all guns are supposedly banned: the Virginia Tech campus was a "gun-free zone".

thomas citizen

The many made unforgettable films, marched for civil rights when most famous people stayed at home, was married to the same woman for 64 years and served in leadership roles of major organizations yet all some of you liberal morons can do is make quips about prying his guns away now that he is dead. Mr Heston owned legal firearms almost all his life and they never did you or anyone else any harm. You do not even have the decency to respect a life well lived.

freedomisnotfree

WE LOST ANOTHER ICON TODAY ,CHARLTON HESTON NO ONE COMPARES TO THIS REAL TALENTED AMERICAN. OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THEIR FAMILY. MR HESTON ,REST IN PEACE
HE WILL BE MISSED BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN.

Geegirl52

I was so sorry to hear of the passing of one of Hollywood's legends. Mr. Heston gave 100% at whatever he did. I for one will miss him, hell I grew up watching this man...........God bless you Mr. Heston and your family. =(

Grace E.

Thank you TMZ for removing George Clonney posting right next to Charlton Heston's death post.
George Clooney mocked Charton Heston's Alzheimers for political gain. Five million Americans have Alzheimer's and one in eight baby boomers will be coming down with some form of dementia with in the next ten years. Many Americans will be taking care of a parent or grand parent with dementia whether it be from stroke, AIDS, or Alzheimer's and do appreciate the respect shown here to a great Amercan actor and Hollywood icon who did stand up for his views being popular or not.
George Clooney's legacy will foever be poking fun of man's handicapps and disease for political gain. Very un American and just plain ugly. Charlton Heston said that George Clooney proved that class does skip a generation referring to legendary Rosemary Clooney George Clooney's famed aunt.

Eric

Charlton Heston was 83, not 84. He was born in October of 1924 meaning that he would have turned 84 this fall. Both Yahoo and this site state his age as 84. The New York Times actually took the 15 seconds to figure out his correct age.

Reagan McLane

Certainly, Charlton Heston was an actor of great importance. He played great characters of historical, and biblical significance.
The co-stars he was featured with in films were of the highest caliber. When great events occurred in real life, he was there.
He marched for civil rights. As an advocate for the 2nd amendment, he championed the NRA. I can say I saw him speak to a large audience once and he had to compete with a freight train as it roared past the station in Montgomery, Alabama. He said something to the extent that he had played Moses and had great power on his side. Moses, Ben-Hur, Andrew Jackson, and
Michelangelo are certainly some of his greatest roles. Don't forget his Cardinal Richelieu in the "Three Musketeers". "Skyjacked" was a film I particularly enjoyed. It is my hope that some of his forgotten films will be shown on TCM again soon. "Planet of the Apes" was a film of his which I liked. "Omega Man", "Soylent Green", and "Will Penny" were movies I liked. Whenever he made a film, I tried to buy a ticket to see it. There are probably a few I never saw, one which comes to mind is "Gray Lady Down." Another word on "Planet of the Apes", it was directed by Franklin J. Schaffner who was an
alumnus of Franklin & Marshall College just as I am. Once, when I was a student there, I was doing some research for a paper, and the new librarian unlocked the door to the Schaffner collection of memorabilia for me. I saw a mask from "Planet of the Apes", scripts, and actual film cans. My wife has the distinction of having been on a trip with the American Film Institute to London a few years before I met her. She not only met Charlton Heston, but she exchanged words with him. And she told me that he threw back his head and laughed with a sound that must have had a bit of Moses in it. Charlton Heston was a part of
history and made great film history. I mourn him, but we have a great legacy from him. Thank you! Reagan McLane

freedomisnotfree

MR HESTON WE LOVE YOU

marcusA.

You people are sick who are making fun of alzheimer/s. My mother had this disease and it is a terrible thing for all near and dear involved. You should be ashamed of being flip about such a terrible, devastating affliction.
And basing your judgements on him solely due to the NRA is silly, Heston was a good man, not immoral and not a big fake like so many stars. He was a great actor and a decent human being. He and his family have much to be proud of, RIP.

American Slave

Its too bad he didn't die from gun violence. That would have been appropriate. Watch Bowling for Columbine. See the hand Mr. Heston had in children getting shot at school.

Kelli

Conservative gun nut. Hope he is where he belongs.

Lori

A totally class act. Loved his voice he came across as a for real actor in all his parts he played. I LOVED him the The Presidents lady!! He played Andrew Jackson. What a great movie!!! Rest in peace.

Rex

"NRA lobbyist will Burn in Hell for eternity. Could not answer the hard question on gun control. Used his fame to serve the gun nuts."

Hell is reserved for the liberals. RIP-CH

Kendall

Another big hole left in our world. He had decernment that went beyond the common person. Had is lifes direction taken him to the White House, I would have whole heartedly supported him as would ANY intellegent American. To his wife and family I say, Thank you for sharing with us such a great soul.

Renee

His films will keep his memory alive for decades to come. RIP Mr. Heston. Alzheimers strikes again.