Moses To Heston: Hey Lil' Buddy!

4/6/2008 8:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary actor Charlton Heston, who uttered the best line in a movie ever -- "Take your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty ape!!" -- died at his Beverly Hills home last night at the age of 84.

The actor, who as head of the NRA once said you would have to pry a rifle from his "cold, dead hands," died with his wife Lydia at his side. He had been battling Alzheimer's.

Cj

One of the last TRUE Hollywood legends!!!! RIP Mr.Heston,you will be missed.

todd lissner anti adult anti wholesomeness activist-----(kadintodd2@aol.com)

i wouldnt cpunt on a reserection!!

joey

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed... IS THE BROKEN RECORD TECHNIQUE WORKING YET!

Just Guessing

I remember my two girlfriends and I going to the movies by ourselves for the very first time. We went to see Ben Hur. We all developed our first Hollywood crush for this man.

Charlton Heston was an icon in his time. Gone are the days when men looked and behaved like men. Men that had strength, character, class, convictions and were respectful and courteous. Whether you agreed with everything he believed in is irrelevant. You cannot take away his good deeds, hard work, accomplishments, strength of character and the high standards and excellence he held himself to.

Thank you Mr. Heston for the many good memories you provided during what many of us realize is fleeting time - short lifes, no matter how many years you live. Your many movie portrayals will live on and remind of us of a time long since gone. A time when you "charged on" on to the cinema screens bold and handsome, strong and young with class and intelligence. A time when the whole world was still out there before us and we could dream in technicolor.

Rest in Peace dear man, your life was noble and well lived. Thank you for sharing your talents. You have been and will continue to be missed. May Moses greet you at the gates of heaven and let you charge in horse and chariot into the afterlife.

B17Engr

We have lost a GREAT American!
Rest in peace.

Mariah

too good for you

I met Mr. Heston in person on a commercial shoot back in the 1980's and he was not very nice to anyone. Rather full of himself. The media puts these Hollywood icons on such a high pedestal and in reality they really don't deserve it. This was a man who really was very unpleasant and not someone who I gave a damn about.

Sandra

Keep your gun and I will keep mine! NRA! God Bless You!

ChuckyDee

To the person that said "NOTHING BUT GOOD SHOULD BE SAID ABOUT THE DEAD. HE'S DEAD SO GOOD!"

Right on..............

Canadian Queen

I never liked Mr. Heston. But I am sorry he died and that his family had to go through all of that. I have a father very similar to Mr. Heston regarding his views. I love my Dad, hate his beliefs. But I would never want him to go through anything like what Mr. Heston had to go through. I am his daughter and no matter what he is still my Dad. R.I.P Mr. Heston. God bless your family. P.S- I just have to say this for all you people who say that Mr. Heston was a great man. Gun control is a totally different thing than taking everyones guns away. It is for safety reasons only. What in the world is wrong with that? I really didn't agree with Mr. Heston's beliefs one bit.

Sandra

God Bless Mr. Gun Rights! Pro Freedom, Pro Gun!

Dude

People in California, Texas and Arizona do need to have guns because those states have too many gangs and need some protection. Maybe all the police need to go on a gang hunt and thin them out. Put some real laws in place like the old days and crime will go down. Quit bitching and start doing! Rest in Peace Charlton Heston.

Mariah

Bitchie: you have a point when you say gun control is not taking away guns. I think you are right and wrong. I think the NRA and similar minded groups, (and I am for gun ownership, too) are afraid to "cave" on any point. Give an inch, they'll take a mile if you know what I mean. The NRA will fight most laws that look for limiting any guns no matter what because then where will it stop? It may start with AK-47's (and yes, who in their right minds needs to own one of those) but then if they lose that then handguns will be the next on the chopping block so to speak. Then this and that sort of hunting rifle, etc. It is like when abortion rights activists clamor against the banning of partial birth abortions. (I'm not looking to start a holy war on abortion, now) but I don't think abortion activists really want to support something like that, but if they were to concede partial birth then where would it stop? Anti-abortionists would then clamor for the outright ban on all abortions next. Compromise is just something people talk about in politics but you rarely see, huh?

Grace E.

112. Nobody comes to TMZ expecting class but frankly I expected a little more than a slanted picture of Mr. Heston posted with the sole intent of sullying the man's career and life. You expect us to believe the only picture you could scrounge up was a pic of him holding a rifle in the air at an NRA event? You couldn't have posted a pic from one of his movies or him at an awards ceremony, nothing like that?? Riiigght. RIP Mr. Heston. You were awesome and nobody of this generation, certainly not Mr. Clooney, Mr. Cruise, Mr. Penn, god, the list goes on, will ever compare to you.

Posted at 1:42PM on Apr 6th 2008 by annie2

True a better photo would more appealing at one's death post however this may very well be the very best that the Sunday shift at TMZ can do and perhaps when Levin arrives he can help his staff with the pretty professional photos verses blurred non professional images. No cinema photographers on straff for sure at TMZ.
Remember Perexhilton had this posted way before TMZ and even msn.nbc.com entertainment

Mariah

Oops, my earlier post posted twice. Sorry.