Archuleta Saw "Angels" Way Before Idol

4/9/2008 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Archuleta made it seem like he just found the song "Angels" for his performance last night -- shame, shame, everybody knows your name -- it's been in his repertoire for years!

Check out a pre-"Idol" David singing (and perfecting) the Robbie Williams song back in 2005. This isn't the first time he's pulled out one of his old standards either -- he did the same thing with "Imagine."

Star

Carol.. I know what you mean I cannot believe they arent sued for almost every story since they pretty much are all lies... THank Goodness they have that Pop Fiction show to make these sleezeballs waste time on fake stories!!

Brooke

I don't think he is as great as others do. He is talented and everything, but if he'd been singing this song for years I think he should of done a better job on it. It just wan't as good as when he sung Imagine... I do feel sorry for him because of him having a crazy stage father though...

kt

He has an amazing voice -- it's a gift. He's just boring and lacks a personality....

Ali

Are you flippin kidding me? You're berating Archuleta because he sang the same sone before?? THAT'S JUST STUPID.All of this years top 10 have had significant musical experience and exposure. I venture to guess that all of them are singing songs that they've sung sometime before. What matters is who is doing the best music RIGHT NOW on Idol. The rest is history.
On another note... back off on David and his dad. Remember, David didn't pick him... he's 'stuck' with him.

Sean

TMZ is so negetive it's sad. All you at TMZ really need to get laid and lighten up.

Melissa K

WHO Cares?

Nic

Angels is by Robbie Williams. He is British and used to be in Take That.

Star

Thank you Nic... I love that song! Jason Castro needs to go always sitting down playing an instrument. BORING!!!

Randy

This guy deserves no attention. He's pathetic and Gay.

You people are pathetic

I love how many people come on here and say. You are so negative, call TMZ liars, and how much they hate TMZ, but they come back everytime to read the magazine. You are no better if you choose to read this stuff. LOL, I happen to this its quite amusing.

As far as the David thing is concerned he is being pimped by AI to win, however, I think he will have the least album sales of any winner, as he appeals mostly to pre teen girls, who don't buy CD's.

Nine2five

David A. has undeniable talent. His voice is amazingly mature; but the rest of him, not so much. Hey, he's 17 years old..he shouldn't be behaving like a wiseass beyond his years. He will have a career, in spite of his father. David C. is also terrific, he handles his performancs like a pro..same with Carly. She is gifted with a beautiful voice; she just needs to give more consideration to her song choices and choose songs with a bit more mass appeal. I think this is the most talented group of A I finalists in the history of the program.

Me in Montreal

You know that hyperventilating daddy's boy drives me crazy! He has been groomed very well and the cute little "Oh really (inhale) ... thanks (inhale)" shtick is old and not very believable.

He reminds me of a puppy chew toy. Now if only he could get his father the Rottweiller off his ass he won't need as much therapy in a few years. Somebody get this kid Mylie Cyrus' number.

adri

Star, I think the song "Angels" was originally performed by Robbie Williams, but was later covered by Jessica Simpson. I vaguely remember seeing a video of her singing on a rooftop with a lot of birds flying around.. I think that was her cover of it.

monica

Does it matter if he sang it before?? Some of the Idols have record deals... just because he sang it before does not mean that he is not IDOL material...give me a break!

erin

And? This bothers you and we should care because?