Matchbox 20 Won't Play Because of Some Bulls***

4/12/2008 5:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matchbox 20 is canceling a show at Cheyenne Frontier Days -- which bills itself as the world's biggest outdoor rodeo -- over their newfound concern for the animals involved. Did they not know what a rodeo was?

Lead singer Rob Thomas and his wife, Marisol, posted this statement on the band's website: "We ask that (fans) please understand that it would be impossible for us to put ourselves in the position of making money from what we believe to be the mistreatment of animals."

But get this: the band is still scheduled to perform at the North Dakota State Fair -- which also includes rodeo events. They'll figure it out eventually.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

kimmyt

MATCHBOX 20 SUCKED THEN AND THEY STILL SUCK!

kc

What a bunch of retards. Of course, if bulls weren't used in rodeos, they'd be used as hamburgers. I wonder how much leather they wear at a gig?

kc

I wonder if they even know where leather comes from?

Kelli

They were awesome at one time. I hate to think they are now doing rodeos and State Fairs. :( I agree, are they vegetarians?

anon69

maybe they think they will draw more attention to the "mistreatment of animals" by being advertised to perform and then canceling for the cause.
Who knows how some of these people think...

D

wtf? it's rodeos are not cruel to animals, these guys are total douchebags!

pecopoopoopants

You have got to be kidding me? I don't know where to begin. Let me add a suggestion that might just implode their brains: Do the show and then donate made money to P.E.T.A. or some other patchouli wearing group.

anonymous

Do they wear shoes? Leather watch bands? And have they witnessed any mistreatment of or cruelty towards rodeo animals? Have they witnessed any animals in the wild?

Cynic

I'm a proud carnivore, but I think bullriding is cruel. It's all about a cowboy proving how much tougher he is than the bull. Pure ego.

I can understand some of the other stuff they do at rodeos, such as calf roping, because they are skills actually used on a ranch. But bullriding is just mistreatment of an animal for entertainment purposes. Even the slaughtering process is more humane.

dboz

You all are so negative and judgmental!!! Maybe they just dont approve of animals being tortured and mistreated. I very much admire them for making this decision.

lulu

Hey, I guess when you're Matchbox 20 ya gotta maintain some standards......

__dani

Hahahahaha. You HAVE to be kidding me! What a bunch of fricken losers. Rodeos are going to happen whether you perform in the same arena or not. And if it weren't involved in rodeo, we'd be eating it tonight for supper, so the tree hugging animal activists can just kiss my ass. And seriously...BULLS are mistreated? Im pretty sure they arent the ones getting bucked off and stomped on!

they eat meat

i know they eat meat. or at least rob thomas for sure does.
hypocrite much?
Either be for animals all the way or shut up rich PR marketing bull.

mickey lou

What a bunch of idiots! They just want to be loved by Hollyweirds bimbo's!

they eat meat