Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

anonymous

My condolences to Cami and her family at this time. Eternal rest grant unto him o Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in eternal peace.

Ms_Tell_It_Like_It_Is

It doesnt matter who you are and how much you have, losing a parent, especially so young, just sucks.

Thanks for handling this with good taste for a change, TMZ.

My condolences to Cameron and her family.

Me

Oh my, how sad. And he was a very handsome man. Condolences to the family.

Spandex never looked better

I don't know Cameron personally, but my heart goes out to her. To lose a parent suddenly is a difficult thing to endure. May God be with her and her family.

cloe

I agree completely, #14. I lost my dad a few months ago, at age 59.

My thoughts are with her. How sad. :(

Bindi Your Mother Has Whored You Out

Agreed. Thank you for handling this news with some dignity. She must be in shock. How terribly sad for her to lose her Dad at such a young age. I've had this happen with my own relatives. They think they've got a cold or flu they can't quite shake, then...gone. Pneumonia is still an insidious thing. Prayers and comfort to Ms. Diaz and her family.

Lisa-Centereach

Condolences to the Diaz Family.

Bubblebunny

Very sorry hear of Cameron's father's death. May he rest in peace, and Perpertual Light shine upon him. All our prayers.

austinreader

Much, much too young

Condolences.

Erica N

Cameron I'm so sorry for your lost. I know how it is to lose a parent. God is with you in this time of need. You and your family are in my payers....... Also good job TMZ for handling this nicely!

Tangie

That is terrible! So young. Condolences to her and the family.

wasted days and wasted nights

I'd like to thank TMZ for posting this respectfully and I'd like to express my condolences to the Diaz family.

dave