Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

sandy

TMZ you did great with this story... respectful. Keep it up!

who cares?

Keeping the Diaz family in my prayers.

catwoman

My thoughts arre with Cameron, she must be in shock, my 54 yr old sister was diagnosed today with pnuemonia, I am on her right now to take care.....R.I.P. Mr. Diaz

What an ahole

How horrific to lose your Dad so unexpectedly. You are in my prayers. God Bless.

barbarab

I agree with every one-------so sorry for the whole family--makes you want to cry

christina

i am so sorry

1st

Isn't That ROBBIE KNEVEL?????

FlBiker

Pneumonia is a game ender.

offtheproperty

So sorry Cammy. He must have been a real good guy by the looks of his daughter, you.

BB

I have had the pleasure on many occasions to hang out and play pool with Emilio. He was such a kind, calm mellow man with a love for his daughter and was loved by all in Seal Beach. He will be sorely missed!!!

Tyra Banks

So very sorry, Cameron. My thoughts are with you.

Linda

I am very sorry for her. She has so much positive energy in this life. She is a blessing to us. God bless her and her family.

alex

now i see why she's so ugly and un-talented

Liz

Cameron, I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. May your faith help to bring you peace!

bdog1120

That really sucks to hear, I feel like she has had kinda a rough way to go, I will keep her and her family in my thoughts.