Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

Anonymous 4.12.08 Expect us

How terribly tragic.

On yesterday's TMZ show, you showed her at LAX airport. Maybe on her way to visit her ill father?

So very sad. May he R.I.P.

Liz

The man had pneumonia people. Don't start with the rumors!

Len

What a Bummer. Been there. A tough painfull loss. God Bless him and the family.

Silver Sparkles

Poor Diaz family! My mother recently had the flu, pneumonia, and pluresy. She is 56, and it was the most terrifying thing I have seen her go through- and she has asthma and early COPD! Its a blessing she survived given Mr. Diaz was in perfect health and still suffered. We are praying for the Diaz family!

diane

I just want to say how sorry i am for her loss. he must of been not only her dad but her best friend. She is a great actress and comedian. my famila te quiere mucho. we will pray for his return to heaven along with you cameron.

tammy

Sorry to hear of her loss of her father at such a young age.

onry13

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Diaz family and friends.

Georgia Girl

Very sad. Prayers and condolences to Cameron and her family.

FlBiker

TMZ get the coffin camera ready like Ike Turners funeral. Thank you in advance.

patsy ramsey

Unfortunately nothing will ease camerons pain for about a year. i hope she recovers quickly. thanks tmz for reporting it, but you guys should back off from her now that you reported it so you dont alienate the legions of tmz fans who love the dirt on that loser brandon and prince von ahole but sympathize with the loss of amily members

Stacy in FL

Cameron, I know you probably won't read this, but I am sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your father. I hope that you will find comfort of the good memories with him.

Just sayin.....

Yawn.....Who likes Cameron Diaz again?

t.favor

GOD BLESS YOU MS. DIAZ AND FAMILY. ITS ALWAYS DIFFICULT WHEN SOMEONE DIES SUDDENLY. DO KNOW THAT PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. DURING YOUR TIME OF GRIEVE AND AFTERWARDS.

April Dawn

Sorry Cam our thoughts and prayers are with you.....

April Dawn

#67 u r a azzhole and would prob like to be azzedraped by a corpse yourself u loser