Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

Robert

What is loss?

I resent
What loss represents
I resent
What great loss presents

So what’s the fuss about loss?

Waiting!
Debating!
Contemplating!

What is loss?
Something you care about
Taken away from you by force
Creating total unforgivable chaos

Thinking!
Blinking!
Seeking!

What is loss
It is a minus instead of a plus
Hence the unmistakable fuss
Death and sickness build up great grief
Loss brings despair instead of relief
And in loss itself I have no belief

I resent
What loss represents
I resent
What great loss presents

Loss! An inequitable cause
Thrown on you without a toss
So you become very cross
Because in your life you realize, you are never the only boss!

A thought from when I lost my father.

Ev

my heart goes out to ya sista...my dad died suddenly after surgery 6 years ago, it's the biggest suckage ever..peace 2 u

Sad

Nice poem Robert. I, too, lost my own father 3 years ago.

Kelli

Nice Robert. My condolences.

Chris

God bless you.

me

Condolences.

Peace

A fan in Ohio

Sorry for your loss!!

Robert

It's always tuff when we loose A loved one. my father was especially hard or me, he was my best freind. but now I have my 25 year old son. no that he could replace the old man, but he fills the void while making his own spot. kelli you know folks get jealous when we converes back an forth. like I care. HI kelli. thank you starshine.

ohcomeon

Praying for her. I lost my mom two years ago at the age of 58. You don't know pain until a loss like this happens. You feel robbed if your parent doesn't get to see you get married or have children. The best thing to do is take time off and be there for your siblings/family especially if there's surviving grandparents as I stayed with my moms mom in Maine for a month. You think the pain will never go away and it doesn't fully, but with time it does get better. About a year the pain starts to ease. My prayers are with you.

JayH

I am disgusted by the terrible behavior of some of you regarding the death of a person. You obviously have never experienced losing a family member.. I pray that Cameron doesn't read some of your hurtful, shameful, ignorant comments. I hear jealousy and stupidity in those negative posts.. However, ignorance and lack of brain-cells is no excuse to be rude in this situation- or any for that matter.. Get a clue, Donald.

So sorry for your loss- and thanks TMZ for not making this into some kind of a circus. She deserves her privacy and our respect.

Tookie

God Bless !

jerry doremus

my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her fanily

Sandeana

If Emilio Diaz was under any kind of medical care, then any doctors involved in his medical care should be thoroughly investigated. A healthy man in his 50's just doesn't die from pneumonia or the flu. An investigation should be started IMMEDIATELY, and should not be put off. Something seems very fishy about this sudden death, and no doubt doctors are involved. I'm very sorry for the death of Cameron's. dad. I know what she's going through.

gwen

I am not a big Cameron Diaz fan but am truly sorry to hear about her father. Looked like a guy in really good shape and clearly his wasn't very old.

gwen

one other comment..What the hell kind of pneumonia is going around that healthy people are dying from it?