« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Cops Called For Technical in Melo Assist?

4/15/2008 10:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Denver PD has launched an investigation into whether several officers acted inappropriately by giving recently-arrested Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony a ride to a hotel after his fianceé refused to come pick his ass up!

When you're popped for DUI in Denver, the law says cops take you to detox or release you to a "sober, responsible party." After the bust, cops took Melo to a local hospital for a blood test. The CW2 reports that's when they called his baby mama La La to come get him -- she said no way, Jose!

Instead of taking him to their other option -- detox -- a sergeant personally took Anthony in his police cruiser to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in downtown Denver, where he was staying.

A police spokesperson says the officer went "above and beyond through a personal relationship" and there wasn't "anything wrong" with what he did. But it doesn't end there ...

Another cop drove Melo's $130,000 sick silver Mercedes to a safe place -- a police parking lot -- so he could come back later and pick it up. What's supposed to happen is the car is towed to an impound yard, but apparently the cops didn't want Melo's ride to get vandalized.

A rep for Anthony could not be reached for comment.

UPDATE: TMZ spoke to a spokesperson for Denver PD who explained Carmelo's Mercedes was moved for safety, because it was on a highway and not a street. And as for La La not picking him up from the pokey? She claimed she had child care issues. For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Fred

He still not going to give you free tickets. Just ask his buddy Iverson. Lock their butts up like everyone else.

Liz

This is so wrong. Another overpaid athelete gets special treatment! Fire the police officers.

Just curious, what race were the officers?

Liz

#2, Would you like some cheese to go along with your SPAM?

MELO?

Who cares La La you wrong for that one. And im glad they took care of him good job whoever the policemen were. A nice car like that and race has nothing to do with it so who cares what race the police officers were.

Jamie

i guess all you have to have is money, then the cops turn from upholders of law and order to a personal valet service. I wonder if they cleaned and waxed the car as well.

goolsbinin

My question is why wouldn't La La pick him up. Its not like she payed for the car or gas that would have been used to scoop him. I'm willing to bet she hasn't payed for anything since they got married. The least she can do is pick him up from jail. I'm just saying.

QueenOfTrashin

Ha, ha, ha! I love that this gangsta, thug-ass punk has been put in his place by La La! We all know that he was up to no good being out at 4:00 a.m. La La need to get the house and the money and leave this slug in the dust. I have posting on this site because of the way that it has to be done, but I couldn't resist ragging on this. Labron IS the better man!

Liz

The race of the police officers has alot to do with it. I gurantee you they were black. That is why they took CARE of him! If he was white and the cops were black or vice versa this would not have happened!

Gemini

Ok so you think it's because he is black or that he needs to go to jail since he is a thug, gangsta. Well as long as it's only for an hour like the bulimic, drug addicted celibrispawns

elericram

some people are so hateful,...he did'nt hurt nobody, dag...give him a break.

Liz

This thug should lose his job. If this happened to me, I would lose my job.

DC

It might not be the case of favoritism you all think. I was pulled over last year, I had no idea I was over the limit. I thought, "Gee, I just had a couple of beers at my friend's house," but I blew a .14. Standing there, shocked, the black officer offered to take my white butt home and another black officer drove my car home. He said he wouldn't charge me if I swore I would go to my first AA meeting the next day and call his cell phone from it. I did. At that first meeting 3 others told similar stories after I told mine. I've been sober for 6 months now. If I had gone to jail, been prosecuted, gone through that hell, I think I'd still be drinking. It hope Carmelo has a similar wake up call and gets help. And good for his wife. I bet she's as sick of that crap as my wife was.

l

Nice wife to be, that's a woman I would want to marry, I guess stand by your man has it's limits, Damn I would be so mad if my future wife left me hanging when I called her to pick me up at 4am, I would be like, that's what's up.........bye. And the next day her ass would be gone, I would rather pay child support than deal with a woman that doesn't care about me.

Bird

14. This thug should lose his job. If this happened to me, I would lose my job.

Posted at 11:42AM on Apr 15th 2008 by Scorpio

No you wouldn't. How would your job even know you got a DUI? Stop being stupid.

Loouhvul

Why do people get upset or act surprised when they see something like this? Celeb/money makes the world go 'round. There are twenty-five blue bloods that get the same treatment for every so called "thug" that gets this same break...probably closer to a hundred twenty-five.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments