Fantasia: The Apple of Our Eye

4/18/2008 1:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia BarrinoFantasia Barrino can now join the long list of "Idol" celebs who have appeared at prestigious events.

She has been chosen to serve as the Grand Marshal of the 81st Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival. That's great and all, but It's no balloon festival, outlet mall or housing development opening!

The event takes place May 3 in Winchester, Va. She'll have until then to read up on the history of it.

me

Get over yourselves people. She's talented and successful and will be around for a long time.

mad as hell!!!!

Soooooo, why is it ok for kelly clarkson ( whateve her name is) and clay aiken to go out and do public appearances and not ok for fantasia? I find that comment about the event not being a housing development or outlet mall and ballon festival to be a little F@*K UP!!!!!! AND RACIST......she is just as good as the rest and personally i think the best american idol this far......So if thats the best yall can come up with..... Good luck close minded folks

Tom

I love Fantasia and besides the millions of dollars she brought in to "The Color Purple" on Broadway and winning the American Theater Award for her performance, she has performed at the Tony's AND the Grammy's along with being nominated for 7 Grammys after justy two albums! To dismiss her or to degrade her does nothing for people but to expose their own ignorance. This woman is the most fantastic voice of her generation and has the respect and admiration of her peers all over the industry. Even the judges of American Idol recognize Fantasia's talent unanimously calling her "the best singer" and "best personality" after 7 seasons of the show. Comments about her appearance or lack of schooling are quite immature and do nothing but increase others repect and love for her. Generally the people who do not appreciate Fantasia are teenagers who's taste in music is driven by appearance and nothing more (ie. Britney Spears) or TMZ staff, who are basically self loathing overgrown teenagers. Don't belive me? Watch TMZ on tv to see these so-called reporters. Wait! On second thought, don't watch----it's trash!

Candi

I work in Winchester,Va, but live about 36 miles south of there. Apple Blossom in a big "To Do" here. Everyone gets so excited about it. There are activities planned for 2-3 prior to the Grand Feature parade, which will have Fantasia in it. We have celebrities come every year. World-famous musicians come too.
Winchester is not some little hick town that Winchester Girl had described it as. Winchester is a city. We have all kinds of things here.
It's the one time of the year that Winchester citizens come together and enjoy the place and each other. It's fun. I plan on taking my son to the parade, and "Do Dah Day" this Saturday. (Do Dah Day is a big festival for the kids)

Wow

First of all I was born in Winchester. While in middle school and high school I lived in two metropolitan areas and have always returned for Apple Blossom. I now live here again and continue to attend the festivities. Those of you who don't like Fantasia that's fine, but as someone who has set through countless numbers of parades containing country muscians and tv stars from the 1960's, I think it's about time that the festival showed some current and diverse talent. And yes, Fantasia is talented. You don't have to like her music, but why get all upset about it? I never once boycotted the Festival because of country groups, boring bands, loud fire trucks or whatever else I tend to find annoying. I love the festsival, Fantasia and all!
Get a grip and try to enjoy something different for a change! Winchester is growing and changing and it's about time the Apple Blossom festival follows suit. I'm not saying that it shouldn't follow traditions, traditions are great. I just think it's about time that they invite more diverse talent to the area. If you don't like the way things are changing then move to West Virginia!

Al McGilvray

The Apple Blossom Festival attracts 300,000 people to a Northen Virginia town of 25,000 every year. In the past few years we have had Sean Astin and the daughter of Martin Short appear. In the past, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Katie Couric, Willard Scott and others have appeared. Fantasia is in good company.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4