Peter Strauss Bitten, Dog Bites Dust

4/24/2008 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

peter straussActor Peter Strauss was viciously attacked by a pit bull -- and the attack was so bad, the authorities put down the dog.

Here's what we know. A 30-pound pit bull mix escaped through its owner's fence late last month and attacked 61-year-old Strauss ('memba "Rich Man, Poor Man"?), who was on his property outside of Ojai, CA. We're told the ferocious dog found Strauss in his orchard and attacked him. Strauss was eventually able to escape by climbing up a tree.

A struggle ensued, and the dog eventually went on the hunt for fresh skin, attacking a neighbor. The Ventura County Dept. of Animal Regulation came and subdued the dog with a dog-catching pole.

The dog's owner surrendered the animal to the VCDAR and requested it be put down ... which it was.

We know Strauss was bitten in the legs. He was taken to the hospital and treated.

Insert comical name here

Lolita, I don't know who you are trying to characterize as rednecks, but many urban and innercity people of color have pit bulls and that is not who I think of when I hear the term redneck. The very fact that these dogs can be extremely unpredictable is what makes them so very dangerous. Its the ones that seem friendly that often turn on the family children. And yes, any animal can be dangerous and some animals are naturally agressive, no matter how much training is invested into them.

Lolita

The name "Brenda" has always sounded to me like a waitress at a truck-stop....

good grief!

this is a very sensitive subject, a lot of upset people with differents views on one particula breed. I've never had a pit so I really have nothing to say, I have not been close enough to one,either, to know if it would or would not bite me, too chicken to put myself too close to the animal.

my point is that EVERYONE has different views on this breed, and it is not worth getting all upset about it! hell my pet perakee bit me! and its a flipping bird! geez (well thats not true, just wanting to prove that ALL animals bite)

NY is the best state on earth

# 48 Lolita

Vick is a red neck.. ??? yea all the rap vid's are rednecks. haaaaa....

PLEASE don't even use the word redneck because you know nothing

Kat

I was walking home from a party early one morning, and a Pitt Bull was sitting in the front yard of a residence. I was minding my own business, and he came across the street and he wouldn't let me pass. Every place that I walked, it followed me no matter where I went. I could feel my heart racing inside my chest, and I was trying to keep calm. I felt like he was stalking me. He could feel the fear inside me, and I was thinking that was going to be it for me. I saw a car come down the road, and I got in the middle of the road and got it to stop. I told the driver that I was going to be this creature's meal pretty soon, and she actually drove me down the street and dropped me off. I was so very thankful that she gave me a ride.

Ida Clair

I don't understand why anyone would want to temp fate with these unpredictable breeds. Does it give the owners some feeling of being superior because their dog hasn't hurt anyone? I wonder how they feel after the dog does something horrible. To me, it's just not worth the risk. There are plenty of other breeds to choose from.

Now A Believer

Disgusted in Dallas:

We never STOPPED trying to "rehab" our pit bull. That is why we held off euthanasia after he bit our daughter IN THE FACE! (Yeah I know people, STUPID MOVE) I have always been a dog lover, ya da ya da,...it's not the dog it's the owner. BS! Three separate vets and the animal behaviorist told us to put the pit bull down before someone got more than a scar from his unprovoked attacks.

Lolita

#60, I LIVE in Atlanta, lmao. To me a "redneck" applies to any uneducated moron. Vick included.

Insert comical name here

Lolita,
Usually its the uneducated morons who refer to others as uneducated morons or who use racial, regional or economic slurs against people who are different than themselves. Your probably the exception to this rule.

Lolita

#59, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I lived across the street from one and it looked at my small children like that every day.

There is no such thing as reality tv

I have a dog, but do feel Pit Bulls are dangerous. I have seen too many people hurt or killed in the city I live in to be convinced they are a "docile" breed.

NY is the best state on earth

Lolita,

Honestly, I get offended when people use the term redneck. I don’t think I should use the “N” word and I don’t think people should call others names like redneck. I own guns, boats, fishing rods, camo, bows, ect… Does that make me a redneck? No its just means I enjoy the outdoors. So to be serious and sound really soft, yea I do get offended. Just like N word, just shouldn’t be used… Unless you are that immature to use name calling?

Insert comical name here

NY,
I like you but I think you might find more people who agree with your attitudes in my state, Texas. You are welcome to visit and reevaluate your rankings anytime.

me

then by your definition lolita, you are redneck... a big one, because based on your comments, this subject is clearly above your level of intelligence. and regardless of your position on pits, you have chosen to approach this situation in a very childish manner.

Lara

Pit bulls are prone to turn vicious even if raised with kindness. My brother-in-law, a postman, was viciously attacked by one of these so called "docile, sweet, loving" pit bulls who escaped from it's back yard where it resided with a nice family. I call "bull" crap on these posts who always blame the owners- ........talk to my brother-in-law with the forever scarred arm who is only alive because somebody whacked the thing on the head with a board and it let go.