Peter Strauss Bitten, Dog Bites Dust

4/24/2008 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

peter straussActor Peter Strauss was viciously attacked by a pit bull -- and the attack was so bad, the authorities put down the dog.

Here's what we know. A 30-pound pit bull mix escaped through its owner's fence late last month and attacked 61-year-old Strauss ('memba "Rich Man, Poor Man"?), who was on his property outside of Ojai, CA. We're told the ferocious dog found Strauss in his orchard and attacked him. Strauss was eventually able to escape by climbing up a tree.

A struggle ensued, and the dog eventually went on the hunt for fresh skin, attacking a neighbor. The Ventura County Dept. of Animal Regulation came and subdued the dog with a dog-catching pole.

The dog's owner surrendered the animal to the VCDAR and requested it be put down ... which it was.

We know Strauss was bitten in the legs. He was taken to the hospital and treated.

Lolita

#68 Well, I grew up in the south (born in NY) and we throw the term around a lot down here... It's not the same as the "N" word. AT ALL.

good grief!

The name "Brenda" has always sounded to me like a waitress at a truck-stop....

the name lolita is commonly used among prostitutes!

at least I make a descent DISCEASE free living, whats your excuse!?

Lolita

Um, Brenda, my real name is not Lolita, lol. I'm guessing Brenda is really yours, who would CHOOSE it on purpose? Lol. Btw, you did misspell the word "DISEASE". Lol.

Liz

Now A Believer, I understand now. I was not aware that you DID try and rehab the dog! I think sometimes, breeders are responsible for inbreeding and when that happens you never really know what tempermant the animal will have!

Now A Believer

DISCEASE?????????

Lolita

#72 you are posting on TMZ.com (not sure if you were aware of that) NOT mensa.com. Lmao. This is not the place to go if you are looking for a high level discussion.

good grief!

huh!

Now A Believer

Disgusted In Dallas:

Thanks for understanding. It was incredibly hard on all of us. My husband, with stitches in his face, held the dog as he was euthanised. We loved him from a puppy, as we have all of our dogs. There was something in him that was not right. I couldn't SWEAR it was because he was a pit bull, but I will never again own one.

Bombeydoon

I agree that the Pit bulls are bred and have it in their blood to kill and or attack. Too many previously docile and sweet P.B.'s have turned on their owners and their owners children with no prior abuse from their owners. These dogs should not be in any kind of family home with children. Or for that matter around people at all.

Liz

Lolita, Yes one can have a high level discussion on TMZ if we don't have to stop and comment on pathetic insults from you!

Lolita

Okay, you folks enjoy the rest of your discussion. I'm off to run my not-mauled-by-a-pit-bull-child to soccer practice.

Tim

I hope the owner does some time. People are responsible for their dog's actions.

Lolita

Okay, real quick.... Dallas, you come to a website which shows pics of Paris Hilton's naked crotch with a superimposed star on it for high level discussions? Okay, just checking.

Tim

People who own this type of dog have mental problems themselves.

pitbull lover

#39 YOU ARE AN IDIOT. Do your homework on the breed before you say to end it. As long as the dog owner, of any dog, follows the rules, if your state, city or county, has any, you will be fine. It's the owners that have trained their dog(s) to be aggressive and don't have them behind a fence and chained up that seem to be the problem. There is also a big problem with people just having their dogs chained up all the time and not walking them or taking them to exercise. Those are the dogs that get off their chain or out of their yard and hurt people or other animals. Dogs need to be exercised to keep their mind stable so they don't go crazy from boredom. My dogs are chained up, behind a gate with beware of dog signs up. If you are stupid enough to open my gate and come in when my sign says beware of dog and no trespassing you do so at your own risk.