Wesley Gets Three Years!!!

4/24/2008 6:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wesley SnipesA judge has just sentenced Wesley Snipes to three years in prison for tax evasion. Forget black -- always bet on the U.S. government!

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead, the judge ruled he could surrender at a later date, closer to his New Jersey home.

Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division, said, "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him and his co-defendants ... as inmates in prison."

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes. The government claimed he owed $2.7 mil -- but Snipes' attorneys argued it was just $228,000. No fine was imposed, but the three-year sentence was the max he could have gotten.

Celebrity friends Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson wrote letters in his defense to appeal for leniency. Oh well ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

STEPHANIE

I CERTAINLY DON'T THINK HE SHOULD BE SENT TO DO TIME. THE GOV. SHOULD WORRY ABOUT MORE SERIOUS ISSUES, LIKE METH THAT IS DESTROYING CHILDREN AND FAMILIES. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ADDRESS TO WRITE TO HIM WHILE HE'S PRISON.

JessBcuz

WOWWWWWW!!!!

JDP

First?

pie in the sky

Good!!! If I have to pay taxes on the peanuts I make....pay yours on the millions.

Chuck

I'm sure it will be a suspended sentence.

Balls

ouch

James

He should have paid his taxes. He's not special just because he's a celebrity.

Moneypenny

LOL- I agree with #5, that was so f"en funny! True true!!!

LadyVamp

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Ramone

soon, his butthole will be getting stretched from this (o) to this (O)

Morgan

wow was not expecting that one! Watch how many people will call it racist! He deserves it! That's what happens when you don't pay your taxes!!

georgem

Justice for a movie star at last!

Ken

Can you say appeal?

Karen

I'll admit I didn't follow the case closely, so I don't know the true extent of his 'tax evasion'; however, I do think 3 years IMPRISIONMENT is too harsh. I don't think we should use the penal system to make an example of people. Snipes shouldn't bear the brunt of possible future tax evaders. The fact that he was acquitted of the felonies--and has no priors--should warrant probation AND a hefty fine (whatever's owed plus interest). This makes no sense to me.

courtney smith

Dont these people ever learn not to mess with uncle sam

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments