Wesley Gets Three Years!!!

4/24/2008 6:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wesley SnipesA judge has just sentenced Wesley Snipes to three years in prison for tax evasion. Forget black -- always bet on the U.S. government!

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead, the judge ruled he could surrender at a later date, closer to his New Jersey home.

Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division, said, "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him and his co-defendants ... as inmates in prison."

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes. The government claimed he owed $2.7 mil -- but Snipes' attorneys argued it was just $228,000. No fine was imposed, but the three-year sentence was the max he could have gotten.

Celebrity friends Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson wrote letters in his defense to appeal for leniency. Oh well ...

WTF

Why does every god damn thing that involves any knid of a minority have to be about racism?????????? Member Marth Stewart? That white bread served some time for a white collar crime too. It is not racism. They are making an example out of him.

Redheaded Wonder

If you have to pay taxes like that, it means that you made money. Quit the quibbling and get on with it!! Perhaps you'll have to forgo that vacation to Belize to pay your back taxes, but I am sure that you'll be none the worse for the wear!

Kat

Hmmm...how can he got to jail for not paying his taxes, when there is no law that you actually have to pay federal taxes? And don't say there is. Quote me the law, if there really is one.

Cristina

the word racism is getting a bit boring now....stop using it everytime something happens, its annoying

shirliana

I TRULYBELIEVE THAT HIS 3 YEARS INPRISON WAS EXTREMELY ** HARSH**... GOD,,, LOOK AT THE CELEBS WHO ARE HIDING THEIR PROCEEDS NOT TO PAY SO MUCH TAXES.....IRS SHUD DO SOME INVESTIGATION.,.. HOW COME THAT OTHER CELEBS WHO HAS NOT PAID THEIR TAXES ARE NOT IN ** PRISON**???????? WHY?????????? THAT';S MY QUESTION... WESLEY JUST KEEP ONHANGING ON THERE/// WE WILL PRAY FOR U............ IT WAS NOT A GOOD DECISION FOR 3 YEARS... U HAD THE MONEY... U COULD HAVE PAID IRS WHAT U OWE ... JUST 3 MONTHS IN JAIL WOULD BE OK. BUT NOT 3 YEARS..... TAKE CARE

shirliana

#13 - CELEBS ARE HELD FOR APPROX 80 MNS IN JAIL..... FOR UR INFORMATION... WHY WESLEY.????????IS IT HIS COLOR?????????????????? I PRESUME SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

egriffin

I can't feel sorry for Wesley. Sorry brotha but if my "living from paycheck to paycheck" black a** can pay my taxes, then certainly you can!

I DO think, however, it is funny however you can get 3 years for tax evasion but you only get a slap on the wrist for DUI's and endagering lives.

shirliana

please ADVISE WHAT CELEB TOOK 3 YEARS IN PRISON FOR NOT PAYING TAXES??????????? ANSWER THAT QUESTION... THERE ARE 3 CELEBS THAT HAVE NOT PAID TAXES... ARE THEY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT??? THE THREE CELEBS ARE WHITE... WESLEY IS BLACK SO THAT'S WHY THEY WERE HARSH ON HIM...

egriffin

On the surface, it seems unfair since this was a non-violent crime but remember something, this was under FEDERAL jurisdiction whereas Paris Hilton, Linsdey Lohan and Britney Spears were all local crimes.

By the way, I totally agree those people I named should've gotten harsher sentences! But, again, I don't think it was racist. I think it was right. If my black a** has to pay taxes, so should he!

Tina

He broke the law. He has to pay taxes like the rest of us. Now he is going to jail where he belongs. Race has nothing to do with it. He made millions and Im sure he has enough left over after paying his taxes that he will live his life out in luxury.

SP

He will only do about 90 days if that. And I agree he should have paid his taxes, but I would bet that if they found out Bill Clinton, Obama, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, Oprah, etc... did not pay their taxes they would not get this time. They would probably forgive their debt. Even people who are poor don't pay taxes, they get back more than they pay in. It all comes down to your so called middle class the ones who really do work hard and try to support their families. The ones Obama and Hillary really want to tax more.

Liz

Wesley needs to be thanking God that they did not convit him on the fraud and conspiracy charges! He is a VERY lucky man that he ONLY got 3 years. He will be going to a white collar pen (country club) and will probably be out in a year! Now, that is the injustice of it all!!!!!

fred

unbelievable.....the peerverted Joe from girls gone wild gets nada and wesley gets 3 yrs....what kind of country are we living in!

dbreeze

Give me a break #13,,,Ever hear of Leona Helmsley? I'm sick of hearing about this racial bull. Boo Hoo, I'm black, don't arrest me, don't take me to jail...Allow me to do whatever I want and then I'll go to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I don't have to follow any rules or laws because family I never even met were slaves to the white man. The black race is the ONLY race to have something horrible happen to them. GET OVER IT already.

Darv

29, Didn't Martha Stewart spend some time in a Federal Prison? Wasn't she white?

Alright. STFU.