"Lost" Diary -- The Shape of Things to Come

4/25/2008 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LostHey, Daniel from TMZ here -- welcome to another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

My friend Chris has been great about IMing me the morning of "Lost" and giving me a good one-liner that really sets me up for this blog. Thursday morning he only sent me this: "I totally forgot that 'Lost' started back up tonight. That's like f**king Christmas." Couldn't have said it better myself.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am watching tonight's episode of "Lost" solo -- I needed to watch the East Coast feed so I wouldn't end up staying up all night. Gotta get my shuteye. Let's roll:

10:02 -- Previously on "Lost" has never been so useful. I almost forgot what was going on, it's been so long. So there was a plane crash, right?

10:03 -- I like when "Lost" ends chaotically one week, then starts off slow the next. Particularly when that slow start consists of Kate in a state of undress.

10:04 -- When you're hoping a boat is going to come and rescue you, having the doctor of said boat wash up dead on shore is probably a bad omen. Just a thought.

10:05 -- "Australia is the key to the whole game." -- Hurley. Fun fact: I have never played Risk.

10:06 -- Predictably, Alex turns off the super fence. Question -- is Rousseau really dead? I go with no.

10:07 -- "They're here." -- Ben. Carol Anne, is that you?

10:11 -- I managed to go this entire week without seeing one "Lost" commercial or reading a single spoiler. So the fact that this is a Ben flash-forward is a complete surprise to me. Color me excited.

10:12 -- Ben seems to have fallen from the sky and landed in the Sahara Desert, with a wounded arm, and stumbled onto a couple of guys on horses wearing turbans and armed with Ak-47s. Clearly someone slipped me acid during the commercial break.

10:13 -- I have to admit, Ben going all Jason Bourne on those guys was kind of a letdown. Ben is like the guy from "Princess Bride" -- he's all intellect. I don't like the fact he's got a black belt, too. It's inconceivable.

10:15 -- "When? When is kind of a relative term." -- Farraday. I missed that guy.

10:16 -- One of my biggest pet peeves about "Lost' is how there are dozens of random people running around who never say or do anything. Apparently the producers have decided to cut that number down by having some of them walk into gunfire. Natural selection.

10:17 -- "Lost" does gunfights about as well as Britney Spears sings. BTW -- did Claire just blow up? That would be anticlimactic.

10:20 -- Dean Moriarty is checking into the Tunisia Hilton ... but he's not 100% sure of the year. Nothing unsuspicious about that.

10:21 -- Sayid is on the TV, and apparently his wife is dead. R.I.P. Nadia.

10:22 -- Ben is planning a field trip to Jacob's cabin and it involves Hurley. Better pack an extra picnic basket.

10:24 -- Ding dong! Miles is at the door and he's got a walkie-talkie.

10:29 -- Yup, Nadia is dead and here comes Ben to pay his respects.

10:31 -- Ben has finally tracked down Sayid and we're beginning to see how he recruited Sayid to work for him -- by exploiting Nadia's death. Same way he always gets people to do what he wants.

10:36 -- Ok, I didn't go minute-by-minute during the Ben vs. Martin mercenary scene for a reason -- I couldn't. As someone who pours over the minutia of "Lost' every week, I have come to learn something. Since there are so many characters spread out over the island, "Lost" has a ton of scenes, usually lasting about a minute, maybe two in length. But when they decide to hunker down for a good five-minute scene, look out. I loved this scene, I really didn't know how it was going to play out. Have we ever seen Ben truly lose in a situation? Not this badly, that's for sure. A+ scene.

10:37 -- Oh, almost forgot -- R.I.P. Alex.

10:40 -- "He changed the rules." -- Ben. He's not taking this well at all.

10:41 -- Ben scurried off into his fortress of solitude and then snuck off into a Batcave. I literally couldn't make another comic book reference if I tried.

10:44 -- "Benjamin, who is next?" -- Sayid. Ben is pretty happy with himself.

10:45 -- Black Smoke Monster? Hey, it's Ben. Well, not so good actually. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I am locked inside a house and these six mercenary guys are trying to kill me and they just executed my daughter right in front of me. Yeah, I know. Sucks, right? Do you think you could take care of them for me? Really? Oh, man I totally owe you one. Say hi to the Mrs. for me. Linus, out.

10:50 -- Bernard, who never ceases to surprise, exposed Farraday for lying about the Morse code message. BTW -- Jack looks likes grim death.

10:52 -- After a bit of a pissing match, Hurley agrees to go with Locke and Ben. Of course he does, he has to find the cabin.

10:54 -- Ben is heading up to the penthouse suite of some building in London. Any predictions on who is there? I am going with Penny, and Ben kills her.

10:55 -- Close, it's Charles Widmore. That was the safe bet.

10:56 -- Why can't Ben kill Widmore?

10:57 -- "I know who you are, boy, what you are. I know that everything you have you took from me." Widmore to Ben.

10:58 -- "I'm here Charles to tell you I'm going to kill your daughter. Penelope, is it?" -- Ben to Widmore. I was close!

10:59 -- "Sleep tight, Charles." -- Ben

I used to judge an episode of "Lost" by what we learned that week. Lately though, I feel like we're learning less each week than ever before (as if that was possible). Yet, I still find myself enjoying every week, even though every episode fails my "What did we learn?" test.

This week is no different; we learned a few things (Ben can control the smoke monster, for example). But how many big "reveals" have we really had this season? Can't say I have ever been totally blown away at any point.

Tonight though gave us a handful of new questions, which on "Lost" is the far more common occurrence. How does Ben control the smoke monster? How he did land up in the desert? Why can't he kill Widmore? Why does Widmore think the island was once his? What happened to the boat doctor and why did the boat people think he was fine? What are the "rules" Ben spoke of? Why did "Lost" start at 10:02? Did America really need two extra minutes of "Grey's"?

In the end, I found this to be another solid episode of "Lost" -- I enjoyed it the whole way through, even if it never gave me that "OH MY GOD!!!!" moment, though I loved the Alex execution scene. Solid B from me.

I am bringing back an oldie but goodie for my question to you this week -- if you could have one "Lost" question answered next week, which would it be?

Racquel

My question for next week will always be the same...WHO'S IN THE DAMN COFFIN?? (from the future)

Victoria

So I'm feely so sad for Ben after Alex is murdered by Keamy....then I see that smirk on Ben's face after he gets Sayid to "join" him......I really love hating Ben!!!! and I will NEVER trust anything he has to say

Thank goodness that Bernard knew Morse code.............Daniel to be so smart - you sure are dumb!........Charlotte...I want to kill you.

Surely Ben will NOT kill Penny???????

Jess

I think I really kinda expected more from a Ben storyline. Can’t really tell you why it didn’t hit the spot. I loved Bernard calling Faraday out about his Morse Code lie, though. I was hoping that the first episode back would be mind blowing … maybe my expectations were too high. I hope they continue the “going to Jacobs” storyline into next weeks episode. Also, how about Faraday explaining WHY he never planned to save them or let them on the boat, what the hell is in that “batcave” or why the mention of 3.2 million dollars again??? And that’s just the questions I would like to see answered from THIS episode !!!

lost it

You forget the best line of the night : Sawyer to Locke "If you hurt one curly hair on his head, I will kill you." Love it!

Oh Please

I kept telling my boyfriend last night "I love Ben - but I HATE him...I love him and it's wrong because he's so freaking evil but he is brilliant!!!" I waited for Sawyer to beat the crap out of him for getting his daughter killed...I totally did not see that coming, her being executed.

This was the best episode I've seen this season, even though Desmond wasn't featured. :(

LostinBoston

Maybe the doctor slit his own throat after reading your last write up?

Locke is (still) the man...

Great googly moogly!

I thought that episode was great, but maybe that was just a combination of lots of Ben and Locke, and a lack of Lost nutrition. Even lima beans taste good when you're starving... (well, maybe not lima beans).

I really enjoyed Bens expressions and dialog... the ninja-Ben in the desert was a bit far-fetched, but he didn't go all-out Bourne with a 5 minute fight/chase scene - It's was more of a "Kate hiding behind the door to attack Juliet and gets laid out on the floor" scene, which was enjoyable.

The rules, the rules... With Widmore's comment of "everything you have taken from me", I wonder if the island's Dharma group was funded by Widmore in his younger years that turned sour... Perhaps there was an uneasy agreement between Dharma: Reloaded (Ben's group) and whoever they were providing information to (Widmore)... i.e. "You leave us alone, and we'll continue research and providing information". Widmore could have grown impatient with the progress of the research, which explains the search for the island, the transplanted researchers (Farraday et al), and the military strikes to take the island "back".

I dunno. Can't wait to find out.

Fun episode - I'd say a good B+.

Carl Funday

Ok, so the one question I want answered for next week, is why in the world am I always rooting for Ben, he's supposed to be bad. I want LOST to reveal his good side soon, so I can feel a little better about myself.

I also, don't think that Rpusseau is dead. I think Faraday is more involved than we think.

what the??!!!

My question is, if Widmore's daughter is Penelope then doesn't it seem like that would be the Penny that Desmond is in love with? And since Desmond has been on the island a long time it makes some kind of sense that possibly Desmond met Penny a long time ago and that Widmore has alot more to do with the island than we previously thought and maybe he and Ben might have at first started their "game playing" on the island for possession of it?
This is a great show and as always, afterwards I am LOST!!

anna armani

Dean Moriarty is one of the protagonists in Jack Kerouac's novel On the Road. Dean grew up in Colorado with a hobo/bum for a father for whom he searches on many occasions. Dean's fanatic personality races from journey to journey and pulls other people along. His various fixations include drugs, women, intellectualism and finally, his father and family life. His marriage and divorce with Camille and Mary Lou and his last affair with Inez are a few examples of his romantic entanglements.

fireflyyb

Ben's character is so awesome. He's such a scary enemy, but at the same time...he's the guy you want to be with in a tight spot. LOL I actually felt bad for him when Alex died....then I felt scared of him because you KNOW he's super pissed now. Jack's got an appendix rupturing (ie...him taking the antibiotics and gripping his side in pain...they confirmed my guess during the trailer for next week). I guess that's how Jack gets off the island..he needs immediate medical attention. I agree...Lost always seems to raise more questions than it answers every week. Like...I'm still wondering what ends up happening to Claire that Jack ends up feeling guilt about (in the episode of Kate's flash forward after the trail...Jack seems really hesitant to visit Kate and Ethan...like there's something that happened with Claire he feels responsible for. I dunno). And...are they ever going to find out they're related? (remember Claire is Jack's half-sister through his dad's affair). LOL everyone is connected somehow.
And another thing...Sawyer is hot!!!!

capsfan

I loved last night's episode, had me on the edge the whole time!

Is anyone else as pissed about the amount of commercial breaks as I am? Freakin ridiculous!!!!

Denise

This was a wonderful eprisode! Ben is just a fantastic actor! It's a wonder he hasn't won an award yet-
I was so glad to see the Smoke Monster back- It's my favorite thing on the island- I think in a way Ben redeemed
himself by unleashing the Smoke Monster. You could feel all his rage come out in the monster itself.

I guess I want to know more about Jacob- Who is he? Denise

Tosca

Great episode. My question is do you think Ben killed Sayids wife so he could get him to kill Widmore's people? Ben was too happy when he walked away from Sayid.

Ang

The boat people did not think that the doctor was fine. Daniel lied about what the boat people said. That's when Bernard caught him in a lie about the morse code. I want to know why Widmore thinks that it was his island. Did Ben win it from him in a hand of poker??