"Lost" Diary -- The Shape of Things to Come

4/25/2008 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LostHey, Daniel from TMZ here -- welcome to another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

My friend Chris has been great about IMing me the morning of "Lost" and giving me a good one-liner that really sets me up for this blog. Thursday morning he only sent me this: "I totally forgot that 'Lost' started back up tonight. That's like f**king Christmas." Couldn't have said it better myself.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am watching tonight's episode of "Lost" solo -- I needed to watch the East Coast feed so I wouldn't end up staying up all night. Gotta get my shuteye. Let's roll:

10:02 -- Previously on "Lost" has never been so useful. I almost forgot what was going on, it's been so long. So there was a plane crash, right?

10:03 -- I like when "Lost" ends chaotically one week, then starts off slow the next. Particularly when that slow start consists of Kate in a state of undress.

10:04 -- When you're hoping a boat is going to come and rescue you, having the doctor of said boat wash up dead on shore is probably a bad omen. Just a thought.

10:05 -- "Australia is the key to the whole game." -- Hurley. Fun fact: I have never played Risk.

10:06 -- Predictably, Alex turns off the super fence. Question -- is Rousseau really dead? I go with no.

10:07 -- "They're here." -- Ben. Carol Anne, is that you?

10:11 -- I managed to go this entire week without seeing one "Lost" commercial or reading a single spoiler. So the fact that this is a Ben flash-forward is a complete surprise to me. Color me excited.

10:12 -- Ben seems to have fallen from the sky and landed in the Sahara Desert, with a wounded arm, and stumbled onto a couple of guys on horses wearing turbans and armed with Ak-47s. Clearly someone slipped me acid during the commercial break.

10:15 -- "When? When is kind of a relative term." -- Farraday. I missed that guy.

10:16 -- One of my biggest pet peeves about "Lost' is how there are dozens of random people running around who never say or do anything. Apparently the producers have decided to cut that number down by having some of them walk into gunfire. Natural selection.

10:17 -- "Lost" does gunfights about as well as Britney Spears sings. BTW -- did Claire just blow up? That would be anticlimactic.

10:20 -- Dean Moriarty is checking into the Tunisia Hilton ... but he's not 100% sure of the year. Nothing unsuspicious about that.

10:21 -- Sayid is on the TV, and apparently his wife is dead. R.I.P. Nadia.

10:22 -- Ben is planning a field trip to Jacob's cabin and it involves Hurley. Better pack an extra picnic basket.

10:24 -- Ding dong! Miles is at the door and he's got a walkie-talkie.

10:29 -- Yup, Nadia is dead and here comes Ben to pay his respects.

10:31 -- Ben has finally tracked down Sayid and we're beginning to see how he recruited Sayid to work for him -- by exploiting Nadia's death. Same way he always gets people to do what he wants.

10:36 -- Ok, I didn't go minute-by-minute during the Ben vs. Martin mercenary scene for a reason -- I couldn't. As someone who pours over the minutia of "Lost' every week, I have come to learn something. Since there are so many characters spread out over the island, "Lost" has a ton of scenes, usually lasting about a minute, maybe two in length. But when they decide to hunker down for a good five-minute scene, look out. I loved this scene, I really didn't know how it was going to play out. Have we ever seen Ben truly lose in a situation? Not this badly, that's for sure. A+ scene.

10:37 -- Oh, almost forgot -- R.I.P. Alex.

10:40 -- "He changed the rules." -- Ben. He's not taking this well at all.

10:41 -- Ben scurried off into his fortress of solitude and then snuck off into a Batcave. I literally couldn't make another comic book reference if I tried.

10:44 -- "Benjamin, who is next?" -- Sayid. Ben is pretty happy with himself.

10:45 -- Black Smoke Monster? Hey, it's Ben. Well, not so good actually. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I am locked inside a house and these six mercenary guys are trying to kill me and they just executed my daughter right in front of me. Yeah, I know. Sucks, right? Do you think you could take care of them for me? Really? Oh, man I totally owe you one. Say hi to the Mrs. for me. Linus, out.

10:50 -- Bernard, who never ceases to surprise, exposed Farraday for lying about the Morse code message. BTW -- Jack looks likes grim death.

10:52 -- After a bit of a pissing match, Hurley agrees to go with Locke and Ben. Of course he does, he has to find the cabin.

10:54 -- Ben is heading up to the penthouse suite of some building in London. Any predictions on who is there? I am going with Penny, and Ben kills her.

10:55 -- Close, it's Charles Widmore. That was the safe bet.

10:56 -- Why can't Ben kill Widmore?

10:57 -- "I know who you are, boy, what you are. I know that everything you have you took from me." Widmore to Ben.

10:58 -- "I'm here Charles to tell you I'm going to kill your daughter. Penelope, is it?" -- Ben to Widmore. I was close!

10:59 -- "Sleep tight, Charles." -- Ben

I used to judge an episode of "Lost" by what we learned that week. Lately though, I feel like we're learning less each week than ever before (as if that was possible). Yet, I still find myself enjoying every week, even though every episode fails my "What did we learn?" test.

This week is no different; we learned a few things (Ben can control the smoke monster, for example). But how many big "reveals" have we really had this season? Can't say I have ever been totally blown away at any point.

Tonight though gave us a handful of new questions, which on "Lost" is the far more common occurrence. How does Ben control the smoke monster? How he did land up in the desert? Why can't he kill Widmore? Why does Widmore think the island was once his? What happened to the boat doctor and why did the boat people think he was fine? What are the "rules" Ben spoke of? Why did "Lost" start at 10:02? Did America really need two extra minutes of "Grey's"?

In the end, I found this to be another solid episode of "Lost" -- I enjoyed it the whole way through, even if it never gave me that "OH MY GOD!!!!" moment, though I loved the Alex execution scene. Solid B from me.

I am bringing back an oldie but goodie for my question to you this week -- if you could have one "Lost" question answered next week, which would it be?

CC

Right after stating "He changed the rules" Ben went straight into the bat cave seeming like he wanted to address that 'he'. Maybe at that moment Ben 'jump' traveled to London to Widmore's bedroom for the flash forward we saw. Aren't the writer's big Star Wars fans? Ben looked very Jedi Knight-ish in the dsret with that Light Saber-like 'weapon' and his fighting moves.
Is Ben: OBI Wan (Ben Kanobi) or Darth Vader?

Valerie

if anyone saw the movie Saw when Ben was in it, he said the same exact thing- ITS THE RULES! How werid would that be if they connected Saw to Lost- lmao would never happen just thought that was werid

also about Mr Widmore owning the island- idk if anyone remembered but a few episides ago, Widmore bid on a peice of art called the Black Rock which ironically is a place on the island- in this epi, when Ben talks to Widmore at the end, he mentions that it is sunny on the black rock- any connection??

OHHH and i hope he doesnt kill Penny- i love pen and des! :(

Andrea

I want to know what that ghost buster trick that the Asian dude performed.

What is the black smoke?

WHy isnt Juliet talking more?

...This is starting to remind me of that movie The Butterfly Affect.

Love the show and this blog, but Im still LOST!!!

murphy

It's possible tthe reason that Ben can't kill Whitmore is the same reason why Michael was not able to kill himself, the island will not let him. When Ben said Whitmore broke the rules, I think the rule was "you do not kill family". My prediction is Ben will find Penny but Desmond will be there to save her and may be Ben's demise, in the last season of course because Ben is much to enjoyable to have around. I agree Ben did the time warp to get off the island, remember how he avoided but answered Sayid's question on how he got off the island. And regarding why did Jack become ill on the island while it heals others, I had the same question when Ben had the turmor. Maybe the island has a mine of it's own and it selects who to save and not. My question is why hasn't Charlie's body washed ashore and what happened to Eye Patch man? Another question why did the fence have to be turned off, Kate went back and forth did she know the code?

Frank

Regarding the Black Rock, wasn't that the old wooden ship, where the Losties salvaged the unstable dynamite? And I thought Widmore bid on the captain of the Black Rock's journals? Maybe Widmore has been on the island before, maybe chartering the Black Rock to get him there centuries ago, and buying the journals is part of his attempt to locate the island.

momfan

LOVE the weekly update, and all the interaction b/t fans. (minus the haters...create your own site!) I learn so much. I am a 40 yr old mom addicted to the show! Sayid and sawyer are HOT! Jack is NOT! haha but Fox is playing the heck out of his character. BEN IS BAD! (Awesome actor) LOL PLEASE RUN and check out lostisagame.com. I am not affiliated with it at all. But I saw it referenced here, and checked it out. I was up for 2 hrs reading this site/theory. If it isn't correct, then the creator should really work with the show creators to bring it to life. See you next week. Also, don't know if anyone answered the foot statute query, but it was supposedly axed by ABC and we won't see it again.

Gina

My question: When all is said and done and Lost comes to an end ... is everything going to point to Scientology? Like maybe Widmoore is really Xenu? And Ben is L Ron Hubbard?

Wouldn't Tom Cruise get a kick out of that?!? :)

Johnny_No_Name

What still gets me is the big Leg at the end of season 2? could the island be some sort of garden of eden and as i said earlier ben is the devil and charles is God :P

Cant wait for the next ep though, this is a great post

gushing with admiration

Very bestest review EVER!!!
"10:13 -- I have to admit, Ben going all Jason Bourne on those guys was kind of a letdown. Ben is like the guy from "Princess Bride" -- he's all intellect. I don't like the fact he's got a black belt, too. It's inconceivable."

That couldn't have been funnier if you said it "to flave".

Kudos to you, my new reviewing hero!!!!

Beth

I think this episode was pretty good. I am interested to find out about the "black smoke". I can't believe Ben let his daughter get killed.

How does Jack get sick? Thought the island was suppose to keep you from getting ill? Sawyer playing somewhat of a good guy now? He is still HOT!

I can't wait for the next episode.

Teamcheeser

Does the island reside in what is now the Sahara dessert? This would make the island a "land that time forgot" or some such thing... and it would explain why the polar bear with the Dharma collar was excavated in the middle of the dessert.

jfar

I have the "beginnings" of a theory beginning to develop here.

So we know Ben and Widmore are at war. We think we know who Ben is based on the flashbacks. Although, curious how Ben has been told to his face by Miles and then Widmore himself, "I know who you are!" ... interesting.

I theorize that there was an "incident" on the island ... probably something to do with Dharma, something about breaking the space/time continuim. There are certain characters that are "in and out" of current space/time. They appear most notably around Desmond. The woman that told him "don't marry Penny,or we'll all die!" She was also in the pic on the priests desk that was instrumental in Penny and Demond meeting. ... remember???

Edmonds the guy that was originally pushing the button. Desmond accidentally killed him while struggling on the rocks.

It appears that there are people trying to manipulate events. Harper suddenly appearing to Juliet. Ben is absolutely trying to manipulate events.

What I can't seem to get any ideas around is Black Rock. Dharma came a hundred and twenty years or so after Black Rock. But the auction, and then Charlie's ring. There is a war going on to manipulate events so that Widmore can go back to a certain right space / time to erase what Ben and the "Hostiles" did to the Dharma people.

I think Ben is trying to keep them from re-aligning events so that some new possibility will emerge ....

It could be that Ben needs to get answeres from Jacob, because Jacob is out of space/time and Ben is "reliving" things, and so he has to do things is just a certain way wthout telling anyone about it or some other "rift in reality" will be coming.

The plane crashing happened cuz of Desmond. I think Desmond has been screwing things up, and Ben keeps having to clean up after him.

But Desmond is the key to everything. We haven't heard the last from Charlie either ......

comments??????

SawyersTherapist

Captain Crunch has been a Captain for over 30 years.
When will the cereal company Make him an Admiral??

kim

OK - I have to tell you that I am a little dissapointed in you! My husband and I almost fell out of our seat when the door bell rang right in the moment of pure pandamonium! After we closed our mouths, wiped up the wine and finished our laugh I said I couldn't WAIT to see what you had to say the next day about THAT!! You skipped over it in your comments like black smoke in the wind ;)

OK - YOUR FORGIVEN!! Lost wouldnt be Lost anymore without you. Keep up the great, fun work!

LizaKay

#100 some of your theories make sense. I wonder if charles wasn't on the island at one time and ben took it away from him while he was away. He could have changed coordinants so Charles couldn't time wrap back to it again. Therefore sending his people by boat.

Also, when Ben time traveled to the desert, he threw-up. It was the same color as the orange drink Julia drank before leaving for the island. Do you suppose she traveled the same way? hmmmm

This show is so interesting it blows me away. I really need to sit down and watch the last two years again to see if any of it is coming together.